Talk

Advanced search

Please help me find dress for 11 year old who doesn't "do" dresses.....

(24 Posts)
lilolilmanchester Mon 22-Jun-09 12:03:17

... it's for end of Yr 6 do. She would like a dress, but we've looked everywhere and can't find anything she likes which suits/fits/isn't too grown up.
She takes size 8 ladies, so that opens up the field a bit. Nothing too prommy, not strapless, not too low, she's not keen on flowery...and preferably from a store so she can go try on because she is so fussy when it comes to dresses.
We have a fall-back plan, a lovely top with leggins, but it seems all the rest are wearing dresses so would like one last attempt! Thanks.

BonsoirAnna Mon 22-Jun-09 12:04:21

How tall is she? Does she have breasts at all?

lilolilmanchester Mon 22-Jun-09 12:06:46

gosh, don't know how tall (bad mother!) I'd guess 4'10 - 5'. Breasts starting but not enough to "fill" anything!

BonsoirAnna Mon 22-Jun-09 12:08:33

OK, so she doesn't really have a woman's figure yet - still a little girl.

OrmIrian Mon 22-Jun-09 12:10:13

I bought my non-dress wearing DD a dress from Boden. OK it was flowery but not too fussy. It was the crinkle cotton one - blue.

BonsoirAnna Mon 22-Jun-09 12:10:57

This look is good for a pre teen.

lilolilmanchester Mon 22-Jun-09 12:11:34

no, she doesn't have a woman's figure but looks quite grown up and wouldn't want a little girl's dress. At same time, I don't want her to look tarty!

Rubyrubyrubyinthegame Mon 22-Jun-09 12:11:34

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

lilolilmanchester Mon 22-Jun-09 12:13:42

thanks ruby, I like that, and it would suit her but I forgot to say she really doesn't like that type of elasticated top.Which is a nuisance cos there are lots of those around at the mo and would suit her. Honestly, she's not this fussy with other clothes, just dresses!

lilolilmanchester Mon 22-Jun-09 12:16:05

bonsoir, sorry just seen your link. That's very pretty. Will show her but not sure she'd like. Would say she perhaps needs a stronger colour too. She's blonde, but not particularly pale skin if that helps.

lilolilmanchester Mon 22-Jun-09 12:18:48

MMJ - thanks. Another one I like but we have actually seen that and she turned her nose up! Am at the point of staying with the top and leggins, but thought worth asking you all for help. I hate it tho when people are so helpful and the OP dismisses everything - but am doing so on behalf of DD having walked my legs off round various shopping centres recently!

meep Mon 22-Jun-09 12:18:48

bhs? or same thing but more pricey in M&S

tulip shaped?

leggings compromise or this

BonsoirAnna Mon 22-Jun-09 12:19:54

I love this - with the gilet and boots, of course!

lilolilmanchester Mon 22-Jun-09 12:19:54

ooh, those last 2 looking more promising MMJ.

Goober Mon 22-Jun-09 12:20:44

Something like this? with leggings?

LadyGlencoraPalliser Mon 22-Jun-09 12:22:31

M&S have a few.
maxi dress

Black and stripes

Prom dress

Black and white swirls

a bit trendy

lilolilmanchester Mon 22-Jun-09 12:23:30

bonsoir, I think she needs stronger colour than white or cream, but I agree, that is pretty. Meep, the Tammy dress is lovely. The M&S version has too full a skirt - another thing she doesn't like! We got a nice top from H&M ladies which she can wear wtih leggings, so we have a legging option already. Thanks for the ideas

BonsoirAnna Mon 22-Jun-09 12:26:52

TMMJ - I will refrain from throwing insults at your suggestions smile however easily they may spring to my lips fingertips wink

lilolilmanchester Mon 22-Jun-09 12:27:26

wow. so many more suggestions, thanks everyone. Got to go out now, will take a look when I get back. Thanks again everyone

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now