Talk

Advanced search

What the hell do I wear to a 'Garden Party'?

(10 Posts)
tiredemma Sun 07-Jun-09 20:48:09

Going to a HUGE POSH wedding next saturday in a beautiful country house. I have already got my outfit for that, However on the Sunday, the Brides father is hosting a big garden party affair at his home.
It sounds a fairly 'formal' type affair- what would be the best type of clothing to wear????

Im shit at 'style'

Hassled Sun 07-Jun-09 20:50:36

I would say (with my extensive non-experience of Garden Parties) the equivalent of another wedding outfit. So floaty/pretty/smart dress, possibly a hat.

nickytwotimes Sun 07-Jun-09 20:52:02

WHat Hassled said.

I've been to a couple and it was very weddingy.

<get me> grin

tiredemma Sun 07-Jun-09 20:53:12

Oh Sheesh. I blew my outfit budget on the wedding outfit.

Notquitegrownup Sun 07-Jun-09 21:12:32

I had exactly the same issue TM - but solved it in our local charity shop!! Check out charity shops in areas where folks are likely to go to cocktails a lot! It's amazing what you can get for £7.99!!!

llareggub Sun 07-Jun-09 21:39:18

Don't wear heels though. You need wedges!

kickassangel Sun 07-Jun-09 21:58:30

read this

nice dresses

boogiewoogie Sun 07-Jun-09 22:25:57

KAA's link should be useful but just to add my 2p's worth. In my former life as a student, I wore a smart light linen top and skirt or floral dress with sensible height shoes. You don't want to sink in the lawn!

ILoveDolly Sun 07-Jun-09 22:29:30

Yeah the shoes thing is vital! The heel is rweally importantly not to be pointy - so no kitten heels either.
Go to your nearest posh area and go in the charity shop there, you will get something good, I bet. A nice shift dress would be the conservative option.

tigerdriver Sun 07-Jun-09 22:34:29

country garden party = boden dress, colooured tights and biker boots, poss denim jacket. a bit flowery but don't try too hard. nice jewellry. you can only wear "shoes" of any sort - brantano or Jimmy Choo if it isn't heavy gauge mud.

Yes, I live in the country.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now