Talk

Advanced search

If you are one of those shiny haired mums who always looks better than me, tell me how.

(87 Posts)
MrsSeanBean Fri 12-Jun-09 21:33:43

'They' always look more put together than me.

- Why didn't I think of that colour combination, (eg pink and green atop 'nice' jeans) so 'fresh' and uncontrived?

- Oh, what a great way to wear last years's Monsoon shrug. So fresh so new, and yet no hours spent wrestling in sweaty changing cublicle with this year's offering, trying in vain to look good (like muppet yours truly).

- I spend hours on the straighteners and am trumped yet again with natural (NB: no frizz) waves, while I resemble straw thatch. Grrr.

- 'They' look great with brunette while I look like ugly sister in a fine shade of mmouse.

I also sweat profusely blush when battling with DS in public. No -one else does.

Why, why, why? (an eternal, unsolvable question I fear.)

BoysAreLikeDogs Fri 12-Jun-09 21:35:40

tidy eyebrows is the key

MrsSeanBean Fri 12-Jun-09 21:37:19

Ha [snorts derisively].

MrsSeanBean Fri 12-Jun-09 21:40:18

As long as the eyebrows are 'shiny' I guess? wink

BonsoirAnna Fri 12-Jun-09 21:41:22

Don't straighten your hair, learn to manage your curls (new cut, better shampoo) -Straightened hair is never chic smile.

Hassled Fri 12-Jun-09 21:44:13

Stop straightening the hair - condition it loads (daily, in my case), and put some FrizzEase-type stuff on it. If you don't like your natural colour - dye it. The stuff in a box takes about 40 mins tops.

MrsSeanBean Fri 12-Jun-09 21:45:14

Oh bonsoir, Bonsoir Anna. Thank you for that. I am so embarassed to have to ask for help in this area. I fear I am trying too hard at the moment. My inner Grace Kelly/ Jane Birkin has died

MrsSeanBean Fri 12-Jun-09 21:46:40

I must stress that 'mouse' is my natural colour but never sported; I highlight (probably a tad too much). I would love to be brunette but it makes me look terminally ill.

WolframAlpha Fri 12-Jun-09 21:56:45

I am not a shiny haired one, more of a scabby knee-er.

(I do an impersonation of it at work, for climbing greasy pole purposes, but deep down, clumsy, scabby knees and frizzy hair)

Just wanted to give you some solidarity. My main revelation in my 30s is time + money must be spent on aquisition of shinyhairdom.

MrsSeanBean Fri 12-Jun-09 21:58:52

Thank you WA. It;s easy to sink into despair!

BUMP my sweating issue - why does no-one else sweat - or shall we say 'perspire' - dduring battle of wills with DCs?

brimfull Fri 12-Jun-09 22:18:47

ooh I have gone from very dark brown hair ,my natural colour ,to coppery highlighted medium brown.I feel so shiny ...cost me farkin£90 ..unbelievable but worth it.

Agree straightened hair is yuk.

accessorise ,but not too much
simple make up
dark jeans are always good
good haircut

there you go..done

MrsSeanBean Fri 12-Jun-09 22:22:24

Thank you ggirl. A vivid and shiny picture!

My straightener use is to smooth more than to straighten: the top layer of my hair is fuzzy otherwise. I wish it could lay flat and smooth, but still wavy.

MrsSeanBean Fri 12-Jun-09 22:23:30

PS still no advice ref. the sweating, I note!?

Could it be hormonal?

MacaroonIncident Fri 12-Jun-09 22:24:00

agree with gg

MrsSeanBean Fri 12-Jun-09 22:25:57

I would love to wear jeans but am not 'allowed'.

MacaroonIncident Fri 12-Jun-09 22:26:36

oh fgs
is this goign to turn itno a mad dh thread

Hassled Fri 12-Jun-09 22:26:59

How old are you? Peri-menopausal?

If it's sweating to the extent that anti-perspirant etc isn't doing the job, you should see your GP. It can be a symptom of something, although I can't remember what.

BonsoirAnna Fri 12-Jun-09 22:27:14

Not "allowed"? hmm Please justify this very worrying statement!

MrsSeanBean Fri 12-Jun-09 22:27:24

Pardon me.

sagacious Fri 12-Jun-09 22:29:36

I see no mention of mad dh's

[peers closer to check]

MrsSeanBean Fri 12-Jun-09 22:30:27

There are several complex factors going on with the jeans, not relevant for this thread really. maybe another time.

Yes they look good (on other people). If I posted a picture of me in jeans I suspect the general concensus would be that I did not look good though! I certainly couldn't do skinny.

sagacious Fri 12-Jun-09 22:30:33

OP

Mitchum antip is V good

MrsSeanBean Fri 12-Jun-09 22:31:14

Hassled, I have yet to find an anti perspirant marketed for use on the face

burningupinspeed Fri 12-Jun-09 22:34:05

Please explain about the jeans in bullet-point format - can't understand why anyone wold not be allowed to wear jeans

burningupinspeed Fri 12-Jun-09 22:34:56

Ah the body shop (and other places I am sure) sell little sheets of sort of blotting paper coated in powder, makes you look fresh and soaks up the sweat perspiration!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now