Talk

Advanced search

Oh dear. My new very short fringe does not make me look trendy and cool; instead I look like I've escaped from a lunatic asylum

(27 Posts)

What makes it even worse is that I have long hair. Extreme short fringe + long hair is not a good look.
I would cry but suspect the red blotchy eyes and snivelling nose would do nothing to improve the style.

Come and share your hair disasters with me and make me feel better - any more Short Fringe Horror Tales are particularly welcome

Heated Sun 14-Jun-09 11:26:07

How short is short? Are you going to post a picture so we can gawp sympathise?wink

Was thinking about having a fringe to hide aging forehead (cheaper than botox) but having second thoughts!

southeastastra Sun 14-Jun-09 11:29:55

is it like peggy from mad men? she is a fashion icon so you're trendy grin

Bumperlicioso Sun 14-Jun-09 11:30:08

I have just had my fringe cut quite short having seen it on someone far more beautiful than me looking very cute.

It was fine when it was first cut but when I washed it I wasn't sure how to style it as it's too short to get round a brush. I'll shall have to reacquaint myself with my straighteners I think.

So, um, that's no help, just feeling your pain!

Bumperlicioso Sun 14-Jun-09 11:31:12

Plus I now need to pluck my eyebrows!

smallchange Sun 14-Jun-09 11:35:39

Oh dear. A woman called Dorcas (her name is etched on my brain) did that to me about 20 years ago. I've not had a fringe again to this day.

At least you can tie long hair back which will look better (probably). Mine was an altogether half-arsed attempt at a chin length bob except it was more like ear-length. She clearly hadn't grasped the concept of hair looking shorter once it dried.

It will grow back very quickly..

Short is short. Not cute, snappy and no-nonense, it's this-should-be-longer-shouldn't-it? SHORT.

Tis my own fault. I was trimming my fringe as usual and somehow got a bit distracted and took too much off. Which looked really stupid. So I instead of doing the best thing which would have been just leaving the bloody thing and it would have grown enough to look ok by next week, I thought I know, I'll go for one of those really short trendy and cool fringes.

I do not have the right face for a cool and trendy short fringe. It's so LOOK AT ME! I AM A SHORT FRINGE! DON'T I LOOK APPALLING ON THIS FACE?

Haven't heard of Mad Men but am googling...yes! That is sort of what I'm talking about, AND she has long hair - how does she get away with it?? I just look v. stupid.

Straightners are good idea, but don't have any - is yours curling in a bizarre way, Bumperlicioso?

Yes, lots of wearing hair up for forseeable future, but no pony tails as they don't suit my face either
<realisation dawning that I probably have a v. wierd face that nothing suits and should probably go for this look to solve all problems>

giraffesCantRunA10k Sun 14-Jun-09 11:45:49

I had a god awful fringe once and I just wore hairbands until it had grown enough. That or twist it back and clip it in place, mini quiff type thing? Could keep your hair down with both of those.

TheProvincialLady Sun 14-Jun-09 11:47:42

Alice band to take it away completely? Or is it too short even for that?

Heated Sun 14-Jun-09 11:50:56

Actually Giraffe's has a good idea, would it look better clipped back with some funky clips?

Is it like this? (meant to make you feel better)

lol @ Heated No, ok ,it's not quite that bad <feels a little better>

I keep finding excuses to walk a mirror in the hope that I'll suddenly see myself and think "ooh, that actually looks stunning". Has not happened yet, but I live in hope (as the name suggests wink )

I think clips and Alice band are the way to go actually. Hey - an excuse to buy new hairclips! <looks on bright side>

cookielove Sun 14-Jun-09 12:22:32

like this

or this

maybe you can clip it back, thats what i did when a mate cut my fringe unbelivably short grrrr ''to so called friend''

macherie Sun 14-Jun-09 12:24:50

I was growing out really short hair and I lived in one of those stretchy jersey hairhands for about 4 months.

Accessorize have some nice ones, in fact hairbands are really 'in' at the moment so it will look like you're being cool rather than hiding something wink

Fringes grown really quickly so in a few weeks it'll be just right smile

It is heartening to see how many others have had Short Fringe Disasters and managed to come through unscathed

Yes, cookielove, quite a lot like those links, but unlike her (whose name totally escapes me at the moment - it's Ally McBeal isn't it?) I do not have a pixie-like face and big eyes, it's more like big face and pixie eyes!

Why has my short fringe now got a kink in it? I was thinking I could split it at the side and sort of gel it across and that might look ok, but it keeps curling back on itself so it looks like I'm trying to do some sort of bizarre lovecurl or whatever those things were called.
Need to get myself some new clips tomorrow, and some new bands. And will pretend that this is my new Summer Look and nothing to do with fringe mess.
Thanks for all the ideas!

cookielove Sun 14-Jun-09 14:35:14

it is calista flockhart,

when i had my short fringe, as much i tried to straighten it, it stuck out literally horizontal from my head, it was horrible.

Scootergrrrl Sun 14-Jun-09 14:43:05

I see from your profile you're in Germany - so are we. Just pretend it's the latest fashion over here!
I once went to a hairdressers - eight months pregnant and very hormonal - and she cut my bob to the right length on one side and two inches shorter on the other.... I had to have it all cut to just abocve my ears and I wore a hat for a week until I got used to it!

Oooh, whereabouts are you Scootergrrrl ? Don't think I need any more reasons to make them think I am That Strange English Lady

cookielove's horizontal fringe.

I am so hating mine now. Why did I just not stop at "oh, that's a bit on the short side, never mind, it'll grow in a week"? WHY?

At least it's my own fault though. Would be so much worse if I'd actually paid someone else to do this to me (that did happen once and it is one of the reasons I never go to the hairdresser's any more. Was all working out v. well until today).

Do keep the fringe horror stories coming, I'm finding they are cheering me up no end!

cocolepew Sun 14-Jun-09 18:44:38

Not a fringe horror story but look what I did today. I'm feeling your pain.

cookielove Sun 14-Jun-09 18:45:40

it clearly has put me off fringes haven't had one for years now

Scootergrrrl Sun 14-Jun-09 18:46:17

We're about an hour from Hannover - what about you? Just think, your fringe has probably grown at least a milimetre by now! grin

nickschick Sun 14-Jun-09 19:00:31

I was once using the clippers to do ds2 hair and as i put the clippers over my head to get to his other side hmm a huge wedge of hair feel out of the clippers for a mad moment i truly thought id lopped my own ponytail off shock- luckily i hadnt but my heart almost stopped.

Oooh, yes, probably two millimeters by the time I've written this!
We're down south, by Stuttgart.

I keep growing out my fringe, then getting hairy whispy bits at the top of my forehead which I am convinced make me look ridiculous, so I have to cut in another fringe to hide them, then those bits grow to fringe length thereby letting me grow out my fringe because actually I'm not sure I really want to have a fringe...it's a never-ending circle and I never learn...

TsarChasm Sun 14-Jun-09 19:26:15

Oh dearie me OP...I've had some humdinger baaad haircuts in my time. I'd rather have root canal work without anaesthetic
than have a haircut - as a rule.

Luckily <weeps with relief> I have at long last found a lovely hairdresser who doesn't sideline as a psycho, but I've had my fair share, oooh yes.

Terrible 80's perms, uneven bobs, dreadful stripey highlights and completely incompetetent layers. I've paid a fortune, said I loved it (cos you do that don't you in the salon - never make a fuss) and gone hope in tears with a hat on.

For the first time in my life I'm not in the process of 'growing out' some disaster or another but I feel your pain. Don't worry. It'll grow out pretty soon - you might even really like it once it grows in a bit.

everlong Sun 14-Jun-09 19:50:16

Poor you.

I know from your posts that you hate it, but whilst it's growing out just concentrate on your good points:

Nice eyebrows
Lovely eyelashes
Good skin
And strong lipstick.

I actually really like the short fringe look, think it can look cool and kooky.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now