Talk

Advanced search

Bikinis with tummy coverage - grrr! Help needed..

(13 Posts)
43Today Thu 18-Jun-09 17:00:46

Ok. Am getting increasingly pissed off with the miniscule triangle bikini style which seems to be about 95% of the current offerings. Then the other 4.99% are low rise shorts. Leaving 0.1% of tummy control, unflattering big pants in colours like aqua, fuschia or simply black.

I'm size 8-10, slim and toned, BUT with post-baby (10 years on..) wrinkly, slack skin on my tummy. What I really need is high-rise shorts (up to tummy button if poss), and oh wouldn't it be great if they could be in a funky print or something?

Am I asking too much? Has anyone else found bikinis designed for real women's tummies? Would love to hear about any ideas/solutions others have come up with.

TIA

chevre Thu 18-Jun-09 17:02:19

i have one that joins onto the top half of my bikini to form a flattering one piece!

castille Thu 18-Jun-09 17:03:53

I was going to suggest a stylish one-piece.

High-rise shorts would look a bit mumsy, even on a slim body, wouldn't they?

pinkteddy Thu 18-Jun-09 17:06:43

Have you tried figleaves? Its the only place I've ever managed to get a flattering bikini from. All the shops are useless. Debenhams stock them or you can order them direct.

pinkteddy Thu 18-Jun-09 17:13:57

funky print with choice of bikini bottoms

BettyDraper Thu 18-Jun-09 17:15:48

I am looking for the same thing, and keep on pondering these bikinis
I quite like them but not completely convinced...

brendaAndEddie Thu 18-Jun-09 17:20:28

sorry
size 10
no sympathy

glinda Thu 18-Jun-09 17:59:09

Love those BD, Great for hour glass figures.

BusyBeeWithThree Thu 18-Jun-09 21:11:55

here you can get 20% off at the moment or £10 off £30 spend code is TYOU

TheRealMrsJohnSimm Thu 18-Jun-09 21:20:06

43Today.......I have exactly the same issues as you - wrinkly skin but otherwise toned and a size 8.

IME, wearing any bikini with pants which are high-ish is deeply unflattering- irrespective of whether its a high leg mumsy type or cuter boy shorts.

Personally, I take the "f*ck it" attitude and wear a bikini I like for its own sake rather than necessarily its belly covering properties. It just takes a little confidence but you know that there will always be somebody with a better or worse body than you on the beach.

43Today Fri 19-Jun-09 07:48:11

Thanks for the responses everyone. Yes, TheRealMrsJS, I agree that really the best solution would be to just ignore my horrid tummy - must just try to celebrate the good parts rather than obsess about the bad..

BettyDraper, those glamorous 50s bikinis were rather lovely - pondering the idea, thanks!

Thanks for the boden link, too, I hadn't realised they did bigger bottoms.

The idea of high-rise bottoms being mumsy is I think mainly because the fashion at the mo is for tiny ones - therefore if you wear highrise ones you MUST be a boring old fart, IYKWIM? I'm sure about 10 years ago there were quite a lot of not low-cut shorts around as part of bikinis.

The person who commented that since I'm a size 10 I shouldn't get any sympathy was being a bit harsh. I put in alot of hard work to go down from size 18 after having my babies and still have insecurities about how my body looks..

Anyway, forget the bikinis, all we need now is SUN grin

TheRealMrsJohnSimm Fri 19-Jun-09 08:14:49

43Today, I do hope I didn't offend you - I am worried you interpreted my response as "get over it". Believe me, I have all the same insecurities as you. That first moment of revealing the bikini takes me a good 10 mins of beach-related faffing and excuses before I actually take my beach dress off . It is easier said than done. Ultimately, you have to go with what you feel comfy with - otherwise you will be miserable.

The 50's style bikinis are very glamourous. Of course, you could always roll down the tops of the knickers to reveal more tummy whilst you are sunbathing - I always feel better about my tummy when its tanned. But would be fab to feel "secure" whilst playing with DCs or walking along beach

Boden shorts are quite cute, actually. The ones I have are cut very flattering on the butt cheeks Kind of hot pants for mums, if you will Their swimwear is also excellent quality and very supportive.

ITA with your response about the size 10 issue. Like you, I struggled and worked hard to get from a post-preg 18 to an 8-10. Good on yer, girl wink

TheRealMrsJohnSimm Fri 19-Jun-09 08:19:02

Try Toast If you flick through their beach section, they have several bikinis over those pages which fit your requirements

Never bought swimwear from them but have bought other items which have always been fab and worth the dosh.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now