Talk

Advanced search

How long should a Maxi dress be?

(9 Posts)
CHOOGIRL Fri 12-Jun-09 09:35:47

So I have finally purchased this maxi dress. Recommended by Letthemeatcake. I've tried it on and it is very long and skims the floor. I'm 5'6 so average height. I was thinking of getting it altered to ankle length. What do other maxi dress wearers do.

Hopefully Fri 12-Jun-09 09:44:57

I think floor length is a much nicer look - ankle length (IMO) makes you look like your dress is too short.

Unless you're likely to want to wear it in the rain, in which case ankle length would probably be sensible. Perhaps teamed with some fetching green wellies grin

blondissimo Fri 12-Jun-09 10:09:32

Totally agree with Hopefully - definitely floor skimming.

MelvinIsABigGirlNow Fri 12-Jun-09 10:12:08

Another vote for floor skimming here!

TrillianAstra Fri 12-Jun-09 10:17:24

Loooong is how long is should be.

CHOOGIRL Fri 12-Jun-09 10:57:42

Thanks ladies - I tried it on and felt a bit like a bride - but I'm sure I will get used to it.smileCan't wait for the sun to come back now

tallwoman Mon 06-Jul-09 13:50:55

I'm tall & none of the maxi dress are long enough to touch the top of my feet. Can I get away with wearing it at ankle length?? Will it look too short??

triffictits Mon 06-Jul-09 19:35:15

tallwoman, me too - I love the maxi dresses and I am dying to get one but cannot find one long enough anywhere.

I think it does look too short if its ankle length, especially if you are tall too, its obvious its too short to be floor skimming if you know what i mean.

If anyone knows where there are any maxi dresses that are really long pleeeeeeaaaase tell me smile

marenmj Mon 06-Jul-09 22:18:25

I'm tall as well and bought a maxi dress from Next that iss long enough, though it is so sheer that a bright light behind me would probably reveal all my secrets.

Recently I have been buying long skirts from Long Tall Sally as they are all proper long grin

Haven't bought any of their maxi dresses yet, but based on the skirts I would guess they are nice and long.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now