Talk

Advanced search

Fat dumpy heading towards middle aged woman desperately seeks some style advice

(14 Posts)
wrinklytum Fri 19-Jun-09 20:10:47

Help.

I have recently gained weight and am now a size 14.I need a new wardrobe and am clueless.

I am 5ft 3,pear shaped,small boobs,big arse and thighs and tum.dark hair,pale complexion.

Can anyone give me ideas for a flattering new wardrobe (A few "Essentials").I am on a budget.

Thanks for reading.Any ideas gladly received!

wrinklytum Fri 19-Jun-09 20:45:53

Surely there is somebody out there who can help me with my dilemma [dessperate emoticon]

wrinklytum Fri 19-Jun-09 20:46:34

Bugger,Desperate

Pollyanna Fri 19-Jun-09 20:48:47

how old are you? Do you need the wardrobe for work or home. How old are your children?

I have a list of don'ts:

Don't go to White stuff
Don't go to M&S
Don't go to Next

These are all very middle aged [apparently]

sorry this isn't much help.

I can't remember what Trinny and Susannah say about pear shapes, but maybe other pears will come and talk to you about it.

wrinklytum Fri 19-Jun-09 20:49:41

Thanks,Pollyanna.I am 37.

Pollyanna Fri 19-Jun-09 20:50:19

sorry that sounds a bit miserable. Have had a few glasses of wine and am also feeling very middle aged and frumpy style wise. But am not pear shaped. more a thick kind of column with short legs.

I like Gap. [and white stuff sadly]

wrinklytum Fri 19-Jun-09 20:50:19

Wardrobe for home.Wear uniform for work.

Pollyanna Fri 19-Jun-09 20:54:28

I am thinking...

Clure Fri 19-Jun-09 20:55:53

here
googled trinny n suze!
how about dorothy perkins, wallis, warehouse, new look and peacocks for a start?

Pollyanna Fri 19-Jun-09 20:58:51

yes according to Trinny and Suze you need long wide legged trousers, a long a line skirt and fitted boat kneck tops (dh very kindly bought me the book for xmas hmm

They do have wide legged trousers in Gap atm, and there is a sale which started yesterday I think. They also have fitted blouses in there which I think would be nice if you are smaller chested (although not sanctioned by T&S so who knows???).

wrinklytum Fri 19-Jun-09 21:12:29

Thank you ladies.Having done the T and S shape thingummy am now wondering if I am an apple shape.Gah.I hate this stuff.Very clueless.Aaargh.

Pollyanna Fri 19-Jun-09 21:44:45

Trinny and Suze have a thing on the Littlewoods site where you can find out what shape you are - did you try that?

according to the Book, apples should wear tailored trousers and flairy skirts with fitted shirts and tops. and wedges.
I would look in new Look and Oasis. And Gap too (as I went there today and they seemed to have the fitted shirts/wide trousers combos).

applepudding Sat 20-Jun-09 00:14:32

I saw the thread title and thought I had written it!

I was reading the thread yesterday about 'how not to be mumsy' and all the don'ts just about described my wardrobe.

Wrinklytum - I'm very similar to you, 5'4", size 14 and pear shaped.

I know the suggestions to dress for a pear shape - these include wide legged trousers, bootcut trousers/jeans, long a-line skirts and fitted tops (although I don't do the high neck that they say as I have a bit of a bust and look better with a v or scoop neck, and also wear tunic tops over trousers as have a bit of a tummy as well).

My problem is that all of these styles are what was described as frumpy. I'm in my 40's - so would hate to look like 'mutton dressed as lamb' - but on the other hand I don't really want to be a total frump either.

Anybody else any suggestions/ideas please?

RatherBe Sat 20-Jun-09 00:46:05

wrinklytum, can I make a suggestion? Think back to when you felt happiest and most confident. What did you wear then? How did it make you feel? Find a photo where you look great. Then when you look at clothes in the shops think 'is this what Fabulous Wrinklytum wears?' And if it's from White stuff, Fat Face, M&S or Next, it probably isn't - but it's your choice and after all, style (who cares about fashion) is about the unexpected thing that happens to work!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now