Talk

Advanced search

Can we talk tummy's?

(7 Posts)
sasssysam Thu 18-Jun-09 14:15:24

Hi. I had my little angel almost 5 years ago now, i was a size 9 before, i am 5ft7", and have always been slim. When i got pregnant, i put on nearly 5 stone, and was the size of a house! After 2 years and a failed marriage later, i have lost all of the weight, but i am left with a very bad overhang, and so much jelly like skin starting from my belly button( i know it's there somewhere) and going down to my scar. I'm not overweight, just in need of toning, but this SKIN won't budge at ALL! I have been on diets, but the more weight i loose, the worse it gets! I can litterally grab 2 handfuls of it, and at 24 it is so depressing to have it hold me back. It is effecting me in relationships, i feel i am not sexy enough for my BF even though he says it doens't bother him at all, i hate it! HELP! Anyone know how to fix this, or tone it? I have tried the gym, but after a couple of months and no change, i get so disheartened.. Is a tummy tuck the only answer? Thank you!

TheRealMrsJohnSimm Thu 18-Jun-09 14:29:46

Hi Sassy
I have the same problem. Gained huge amounts of weight in pregnancy and sadly, whilst I have lost the weight, my skin has never recovered. I am planning on a tummy tuck in 2010. My youngest DC is 5 and I have no intention of having any more.

I have been using Mamma Mio Tummy Toner and Get Waisted (part of their Tummy Bootcamp pack) for the last 3 weeks. There has been an improvement to the appearance of the skin - it certainly isn't as crepey as it was. However, I really do think that a tummy tuck is the only answer to recovering anything like my pre-preg stomach.

If it is the skin which is loose and not overhang caused by slack tummy muscles then no amount of crunches will help. I am currently using the Tupler method which works the transverse muscles. The argument is that crunches actually worsen mummy tummy - you need to pull in the transverse muscles to get a flat tum and regain your waist.

Doyouthinktheysaurus Thu 18-Jun-09 14:39:47

I have exactly the same after gaining loads of weight during 2 pregnancies and a big scar from abdominal surgery when DS2 was 15 months.

It's the scar that I hate because it causes my tummy to overhang and bulge IYSWIM. Post pregnancies I was happy to live with the crepey tummy but the effect of the scar has taken alot of getting used to.

I have accepted it now and just avoid clothes that are too fitted in that area but then I'm older than you and DH has been through it all with me so accepts my 'battle scars'.

I'm not really convinced that there is anything that can really solve it apart from a tummy tuck. I did think for a while I would consider it but we can't afford it and I've gone off the idea anyway.

sasssysam Thu 18-Jun-09 14:45:33

Tummy bootcamp pack>? I have never heard of it...Do you recommend it?

TheRealMrsJohnSimm Thu 18-Jun-09 14:55:33

Yes I would say its making a difference but someone on here told me that once you stop using the products, the crepey skin comes back. I am using it for pre-holiday body boost

Its by a company called Mamma Mio.

womma Thu 18-Jun-09 15:29:03

Hello ladies, I'm in the same boat after having DD 9 months ago. I'm going to try body brushing, drinking lots of water and taking a big dose of Vitamin E every day to see if that improves things.

Besides the Mamma Mio tummy stuff, I've also seen this by Rodial. It's a whopping £98 but their products are supposed to be very good. Although, being realsitic I'm not sure that spending a lot of money is the answer, but i thought I'd let you know about it.

I've had a look at my boobs this morning and that's a whole other thread! Oh woe is me!

Queenoftheharpies Thu 18-Jun-09 19:50:27

If it is skin, there's not much you can do. I know someone who got a tuck on the NHS because she'd lost 9 stone and it was almost hanging down to her knees.

It might be that you have lost weight, but not fat, in which case you might still be able to improve the look of your stomach by improving your overall body composition. I lost a load of fat off my stomach that I hadn't really noticed was there through a combination of:
- weight training
- high-intensity interval training
- changing my diet (fewer carbs more protein)./

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now