Talk

Advanced search

Please help me find an outfit for a wedding...!

(25 Posts)
bristols Sun 14-Jun-09 20:03:23

I would like something a bit different in that I don't want to bump into someone else wearing the same thing! I have two weddings to go to, one in July and one in September and could get away with wearing the same outfit twice. Looking to spend up to £150.

I am a size 14/16, 5'6 tall with cankles. I have dark hair and am fairly fair skinned. Fairly big norkage.

Help me! I know you can..... wink

blondissimo Mon 15-Jun-09 18:54:36

Bumping so I can come back to this later....you won't be forgotten bristols grin!

FlorenceAndtheWashingMachine Mon 15-Jun-09 19:21:38

I think that Coast and Monsoon are very popular for weddings, so would recommend that you avoid them.

I am guessing that cankles are a bad thing. Do you like maxi dresses? How do you feel about exposing your arms?

KingRolo Mon 15-Jun-09 19:49:28

Agree about Monsoon. Lovely, but the first port of call for all going to a wedding ime.

I bought a fantastic dress recently from TKMaxx of all places. It cost £12 shock down from £60 grin. It's gorgeous, really good quality and fits very well. And because there was only one in the shop nobody else will be wearing it! It is worth a rifle through the racks - you might be lucky.

I just need shoes, a bag, a shrug or shawl and jewellery now...

FlorenceAndtheWashingMachine Mon 15-Jun-09 20:18:04

Yep, totally agree with KingRolo on TK Maxx. I love a rummage!

FlorenceAndtheWashingMachine Mon 15-Jun-09 20:24:40

Ok, this is my first offering based on the fact that it should flatter your bust and cover your cankles, plus I am a pale-skinned brunette and I really love wearing this colour. I am a bit hmm at the Laura Ashley claim that this is a beach dress:

Laura Ashley maxi

bristols Mon 15-Jun-09 21:41:44

florence, that dress is lovely. That colour definitely suits me but I already have a couple of dresses in that colour so was hoping to avoid it this time!

I have not yet tried a maxi dress as I always imagined them to only suit tall, long legged girls. Maybe I should give it a try. I certainly like the idea of wearing bejewelled flat shoes all day!

I don't mind showing my arms and I don't really mind showing my legs either. I just wanted to get across that my legs are probably my worst bit!

Might have a look in TK Maxx, although I have to say I really don't like rummaging through. I wish I did!

Thanks ladies, I was beginning to think I had been forgotten and had started to browse the monsoon website (against my better judgement!)

blondissimo Tue 16-Jun-09 07:23:49

Hi there
Someone suggested Bravissimo to me for a dress, and they are really nice - this or this any good?
If you were to choose these I would say that you should wear a small heel (without ankle strap if you have "cankles"wink) - I am sure they are not that bad though!

If you really don't want to show your legs, how about a nice well cut pair of wide leg trousers?
A friend of mine once wore to a wedding cream wide leg trousers, with a strappy black top and a black wrap, black shoes, and a cream hat. It did look lovely and very different.

FlorenceAndtheWashingMachine Tue 16-Jun-09 10:14:12

Bristols, you are 5ft 6" and therefore very tall in my world!

I love the sound of that trouser combo, Blondissimo. Very elegant and would move seamlessly from day to evening.

On the dress front, I love this (only in 16 not 14) and as it is silk you won't have problems if the weather is boiling for either 'do'.

Sierra dress

I suit this shade, so you might too:
Spin dress

I am envy of your two weddings. None for me this year!

bristols Wed 17-Jun-09 20:01:06

Florence and Blondissimo, I like all of those! I didn't know that bravissimo did dresses. I love the colour of the second one on their website. I haven't thought of wearing orange before but I like the fact that it's a bit different.

I'm thinking of ordering all four to see how they look!

We have four weddings to go to this year. Two down, two to go! Thankfully there shouldn't be any overlap of guests so I don't need to get four new outfits.

Right, then, where's my credit card.... winkgrin

bristols Wed 17-Jun-09 20:09:33

What do you think of this one, too?

Ibby

twofalls Wed 17-Jun-09 20:16:23

i love that orange dress florence. Do you know how the sizes come up in LK Bennett? i am between a 10 and a 12 (10 up top, 12 down bottom)

Sorry for the hijack Bristols. Am also wedding dress shopping. smile

twofalls Wed 17-Jun-09 20:16:47

By the way, love the one you linked to. Different colour too.

McDreamy Wed 17-Jun-09 20:22:51

Love that dress bristols

FlorenceAndtheWashingMachine Thu 18-Jun-09 10:27:35

I love the Ibby dress, Bristols. Great colour and I always think that dresses with that see-thorough section above the bust look so glamorous!

Can I draw your attention to these shoes which would go rather beautifully with that dress:

Teal courts

From my experience I would guess that you could go for a 10 twofalls, but I am pretty sure that returns are free so would suggest getting both sizes in case I am proved wrong.

bristols Thu 18-Jun-09 12:04:22

Florence - those shoes are gorgeous!! I feel another order coming on despite ordering over £300 worth of stuff last night wink

I ordered the teal dress and the orange dress in both sizes 14 and 16. Twofalls, I'll let you know how I get on with them.

bristols Thu 18-Jun-09 12:06:17

Shoes have been ordered grin

Wish I'd have seen them yesterday then I could have saved the £7.50 delivery charge. Never mind...

Accessories next, ladies!

FlorenceAndtheWashingMachine Thu 18-Jun-09 12:47:19

Hooray! Sorry about late shoe flag. You are going to look so utterly gorgeous.

bristols Thu 18-Jun-09 14:35:49

Florence, I do hope so!

Have had an email to say that my order has been dispatched so I'm hoping it arrives tomorrow and maybe the shoes on Saturday...

Yippeeeeeee

FlorenceAndtheWashingMachine Thu 18-Jun-09 14:43:09

Ooh, they're keen! LK Bennett do their parcels up really nicely as well - it's like getting a present.

twofalls Thu 18-Jun-09 15:49:59

thanks florence, going to do some shopping now. bristols, let us know how you get on.

bristols Sat 20-Jun-09 19:21:36

Well, they arrived yesterday and we had a fashion parade this morning. I can't help it, I have to have both! One for each wedding, of course!

Twofalls, I reckon you'd probably be OK with the 10, what with the style of the dress and all, but it's free returns in the UK so why not order both?? wink

Still waiting for the shoes....

So, then, accessories..?

FlorenceAndtheWashingMachine Sun 21-Jun-09 20:03:50

Ooh, how exciting. I salute you, Bristols, for your commitment to reviving the British economy. Shoe review soon, please.

bristols Mon 22-Jun-09 19:38:09

Shoes dispatched today so watch this space for review.

I feel that it's my duty to help with the economy in every way I can. It'll be accessories and hair bits and pieces next... grin

FlorenceAndtheWashingMachine Tue 23-Jun-09 09:34:33

Yes, you'll be needing a titilator fascinator, Bristols, and a hugely overpriced clutch. Bloody hell, going to weddings is ££££. I am amazed that anyone can afford a wedding gift.

You'll be getting an OBE from Gordon Dave next year at this rate.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now