Talk

Advanced search

The 'no-poo' (!) method for curly hairwashing- which conditioner?

(24 Posts)
Pendulum Wed 17-Jun-09 21:49:14

I came across a link to this method for reducing frizz here on Mumsnet- have given it a try and it resulted in lovely curls, but I think I am probably not using the right kind of conditioner. All the ones I usually use have silicones in them, and if I have correctly understood, these don't get washed out if you are not using shampoo.

Can anyone who follows this method recommend me a conditioner available in the UK (preferably one I can get from Boots or Tesco!) that fits the bill?

pramspotter Thu 18-Jun-09 10:18:11

I have been doing the no poo method for weeks now. My hair was always dry, course and naturally curly.

It's fab now. Very silky adn shiney although it did get nasty in week two.

I have been trying to avoid conditioner with any kind of silicone in it because that is supposedly the ingrediant that causes problems.

I actually went and bought the conditioner with the least amount of ingrediants. It was sainsbury's brand name conditioner. I can't believe it. After years of crap hair and expensive products all I am using is sainsbury's conditioner to wash my hair and it looks really good. It is really clean and manageable as well.

I don't know if it would work for everyone but it works for me.

Pinkjenny Thu 18-Jun-09 10:21:42

OK, enlighten me, please. The 'no poo' method?

BitOfFun Thu 18-Jun-09 10:23:00

Pramspotter, would you consider putting a pic up at all? I have the same kind of hair as you by the sound of it, and I need some evidence if I'm going to give this a go!

Also, what about smelliness from fags etc/ sweatiness- does the water get rid of that too?

hullygully Thu 18-Jun-09 10:23:07

And me. I have got Crystal Tipps' hair, desperate for something that works.

Pinkjenny Thu 18-Jun-09 10:23:57

Seriously BoF? Sweaty hair?

P.S. Do you work in Ormskirk? <stalker>

hullygully Thu 18-Jun-09 10:24:07

Ah, is it no SHAMpoo?

BitOfFun Thu 18-Jun-09 10:24:33

PJ, it's when you leave out the wiping your head with a nappy stage that is all the rage with glossy-haired slebs these days. Honest.

BitOfFun Thu 18-Jun-09 10:25:10

Nah, Met Q in town x

BitOfFun Thu 18-Jun-09 10:26:28

Sweaty hair from the nape of your neck etc after workouts, sub-menopausal flushes at night or extremely vigorous sex. The first two don't apply, oh no...grin

Pinkjenny Thu 18-Jun-09 10:26:48

No shampoo??? Really? How does your hair get clean? <dubious>

Does anyone go to the Met Q now L1 is open?

pramspotter Thu 18-Jun-09 10:27:45

My hair still feels really clean. It smells really good too. Apparantly the stuff in the conditioner is more than enough to clean it.

There was one week though when I first started doing this that my hair looked naff. It's been a long time between trims as well.

The "no poo" method is using conditioner only to wash your hair and only using shampoo once in a blue moon. It would be a disaster for anyone with straight silky hair but for people like me with long naturally course wavy curly hair it is fab. Apparantly the stuff in shampoo that makes it foamy and the silicones in expensive conditioner is the worst thing in the world for naturally curly hair. I believe it.

I'll see it hubby will take some pics later.

BitOfFun Thu 18-Jun-09 10:27:52

No. But I do get a lot of mumsnetting done < surveys vast empty shop > grin

BitOfFun Thu 18-Jun-09 10:29:00

Look forward to the pics! What about if you want to blowdry it straight then?

pramspotter Thu 18-Jun-09 10:31:31

It takes hours to blow dry my hair straight so I don't do it. I just go with the girl.

hullygully Thu 18-Jun-09 10:33:56

So, just to be clear (pedantic), no shampoo, just a conditioner without silicone? And I'll have magic hair at last?

BitOfFun Thu 18-Jun-09 10:35:23

Mine takes quite a long time too. Having said that, I wear it straightish quite a lot, just because if I wear it curly I have to re-wash and serum it to death every day because once I've slept on it it is very frizzy and unkempt. I can get three or four days out of it if It's straight because I can get a brush through it and maybe give it a squirt of the Batiste stuff if it's getting yukky looking. Sigh!

pramspotter Thu 18-Jun-09 10:35:32

curly girl I meant. Duh.

pramspotter Thu 18-Jun-09 10:38:45

Hullygully, It worked for my hair type.

Serum is supposed to be bad. anything with silicone looks nice at first and then builds up and leads to frizz. My hair isn't frizzy anymore in the morning.

BitOfFun Thu 18-Jun-09 10:39:27

Pinkjenny, how did I miss you were pregnant?! shockenvygrin Congratulations! You will be having months of Good Hair then...until after the birth when you won't have time to do a thing with it < evil > grin

Pinkjenny Thu 18-Jun-09 10:50:26

Ta love. Will waddle into the Met Q and have a chat buy lots of humungous bras.

BitOfFun Thu 18-Jun-09 10:51:22

Yey! Thursday's my day of hell in here smile

Pendulum Sat 20-Jun-09 20:44:44

ooh thanks for replies.

Since posting the OP I have bought some 'cleansing conditioner' from t'internet and some Aveda goop to replace my usual styling products.

Interestingly I went to the hairdresser today and had shampoo on my hair for the first time in a week. I let her go ahead as an experiment (and also because I was feeling slightly greasy after a week without shampoo) Instant frizz! I'm definitely going to stick with it this time- my hair looked so much better already. Also, I found it kept its shape after a night's sleep, whereas woth a daily shampoo wash it always got really squashed and flat at night.

claireybee Sat 20-Jun-09 20:54:48

I thought it was known as co-washing...

But I sometimes do it on dd, eg if she has got toddler gunk in her hair before I would normally wash it. It works ok, but she gets an itchy head a few days later and her hair looks duller than normal.

I normally use anita grant babassu shampoo bar on her which is great (and doesn't have any of the sillicones/foaming agents in either)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now