Talk

Advanced search

How do you buy clothes? Because today I have completely failed.

(10 Posts)
MaryMotherOfCheeses Sun 21-Jun-09 22:22:13

When I walk round town with no money, I see racks and racks of gorgeous clothes.

When I walk round town with a reasonable budget and a particular event to buy for... the racks are filled with tat which doesn't suit me.

Am I alone in this?

Doesn't help that shops also had loads of sales which made it look like a jumble sale and really not the inspiration I need.

And as for the shop assistants who say "are you alright there?" It's a shop. I'm browsing. How difficult do they think it can be???? Grrrrrrrrrrr...........

I think I need help.

pollywobbledoodle Sun 21-Jun-09 22:33:33

book a personal shopper session
usually free eg in debenhams
drink tea
let said assistants run around and bring you many outfits

i have had a couple in the last few years for my wedding/casual clothes/work stuff i wasn't under a lot of pressure to buy...though i did on each occasion...mine bought a good range in and didn't steer me towards more expensive stuff particularly
...well worth it imo

applepudding Sun 21-Jun-09 22:35:10

This happens to me as well.

I prefer to buy most of my clothes on-line at the time the new collections go on sale, with a few cheap top ups if anything catches my eye later.

MaryMotherOfCheeses Sun 21-Jun-09 22:39:31

I like the idea of online. Comfort of your own armchair and all that.

But don't you just send masses back? My normal shopping technique is to wander round the entire first floor of House of Frazer and pick up 20 items, then take them all to the changing room. I know there are things which look average on the hanger but look fab on and I've had some of my best stuff that way. But there's also a lot of stuff which really doesn't hang right, or fit right, or just doesn't flatter. And you can't tell till you try it on.

plimple Sun 21-Jun-09 22:40:08

You are not alone! I often set out happy thinking of lovely things I can have after saving up and arranging for DP to look after DD and I end up practically in tears as nothing is right, I just don't "get" clothes, I don't like my pregnant bumpy body and my feet are size 8 and no shop seems to stock them.
Debenhams is too expensive to me.
Clothes swapping is the way forward and not being proud about being a scruff it seems.
Very depressing!

pollywobbledoodle Sun 21-Jun-09 22:40:46

a lot of places do free returns

pollywobbledoodle Sun 21-Jun-09 22:42:25

ps our debenhams has all sorts of concessions from eg topshop to planet

MaryMotherOfCheeses Sun 21-Jun-09 22:44:58

Debenhams does do some nice stuff. Feels odd ot have a persona shopper for ordinary stuff, like it should just be for weddings. And I'm not sure I cuold do all that and then buy nothing.

How long do they spend with you? Don't you feel obliged after all that?

pollywobbledoodle Sun 21-Jun-09 22:52:32

an hour and a half iirc

i didn't feel obliged...they are paid by the store and are not on commission

did have one unsuccessful session in a different store.....she didn't bring me anything i liked so i said no....if you were feeling a bit wimpy you could always buy something then return it

applepudding Sun 21-Jun-09 23:10:00

You are right that having to return stuff you order on line to try on is a pain.

Especially if you are like me and have not accepted that you are definitely a size 14 now and do not need to order a size 12 as well 'just in case'.

However, a lot of companies use a courier service and you just phone them up to collect from your house.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now