Talk

Advanced search

What are your current best buys (high street/affordable)? I'm going to revamp my wardrobe and need inspiration!

(22 Posts)
Caz10 Fri 19-Jun-09 22:15:37

haven't bought clothes for over 2 years - wardrobe is a post-pregnancy disaster - I'm cutting my hours at work soon and will have no money - so while I do, I'm SHOPPING!!

Magazines always tell you you need a good white shirt and jeans as your capsule wardrobe - there must be more to it than that!

So...what have you bought recently that you can't live without and would recommend??

Thanks!

HolyGuacamole Fri 19-Jun-09 22:16:50

watching smile

mrsmaidamess Fri 19-Jun-09 22:19:04

Leggings

Cotton loose dress with straps to wear over said leggings

Linen mix blazer Matalan (looks much more expensive than that)

Gladiator style flat sandals

Thin cardis to wear in evenings, bright coral pinky red , also Uniqlo.

Think outside the 'jeans' box. There are lots of alternatives that look more modern.

Caz10 Fri 19-Jun-09 22:23:44

What's Uniqlo?? [out of fashion loop emocion..]

Are ballet pumps still acceptable, I'm scared of Gladiator sandals!

tigerdriver Fri 19-Jun-09 22:24:50

white shirt only works IMO if you don't have a bust, otherwise you can look like a white sofa, and there's the ironing.

It's summer, dresses and cardigans or some sort of jacket (white cotton/linen for smart or denim for anything else) are the thing, not skirts as you have to have loads of matching tops and they don't look as nice.

Dress and leggings if you feel you can do it (I really can't, it just doesnt speak to me)

Depends on your version of affordable but lots of places have sales at the moment. I got some nice stuff (two dresses and a cardigan plus a bracelet which was almost the most expensive bit) from Hobbs a couple of weeks ago - there was a huge discount on some of it (not all, needless to say).

BunnyLebowski Fri 19-Jun-09 22:26:57

Oy vey with the leggings already sad

They're woeful. Just because something is fashionable does not mean it looks good. Give me a good fitting pair of jeans anyday.

Agree with the blazer suggestion though and colourful cardies are always a good look.

What shape/size are you? And what's your colouring?

Chuffinnora Fri 19-Jun-09 22:27:23

Another vote for leggings. Make the shortish dresses everywhere at the mo accessible to an old crone like me so will be brill for a lovely young thing like you.

Lots of accessories also: belts, long beads, bangles make an outfit come together.

Little cardi's: bracelet sleeves and short on the waist work well with back linen trousers and a vest top and make a small wardrobe stretch.

Caz10 Fri 19-Jun-09 22:30:59

I'm a skinny size 10, and I do mean skinny, not nicely slim, just a bit saggy and boney! A figure like an 11 year old boy and pale gingery colouring. Don't all rush at once to envy my gorgeousness! grin

I feel too mumsy to carry off the leggings - but I feel to young to dress very formally iyswim? But that currently just translates as wearing jeans and trainers and then at a distance I DO look like an 11yr old boy.

Would like to dress prettier and funkier (but classy funk!)

tigerdriver Fri 19-Jun-09 22:33:07

definitely ditch the jeans then!

dresses all the way. How I wish I was a skinny size 10, saggy or not. Won't happen this lifetime I suspect grin

mrsmaidamess Fri 19-Jun-09 22:34:03

I have these and they look great on. Not too gladiatorish either

Caz10 Fri 19-Jun-09 22:35:48

Do I wear sandals with leggings?

BunnyLebowski Fri 19-Jun-09 22:38:51

Wearing jeans doesn't have to mean frumpy mom jeans and trainers. Well fitted jeans with some funky shoes with a bit of a heel. With a camisole and a pretty cardie or with a vest and a blazer.

Accessories are key to looking "put together". I find places like river island, matalan and accessorize do great earrings, necklaces and bangles - will lift almost any outfit!

Dresses are a fave of mine. With flat sandals and nicely painted toes in summer and with opaques and my trusty biker boots in the winter.

Being a size 10 you could probably get away with anything so just experiment! Items (I refuse to say pieces!) with a bit of structure/tailoring might help create some curves for you.

Caz10 Fri 19-Jun-09 22:42:18

OK I need to be braver, and I definitely need to get into accessories, I don't "do" them atm but always admire them on others.

I am a big fan of dresses/skirts, opaques and boots in the winter - I think I'm just crap at doing summer.

smurfgirl Fri 19-Jun-09 22:55:56

Go to Matalan, loads of nice basics that look fashionable and wash well.

I have some vests that have a little ruffle around the straps (nicer than they sound) everyone compliments me on them.

Denim leggings and tan gladiator sandals are v.in.

Was in Peacocks today and they have loads of gorgeous stuff and some lovely shoes.

BunnyLebowski Fri 19-Jun-09 23:11:13

Yes Smurf Peacocks have some lurvely stuff at the moment!

I got this in black

and it's my new favourite going out top! Makes me look like a 50's pin-up (well it does if you stand back and squint a bit) Not bad for 7 quid!

brokenspacebar Fri 19-Jun-09 23:28:29

You need to start looking around to see what you like.

If I was slim I would shop in Topshop (more than just for the basics), Urban Outfitters for non-mumsy clothes... Joy and French Connection?

Have a look online at some web sites, think about colours you like, particular clothes you really want to buy... narrow it down.

A day spent shopping, maybe just to try on any clothes that catch your eye, be relaxed and buy some lovely shoes if you are feeling a bit swamped by the choice! If you find something you like, try and think about what will go with it.

Caz10 Sat 20-Jun-09 14:20:39

Great advice thank you.

Luckily I am on hols the week after next, have already told DH I will be away ALL day one day!

I think half the problem is not having an opportunity like that to spend ages at the shops, I normally resort to throwing something in my trolley at Tesco.

Also I last shopped properly pre-dd and pre a return to uni for a career change - it seems so long ago and I have obviously aged in between - no idea where people of my age shop now!

mothersmilk Sat 20-Jun-09 14:38:53

get some comfortable heels something with abit of height that you can wear all day i always feel better in heels and much less frumpy

mckenzie Sat 20-Jun-09 14:41:54

linen trousers from River Island. Always a good buy, this year they have nice stitching and pockets, come in three legs lengths, a few colours to choose from and are only £25.

mckenzie Sat 20-Jun-09 14:42:28

Do you have a John Lewis near you Caz10

Caz10 Sat 20-Jun-09 14:55:05

Thanks thanks!

It's a Debenhams we've got, but they might stock similar brands I don't know?

janeite Sat 20-Jun-09 16:32:34

I like New Look Hula jeans - well-fitting, come in lots of leg lengths and only a tenner.

I bought a fab pencil skirt in Principles for work - looks like Vivienne Westwood but was less than 20 quid.

Leggings are horrible on anybody over 16 and on most people under 16 too - but would agree that there are lots of cute dresses around.

I'd forget about the white shirt unless white is a really good colour on you.

I am waiting for the Ted Baker sale, as they have some lovely things.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now