Talk

Advanced search

Foundation brushes

(13 Posts)
GetOrfMoiLand Tue 09-Jun-09 14:30:13

After putting on foundation with my fingers all these years, I have now bought a brush. So far all is well, however it seems a bit tricky - sometimes I do have a 'painted lady' appearance akin to girls who work behind the counter in Estee Lauder (a look to avoid!). Has anyone got any failsafe tips on application?

Plus, washing the bloody thing. I didn't bother the first few days and it ended up looking and feeling like one of DP's paintbrushes in the jamjar in the garage. So now I use a bit of soap but it seems to have stiffened the bristles. Any ideas?

shhhh Tue 09-Jun-09 14:34:29

Right,you need to apply a bit of foundation to the back of your hand (a little goes along way remember) and gently apply to your face, in flicking motions iykwim. Make sure you blend around your jaw line to avoid the tide marks.!

Make sure you have good lighting to ensure you aren't missing areas.

To wash, use fairy liquid. Wash and rinse thoroughly and I leave to dry above a raidiator on a little kitchen roll.

Mine never goes "hard".

GetOrfMoiLand Tue 09-Jun-09 14:46:17

Thank you shhh! Yes, I have notice that if I am not careful I get tidemarks (oh the shame).

I neraly gave up but after spending £25 on the damn thing I am determined to use it.

noddyholder Tue 09-Jun-09 14:49:10

I have taken to adding a tiny bit of superdrug vitamin spf15 glow cream to normal foundation and it is great.Even the guy in the cafe where I get my TA coffee said my skin looked good which shocked me!It kind of spreads it out and makes it last.I rub it between my hands like moisturiser and rub it in well all over and leave it 5 mins before blusher etc.

shhhh Tue 09-Jun-09 14:55:55

You just need to keep practising smile.
Don't give up.
Im quite new to foundation brushes as well and find them fab. I use an airbrush foundation so its slightly easier iykwim but still use the brush and also use it when applying tinted moisuriser.

Keep going x

womblingalong Tue 09-Jun-09 14:56:10

Another tip or two to make foundation look less masklike:

Firstly: Don't apply all over, unless you feel you really need it. As Shhh says you only need a small amount. Around the nose, under the eyes, around the mouth and where you have blemishes fine, if you can leave the cheeks and forehead bare then do so.

Secondly, once the foundation is applied, rub your hands together and press them onto your face for a few seconds, the warmth helps to blend the foundation so it looks less mask-like.

You can wash brushes with shampoo, and leave to dry naturally, I upend it in a cup in the bathroom, a bit like a toothbrush mug.

ReginaCovington Tue 09-Jun-09 15:05:55

i am pleased with a new one i got form Bobbi brown( via ebay)

bellavita Tue 09-Jun-09 16:41:07

I bought a new foundation at the Lancome counter a few weeks ago and she showed me the brushes they had - blardy hell £24, I paid £26 for the foundation. The lovely girl on the counter saw the look on my face and gave me one for free!

I do as Shhhh says.

ReginaCovington Tue 09-Jun-09 18:00:54

yes DO look at ebay

shhhh Tue 09-Jun-09 19:03:19

Thats nice BV smile

Lady on guerlain counter was lovely to me today. I admit Im a regular and have my nails done at the nail bar so she is familiar with me but today I bought a few products and she gave me some lovely freebies.smile

I think its nice, its expensive buying products so a freebie now and then is a nice thankyou smile.

Woman on my usual clarins counter is older and I think when she see's me with 2 toddlers she takes pity smile.

GetOrfMoiLand Wed 10-Jun-09 11:16:52

Thanks again everyone - I tried this this morning (put foundation on in flicky motions) and it is a revelation - my skin looks like it has been airbrushed. I ended up using a lot less foundation as well. I am so pleased because before it looked like I had artexed my face!

shhhh Wed 10-Jun-09 14:35:15

Glad it worked! keep trying and it will get even better.grin. x

shhhh Wed 10-Jun-09 14:35:17

Glad it worked! keep trying and it will get even better.grin. x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now