Talk

Advanced search

What shoes (and outfits) do you wear on a summer evening on holiday?

(31 Posts)
monkeysmama Tue 09-Jun-09 19:34:28

I need some advice. I seem to have forgotten what shoes to wear abroad on holiday in the sun. I've been in the loft looking at my summer shoes but they were nearly all pre dd purchases and are a bit too Ibiza and bit not enough family holiday.

I have lots of nice clothes - dresses both short and long, a beautiful silk blue jumpsuit, some lovely designer linen trouser and top but no shoes...?

Going to a posh hotel on Saturday and I am a size 7 (if any of that matters?)

Thank you
MM

shhhh Tue 09-Jun-09 19:56:10

Flipflops (but possibly "nice" ones..jewelled/glitter) are nice and comfy BUT look smart.

Or wedge shoes..

monkeysmama Tue 09-Jun-09 20:08:04

I have some wedges but though I like wedges I don't like the ones I bought (I can't even remember buying them - think I bought them in the post-baby haze last summer).

Jewelled flip flops - now there's an idea. Where might I find some?

shhhh Tue 09-Jun-09 20:41:30

whats your budget..? most places sell them..asda/tesco/next/primark..?

shhhh Tue 09-Jun-09 20:42:46

quite cute

SpitSpot Tue 09-Jun-09 20:43:41

Dune have some nice flat ones:

simple silver

white and silver

gold

would all look nice with wide leg trousers and a tan

or nice sparkly wedges as well

shhhh Tue 09-Jun-09 20:44:35

these

shhhh Tue 09-Jun-09 20:45:31

these

shhhh Tue 09-Jun-09 20:47:46

these

shhhh Tue 09-Jun-09 20:49:02

these

shhhh Tue 09-Jun-09 20:50:11

spitspot, those last ones from dune...I have just bought grin. They are gorgeous on (bought for a wedding) and will defo be joiningme on our hols...when we book it..hmmgrin

monkeysmama Tue 09-Jun-09 21:07:31

Thank you! Will look now!

shhhh Tue 09-Jun-09 21:08:47

bit carried away blush.

Look at primark/supermarkets/matalan/peacocks as well.smile hth x

monkeysmama Tue 09-Jun-09 21:15:04

I like the Dune ones and the M&S ones seem quite good value. Thanks!

princessmel Tue 09-Jun-09 21:18:26

I wore gladiator type sandals or toe post flip flips in a bronze colour with a tiny kitten heel.

MumHadEnough Tue 09-Jun-09 21:22:16

I have some (sshhhh) crocs sassari, they are crocs wedges and are fab. I have them in both black&white and pink&white.

I have a few halterneck dresses in different colours that I wear with them. I also have a pair of silver & tan wedges that go with anything.

here are the crocs sassari here

shhhh Tue 09-Jun-09 21:44:11

I have those mumhadenough!

MumHadEnough Tue 09-Jun-09 21:50:40

Lol, funny after me saying shhhhh. grin

I love them, they're so comfy and people always ask about them, very few believe they're crocs.

shhhh Tue 09-Jun-09 21:55:37

Yes, they are. Although I did think this week about selling mine..I wore them a few times last yr (got them late on) and loved them BUT atm love flats (never thought I would say that!) esp with dd and ds to run around after!

MumHadEnough Tue 09-Jun-09 22:00:24

I know what you mean, i've got a fair few pairs of flats this year too.

Maybe we're just getting on a bit? grin

shhhh Tue 09-Jun-09 22:04:52

Yeah, think thats more like it!

Im only 4ft 11 and pre kids I NEVER wore flats. Even my trainers were platform blush. AND pregnancy with dd saw me mortified that I may have to wear flats..don;t think I did BUT oh how I changed once I had to push a pram and run after a fast toddler grin. Now with ds and dd its mad! Im slowly starting to introduce heels!

Crunchie Tue 09-Jun-09 22:20:26

What is wrong with pre=baby clothes and shoes? do we have to change sytle with the placenta?

I wear anything I like even with a 10 year old and an 8 year old.

On holiday I do wear crocs, I wore 4" mules and I usually take high heeled srappies too. Jewelled flip flops s are always a winner, day or night!!

shhhh Tue 09-Jun-09 22:28:11

nothing wrong with pre baby clothes/shoes crunchie. Just saying that some people change or maybe the situation changes as its not so easy to wear with lo's.

You have misunderstood. We are not saying "you have to act your age or even act a parent" but more like its hard running after a toddler in 4" heels.

I have platforms/heels/wedges/flats/crocs and all get worn at different occasions.

I mean look at posh spice. She looks amazing. Always well turned out BUT do you think she doesn the bulk of the childcare..? hmm. No way does she leg it out into the road after cruz in those heels.!

TheRealMrsJohnSimm Wed 10-Jun-09 10:05:08

LOL at Posh reference

I LOVE shoes but on holiday only take:

flat gold strappy sandals
flat silver strappy sandals
glittery flip flops for by the pool/beach (if I am running after DCs then its usually barefoot anyway)
gold strappy heels (which prob get worn once or twice during 2 week break)

Clothes wise, simple & chic is way forward - nothing fussy and over accessorised.

We went to posh hotel in Sardinia last year and the Italian ladies were so chic and glam, wearing very simple cut dresses either with heels or flats. The secret to their chic-dom, however, seemed to be in their grooming rather than their clothes per se. Gleaming skin & hair, perfect nails/toes, minimal make up and (most importantly) walking tall. I swear, I can spot a british woman on holiday from a mile away by the apologetic walk they adopt!

BodenGroupie Wed 10-Jun-09 11:36:52

Mrs Simm - best compliment on holiday I ever had was from a waiter who told me I was too well dressed to be British shock.

I go for flat strappy/sparkly teamed with linen trousers. Look back in amazement at my 1980s holiday photos - stillettos and minis teamed with perm and char-grilled skin blush

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now