Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

If money were no object, where would you shop...?

(22 Posts)
wonderingwondering Mon 15-Jun-09 14:50:21

For decent daywear? I want to revamp the wardrobe - and although I'm not quite in the 'money is no object' category, I can afford to go for something a bit more unusual.

I currently wear sort of top end high street - Joseph, Jigsaw, bit of Fenn Wright Manson and Coast, some French Connection. But I can push the boat out a bit, and want to try something a bit different.

Have two young children so has to be practical - no Chanel suits! - but looking for ideas on which brands/shops are a bit different.

Am near London, and size 8-10, mid-thirties, looking for some smart/casual work stuff and clothes for running round with the children in.

TheRealMrsJohnSimm Mon 15-Jun-09 14:59:20

hmmm.....Chloe? Marc by Marc Jacobs (or full on Marc Jacobs if budget allows )

joliejolie Mon 15-Jun-09 15:15:38

If you want to stay a bit conservative, try Diane Von Furstenburg dresses are fantastic this season and never go out of style.

Funky brands include Paul and Joe, Anna Sui, Luella, Twenty8Twelve, See by Chloe, Missoni and Sonia Rykiel.
Pop into Browns fashions on South Moulton Street for ideas. Or Liberty.

Another designer that is on sale now is Orla Kiely. Some bright, pretty stuff on the site right now.
This is really lovely.

TheRealMrsJohnSimm Mon 15-Jun-09 15:31:31

Second a trip to Browns. Tis a wonderful store

Also, why not book a personal shopper at Selfridges?

wonderingwondering Mon 15-Jun-09 16:26:14

Thanks, that's a great start, esp the Marc by Marc Jacobs - just what I'm looking for, price and style-wise. And I really like a couple of bits on the Orla Kiely website.

I feel bit frumpy and although I can afford to spend a bit on myself (for the first time in ages!) I've got limited time and there's so much out there I don't know where to start. Have been scouring the Matches website.

I have a couple of DvF dresses, which I wear for work after they've had a few evening outings, perhaps I should invest in a new one of those, too. But I do recall reading here that the wrap dress was 'over'...

TheDevilWearsYFronts Mon 15-Jun-09 16:27:14

www.pretaportobello.com/

I am in love with this site.

TheRealMrsJohnSimm Mon 15-Jun-09 16:33:22

Have a look at outnet.com too. It's the sale site of Net A Porter.

I don't think wrap dresses will ever be "over". They are a classic and style is all about wearing what suits you rather than "fashion". You can get your "fashion moments" from Top Shop

CHOOGIRL Mon 15-Jun-09 18:18:06

My-wardrobe.com is good. They also have a good collection of casual daywear - American Vintage, Vivienne Westwood, etc. Net-a-porter and Outnet are great. My favourite shop is Selfridges and I am due lunch and a shop this week! Sale starts 16th I think.

squeaver Mon 15-Jun-09 18:21:09

Selfridges is great for this sort of stuff.

If you're coming into London you should also try Banana Republic.

I must say if money was no object I'd shop at Prada twice a year.

wonderingwondering Mon 15-Jun-09 19:34:09

I do go to Selfridges quite a bit (not recently, mind), but I get overwhelmed with the amount of choice. I need to focus on a few brands that I like and fit me. At the moment I am stuck in a bit of a Joseph top/7forallmankind jeans rut, which is fine, but not very exciting.

Lots of good ideas here, am trying to online shop but not sure if a Marc Jacobs ten resembles a real-life ten!

Think a trip to Browns and Selfridges, armed with my online research will be a good starting point.

I did use to be young and trendy, honestly - no money but lots of time to think about what to buy, and now it is the reverse!!

TheRealMrsJohnSimm Mon 15-Jun-09 20:02:14

Marc Jacobs is true to size, ime.

wonderingwondering Mon 15-Jun-09 22:39:50

Thanks all, a large Matches order is winging its way to me now!

CHOOGIRL Mon 15-Jun-09 22:44:28

Show us then!

joliejolie Mon 15-Jun-09 23:41:29

I was going to suggest Matches.
DVF is way more than wrap dresses these days.

RamblingRosa Tue 16-Jun-09 09:43:40

Totally agree with squeaver on banana republic. I really like their stuff but it's a bit out of my price range. Fenwick's a nice place to wander round too if you're in that part of town.

talbot Tue 16-Jun-09 10:26:41

Fenwicks in Bond Street and the chain of "Anna" shops (Primrose Hill, Chelsea etc) are also worth a look. Liberty has a good selection of Marc by Marc Jacobs and Hoss Intropia too (if you like something a but more Marni-esque). By Malene Birger and Day Birger et Mikkelsen might also suit as may APC (in Notting Hill) and Paul & Joe.

RamblingRosa Wed 17-Jun-09 10:09:28

Ooh Talbot, I like all of those brands but I haven't been to Hoss Intropia yet. Is it good?

LetThemEatCake Wed 17-Jun-09 10:16:51

I'd 2nd just about all of the opinions on here. My-wardrobe is great, better than net-a-porter I'd day, esp for more everyday stuff.
But - re: Marc Jacobs sizing, I'd say he runs large. I have a dress in an XS which is ridiculous for me (am in no way an XS) even when I am not pregnant, but the fact that I am still wearing it now at 26 weeks is crazy. And I also have an XS top which fits perfectly and an M which is too big. So I'd say definitely try for size!!!

ninedragons Wed 17-Jun-09 10:31:23

I like Jaeger, but then I've never been a cutting-edge kind of woman.

talbot Wed 17-Jun-09 10:38:23

I really like hoss intropia. If you like Marni, then its defo for you. Lots of bright colours and patterns and they are always getting new stuff in. Really recommend a visit to the Regent Street shop.

Re Marc Jacobs, I agree it's large sizing and of course it's American sizing. I'm really a 12 but in MJ, I wear a 6. I used to be a habitue of Net a Porter but haven't bought anything there in over 12 months.

fishie Wed 17-Jun-09 11:03:20

has it arrived? what did you get? is it all good...??

wonderingwondering Wed 17-Jun-09 22:29:45

It should be arriving tomorrow or Fri, I will report back - been away from the computer so sorry for the lack of updates. Am off to bed now so can't do all the links (I bought a lot) but will let you know how I get on when it arrives.

Thanks for all the suggestions smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now