Talk

Advanced search

Anyone have a similar (trouser related) problem, long belly to crotch ratio?!

(14 Posts)
PenelopePitstops Mon 08-Jun-09 14:13:31

Does anyone really struggle to buy trousers that fit?

For years I'v tried to work out the problem, and it is an unusually large gap from my waist to my crotch i think. I can get trousers to my waist but they 'pull' under my crotch, or I put waist fittd trousers around my hips and they look silly because the hips are halfway down my thighs!

Please someone else have this too, and where the hell do you buy trousers?!

MarthaFarquhar Mon 08-Jun-09 14:17:01

Marks and Spencers are good, but search for decent trews in there is hard work.

Topshop and Dorothy Perkins do "tall" trousers which are long from waistband to crotch. They are obviously very long-legged, but a dry-cleaner could take up the legs for you very cheaply if need be.

fanjoforthemammaries7850 Mon 08-Jun-09 14:19:16

Yes, I have this, I didn't know there was a technical term for it though! grin

PenelopePitstops Mon 08-Jun-09 14:20:47

ahh had never throught of tall trousers! I have short legs, but getting them turned up my mum could do!

MrsSeanBean Mon 08-Jun-09 15:13:53

Yes I have this problem, although I am not overly tall.

It can get you down as 'your' size never fits, until you realise that the 'waist' is actually on your hips.

Having sized up, I then find I am left with a gaping waistband (about 10 ins too large) in order for the garment to fit elsewhere. It all looks very odd.

PenelopePitstops Mon 08-Jun-09 15:21:29

mrs sean bean that is exactly how i feel

i always end up buying humungous trousers just to drown everything

i am a size 14ish when buying skirts dresses etc, in trousers i seem to have to go stupidly large and they never look right

MrsSeanBean Mon 08-Jun-09 15:30:13

I have long suspected PP, that I had a unique body deformity, so it's comforting to know I'm not the only one. Still maddening though. Although.... don't know about you, but I can get away with one (sometimes 2) sizes DOWN in skirts, especially if A line, so that sort of makes up for it in an ego-boosting kind of way.

sweetheart Mon 08-Jun-09 16:57:13

I feel I have a similar problem and I HATE trousers that sit on my hips! Perhaps we should measure from our belly button to our crotch and see how long it is and compare it with other people to confirm our suspicions.

BellaNoir Mon 08-Jun-09 21:20:34

Apparently it's called being low-waisted. The dress designer commented on it when I was fitted for my wedding dress. I think it's about 11" from crotch upwards.
Lower waisted jeans - just a bit higher than hipsters, tops need to be a bit longer too. M&S are doing t-shirts in their fair trade make which are longer and also 2 for £8.
I try not to get tops which finish where the 'normal' waist is as they make me look oddly stumpy. I reckon getting used to measuring shoulder to your waist measurement helps, particularly if you buy a lot of stuff from eBay as I do.

BellaNoir Mon 08-Jun-09 21:23:28

Um, I think on re-reading, I have the opposite problem to you gals oops blush

PenelopePitstops Mon 08-Jun-09 23:52:11

mrsreanbean im glad to have found someone else with this too, yes dresses i can be down to a 10 in overly generous fat face!

this might sound quite personal but do you have a really sticking out 'mound' that is your crotch? blush to ask that!

Kutner Tue 09-Jun-09 00:31:37

I have this affliction too angry

Buying tall trousers might be worth a go, but at 5'4" they'd probably have to double fold the legs up wink

toomuchmonthatendofthemoney Tue 09-Jun-09 00:43:49

yes i have this problem too! hurrah i am not pariah after all. V good.

I'm very long from waist to crotch. The underlying problem is a very long pelvis/pelvic bones, which i found out when the midwife told me this was why it took me a day and a half to push ds out into the world!

Anyway i'm only 5"7 but i get trousers from Long Tall Sally which fit brilliantly in this area and then just take up a couple of inches at the bottom. Because they are proportioned correctly for taller women they sit in the right place and look, well, normal! i sometimes buy tops/jerseys too if i want something a little longer in the body. Their stuff is well made and lasts ages. And i am a Small in LTS which is a nice ego boost!

TakeLovingChances Thu 11-Jun-09 17:46:48

Thank you ladies!!!! This is the bane of my shopping life, and I always thought I was the only one who felt this!

I have the same problem, plus the fact that my waist is 11 inches smaller than my hips, it all just leaves for a stressful shopping experience.

angry

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now