Talk

Advanced search

Forgotten how to dress up!

(21 Posts)
jambutty Thu 11-Jun-09 19:05:17

DH and I are going to a new restaurant on Saturday to celebrate our anniversary. We hardly ever go out and I feel like I don't get my clothes right any more when we do!
I was planning on wearing a dark grey and white stripey slash neck jersey top form Gap, some wide legged white linen trousers, short chunky red beads and high heeled dark grey shoes. Does that sound too day wear-ish,or just horrible? Be honest. TBH I'm going for comfort! Restaurant is smart casual trendy in an affluent area.

jambutty Thu 11-Jun-09 19:21:47

bump

alicecrail Thu 11-Jun-09 19:23:28

I think it sounds really nice and smart, but perhaps a bit office daywear iyswim?

What other options? A dress?

TheRealMrsJohnSimm Thu 11-Jun-09 19:24:48

Sounds okay but yes, if I am honest, a bit daywear - if you were going out for lunch I would definitely say its fine.

IME, wearing a dress always makes me feel more grown up and sexy on a date with DH, without being overdressed (our regular haunt sounds like the kind of place you are going to).

jambutty Thu 11-Jun-09 19:26:06

Got a short sleeved black dress (too wintry probably), and a sparkly tunic/wrap around dress thingy that would look more dressy with the white trousers.

TheRealMrsJohnSimm Thu 11-Jun-09 19:27:32

oooh....am liking the sound of sparkly tunic dress with the trousers. Do you have heels to go with??

jambutty Thu 11-Jun-09 19:34:30

I do. Can't find the b*dy sparkly tunic dress atm, though angry. DH says it looks like I'm wearing a dressing gown when I wear it though, so possibly not the best thing to wear to go out with him. In fact - maybe that's why it's missing hmm

TheRealMrsJohnSimm Thu 11-Jun-09 19:39:09

Oh No......DH has clearly hijacked the dress!!

Whats the style of the short sleeved black dress? What length? I think black can look great in the summer teamed with gold or silver accessories and heels.

jambutty Thu 11-Jun-09 19:41:23

Black dress is a round sort of lowish neck, knee length georgette short sleeves drapes down from just below the bust. What would I wear on my legs?

TheRealMrsJohnSimm Thu 11-Jun-09 20:16:42

Dress sounds fab. I would wear with bare legs - use a dollop of St Tropez Every Day for a bit of colour (without the fear of being tango-ed).

What accessories do you have?

TheRealMrsJohnSimm Thu 11-Jun-09 20:17:08

Alternatively, if you can't face bare legs, how about leggings?

jambutty Thu 11-Jun-09 21:15:07

No leggings - I'm 44, 5ft2 and a size 14 - 16!
Have lots of big silver earrings and a chunky red necklace, or a silver choker thing with a turquoise butterfly on that looks quite summery. Might go for bare legs and fake tan.
Thanks!

TheRealMrsJohnSimm Thu 11-Jun-09 22:50:47

JB, let neither age nor size be a barrier to leggings......there will be a length which suits you with the right top combo (dress, tunic etc etc) Truth be told, as a "boyish" figure myself, I am v v v v jealous of a curvy girl.

Choker sounds lovely. Go for that, bare legs and silver earrings.

Oh and post a photo so we can check out the hot mama on her hot date wink

jambutty Sat 13-Jun-09 09:03:41

Dh bought me this yesterday for our anniversary because he knew I liked it - looks like I'll be wearing that to go out tonight!

Clure Sat 13-Jun-09 09:43:12

Thats a good dress. Now what shoes, accessories are you going to wear?

jambutty Sat 13-Jun-09 10:18:39

Erm - high heels/wedges, small cardi (trainee bingo wings blush), big hoop earrings and a chunky necklace/choker. It's bit tight on top atm but I feel I should wear it as DH went to all that trouble and he wouldn't normally dare to buy me clothes!

Clure Sat 13-Jun-09 16:15:57

sounds perfect. You'll look great, have a fab evening

TheRealMrsJohnSimm Sat 13-Jun-09 20:04:19

Oh that's lovely JB. And your accessories sound spot on. Hope you have fun.........shall await an update tomorrow morning wink

jambutty Mon 15-Jun-09 16:58:30

Had a great time, lovely meal, I looked great apparently, wore dress in picture, red heels, red Lola Rose heart necklace and big silver hoops in my ears(I wear them a lot) and a small cream cardi. Luckily the restaurant was dark, because I f*ked up the fake tan *(doing it in a rush) and looked like a tiger from the knees down. DH wasn't very well and had to leave to throw up half way through the main course but apart from that everything was fine.hmm Thanks for advice! Didn't take photo so can't show you what I looked like.

TheRealMrsJohnSimm Mon 15-Jun-09 18:53:31

oh no. Your poor DH .

Your final outfit sounds fab though

Which fake tan did you use JB? I have never had any luck with it except for the St Tropez one I recommended.

jambutty Tue 16-Jun-09 17:56:40

Well it was only Johnson's Holiday Skin, but I'm really pale and freckly and I think I put too much on, badly blush

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now