Talk

Advanced search

please help my poor legs

(9 Posts)
nancy75 Wed 17-Jun-09 22:14:31

No matter how i de-fuzz my legs i get loads of ingrowing hairs. i exfoliate and moisturise regularly but nothing seems to help, my legs look bumpy and spotty and i need help smile
does anybody use any kind of special cream/moisturizer/magic potion that will stop this?
tia.

PacificDogwood Wed 17-Jun-09 22:15:43

<<lurking with intense interest>>

Mousey84 Wed 17-Jun-09 22:21:01

someone on mn recently said "tendskin" is good. Oh, and boots exfoiliating mitt too.

nancy75 Wed 17-Jun-09 23:15:59

mousey84, thanks for that, have looked up tendskin and it gets some very good and very bad reviews, but as there seems to be nothing else i might as well give it a go.

Pacificdogwood, looks like its just me and you with the manky legs, lucky us eh grin

frAKKINPannikin Thu 18-Jun-09 09:17:32

My anti-ingrown hairs recipe (was on the epilator thread)

Few handfuls of coarse salt/gran sugar (depending on how much scrubbing you want to do - I do salt once a week and sugar 2/3 times)
Few drops of tea-tree or lavendar oil (helps with the healing)
Dash of olive oil

Mix it all up together so it's not too dry but not too sloppy - just add the olive oil a bit at a time.

Slather on legs. Rub. Rinse. Admire.

I find that commercial creams etc contain lots of nasty crap that gets stuck into bumps and irritates my very sensitive skin but this is completely natural, very moisturising and the salt or sugar dissolves so there's no nasty bits left.

You can experiment with adding other essential oils too to smell nice but be careful not to add too much of any of the ones which may irritate your skin. Alternatives to olive oil (expensive but nicer smelling) are sweet almond oil, jojoba oil (SOOOO good for the bumps because it's anti-inflammatory), avocado oil (also use on hair as a conditioner), sunflower oil (but try to get unrefined stuff) and grapeseed oil. If you have really, really bad skin then try adding a capsule of Evening primrose oil for a couple of weeks - it does wonders for my excema.

nancy75 Thu 18-Jun-09 09:55:24

thank you frAKKINPannikin , i will give that a try tonight, where would i buy jojoba oil?
do you find this deals with bumps ect you already have, or is it to stop you getting more?

frAKKINPannikin Thu 18-Jun-09 10:07:00

It does both (tis wondrous, so it is). The tea tree and the lavendar help to clear up the bumps and I think it's the naturalness which stops me getting more, but I do have hypersensitive skin so it might just be me being irritated by other products. Hair removing creams really set me off and I need to be careful with wax because of the stuff that's added but epilating and this seem to do the trick.

It takes a few days to clear everything so stick with it.

If you have a local healthfood shop they might have jojoba oil - holland & barrett list it on their website. I get mine off the internet in large quantities as it's much cheaper that way!

Hope it works for you!

nancy75 Thu 18-Jun-09 10:11:03

frAKKINPannikin , i am so grateful, thank you, my legs are vile at the moment, we are going on holiday in a couple of weeks and i am desperate!
will go and get all the stuff this afternoon, thanks again smile

PacificDogwood Thu 18-Jun-09 10:18:48

<<Off to H+B website hoping nobody has noticed me here wink>>

<<whispers: thanks!>>

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now