Talk

Advanced search

Can someonme talk to me about eyeliner?

(13 Posts)
clemette Fri 19-Jun-09 13:57:50

When I was young I used to wear eyeliner on the inside of my lower eye lid (!) but since then I have never been able to get on with it. However I apply it it seems to make my eyes look smaller. I keep reading that it is a beauty essential so am I missing something? Or do some people just look crap wearing it?

fuzzywuzzy Fri 19-Jun-09 14:00:06

Black eyeliner in the inside of your eye your lower lid makes your eyes lok smaller, whicte eye liner makes eyes look bigger, and applying eye liner beneath your lower lashes makes your eyes look bigger too.

clemette Fri 19-Jun-09 14:02:45

OK - you may have to take me through this step by step...
How far under the eye do you go? I don't wear eyes make up very often (maybe some mascara and eyebrow pencil) so shall I just forget it altogether?

frAKKINPannikin Fri 19-Jun-09 14:03:18

Oooh I could talk all day.

What do you want it for? What form are you currently using? What's the rest of your make-up like?

A thin line on the top lid in pencil or liquid, or a soft line in wettened eyeshadow will just add a bit of definition.

Going half-way under the eye with shadow will accentuate the corner of the eye and open up the corner nearest the nose (but make sure you go under your eyes with a cotton bud to make sure the line is clean. Going right up to the centre of the eye will make you look like Cleopatra though.

Pencil on the inside of the eye will make it look smaller as you've found out, but it can also make the eyes really stand out if it's the only 'heavy' makeup you're wearing.

Coloured shadow or pencils can give your eyes a cheeky lift - what colour are your eyes?

A little bit of white pencil on the corner nearest your nose can open your eyes up a bit and is very good if you have super-red eyes (especially good after a broken night!).

frAKKINPannikin Fri 19-Jun-09 14:04:34

Don't forget it!

Look directly ahead into the mirror and try to line up the end of the line with the start of your pupil.

GetOrfMoiLand Fri 19-Jun-09 14:05:04

No, don't put in on the inside of your eyelid. You can just about get away with it when you are 15 and fresh faced, any older than that and you look piggy eyed and haggish.

Put eyeliner on the lash line i.e. on the outside. Don't take it right to the inside corner of the eye as it will close the eye up, take it to about 3/4 the way, and blend. Either get one of those eye pencils that have a rubber bit on the other end, or blend with a cotton bud or your little finger.

Is always best to get a very soft eye pencil. To be honest I don't get on very well with kohl pencils (I am a liquid eyeliner lover, but you can't use that on your lower lids!), so dark eyeshadow applied with a small, tick brush looks just as good and is easy to apply.

Also, one worth trying is gel eyeliner pots (No 7 do them). They are tiny pots of eyeliner, not really a gel consistency, more like cream blusher texture, they come with a little brush and the yare very simple to put on).

Also is a good idea to try dark brown or charcoal grey as opposed to black, as it is less harsh.

GetOrfMoiLand Fri 19-Jun-09 14:07:04

Frakkin I want to try that white pencil trick smile

LyraSilvertongue Fri 19-Jun-09 14:08:53

Getorfmoiland, that last statement depends on skin colour, surely?

LyraSilvertongue Fri 19-Jun-09 14:09:30

I mean about black being a bit harsh.

GetOrfMoiLand Fri 19-Jun-09 14:11:32

Well, I think black looks harsh whatever skin tone, I have a friend who is dark skinned, she used to use coal black eyeliner and changed to a plummy grey, it makes her eyes look a lot brighter and fresher.

clemette Fri 19-Jun-09 14:13:29

Brilliant. Thank you.
Normally I just wear a bit of brown eyeshadow and eybrow pencil. Despite being a green-eyed redhead I have naturally dark lashes.

frAKKINPannikin Fri 19-Jun-09 15:33:44

A deep brown eyeliner would be good for you or maybe a bronzy colour for something a little less classic but still subtle. To make your eyes really green try a plummy colour.

clemette Fri 19-Jun-09 15:37:46

I have just bought gel eyeliner from ebay. Incredibly suggestible me...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now