Talk

Advanced search

Oh bolleaux - THIS is why you should always try things on in the shop...

(27 Posts)
NorkyButNice Tue 23-Jun-09 14:09:51

I picked up a lovely looking dress in a shop today - in a bit of a rush so took it to the checkout not bothering to try it on, even when I clocked the sign saying they only do exchanges or credit notes, not refunds.

Just unpacked my bag when I got home to discover it's a bloody playsuit and not a dress at all.

Trust me - I do not have the figure for this. Am too scared to even try it on.

Aaarrrgggghhhhh!

mindalina Tue 23-Jun-09 14:12:35

You have to at least try it on

KirstyJC Tue 23-Jun-09 14:13:08

Trying not to laugh here - nearly did the same thing myself last week!! grin

Could you maybe undo the leg bits and stitch them up to make a skirt? (If that makes sense).

If not, cut the leg bits off and make a nice top?

Or save it for a fancy dress party?!

Go on, try it on....I dare you!grin

Squidward Tue 23-Jun-09 14:13:14

another dress?!

NorkyButNice Tue 23-Jun-09 14:17:51

Well it's not a dress so I'm expanding my wardrobe in a whole new direction...

The thing is, it really doesn't look like a playsuit at all! On the hanger you really couldn't tell, so I'm wondering whether it won't be too obvious if I actually wore it.

I'm going to have to try it on, aren't I?

Pinkjenny Tue 23-Jun-09 14:22:34

Yes and you are going to have to put a picture of it on your profile in order for us to advise appropriately.

FlorenceAndtheWashingMachine Tue 23-Jun-09 14:33:21

Try it, try it, try it!

NorkyButNice Tue 23-Jun-09 14:44:59

Right...Well it's not as bad as it could be! It's just a bit weird to be honest.

It's got an elasticated bit at the waist and then the top and bottom bits are both quite voluminous, so I'm not sure if it's just too big for me, or if it's meant to look this way. I guess you wouldn't want a skin-tight playsuit...

I'd happily wear it to lounge around in the garden as it's a nice light cotton. Not sure I'd be brave enough to wear it on the school run or down the shops though, as I would if it were a dress of the same length (where are you supposed to wear these things?).

NorkyButNice Tue 23-Jun-09 14:45:50

Will attempt to take a pic when I find the camera!

differentID Tue 23-Jun-09 14:46:05

picture?
please?
so we can all point and laugh admire your new playsuit?

snowmummy Tue 23-Jun-09 14:50:16

I have also nearly done the same!

NorkyButNice Tue 23-Jun-09 15:20:47

OK I think I've added a couple of pics.

Seeing it on the screen I really am not convinced (although that has as much to do with the state of my thighs as anything else).

Might go down the route of making it into a dress if I can find someone talented with a needle and thread!

cardy Tue 23-Jun-09 15:25:28

it looks nice...there is nothing wrong with you figure.
You could where it on holiday.

EldonAve Tue 23-Jun-09 15:25:33

I like it

differentID Tue 23-Jun-09 15:38:12

it looks nice- I don't know why you're moaning about your figure!

looks great for sunbathing or down to the beach/ park.

UndercoverMuseumWorker Tue 23-Jun-09 15:44:13

Very nice and your figure is fine, stop fishing

Know how you feel though. I bought a lovely summery skirt last year, floaty and gypsysh. Got it home, went to try it on and noticed the two spaghetti straps hmm. So my coverall skirt turned into a skimpy frock and trust me, at my size that ain't an option. And I had to explain what to the shop why I was returning it.

And you know, I picked up the exact same 'skirt' this year as well... hmm

Fimbo Tue 23-Jun-09 15:46:23

I am not sure the pics are doing it justice. Is it brown? If so perhaps try some brown leggings under it and a little cardi with gladiator type sandals?

BobtheWoodmouse Tue 23-Jun-09 15:54:57

That's surely a keeper - you look great.envy

TheHeathenOfSuburbia Tue 23-Jun-09 15:56:15

Well, the shop doesn't do refunds, but it does exchanges - why not see if you can exchange it for a dress?! If that's what you were after, seems simpler than sewing it (TBH chopping my own toes off seems simpler than sewing, maybe that's just me....)

FlorenceAndtheWashingMachine Tue 23-Jun-09 16:12:14

Norkybutnice, you have a very poor body image. You have a nice figure, woman!

It would be too short as a dress - too much risk of knicker exposure. I think that as a playsuit it's very 'summery' and it is perfect beach/park wear as differentID said.

Squidward Tue 23-Jun-09 16:36:31

well i think tis fine you nob
keep it

flier Tue 23-Jun-09 16:51:25

Its lovely, you suit it. Its made me want to go and try one on now, as there are loads in the shops.

brimfull Tue 23-Jun-09 16:52:40

looks nice

wear with flats sandals though -not heels

belgo Tue 23-Jun-09 16:59:26

You have a good figure but that outfit reminds me of culottes I wore in the early 1990s.

NorkyButNice Tue 23-Jun-09 18:01:24

Wow - am surprised at the positive feedback - don't tell me you've all been wearing them and I've been oblivious to it?

It's black with blue/white flower pattern. I've tried it with black leggings underneath and it looks worse (I think due to the culotte problem - brilliantly described by belgo).

Looks aside, it's actually incredibly comfortable (it took me an hour to change out of it this afternoon) so I think I'll keep it - even if I only wear it around the garden/house it doesn't matter.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now