Talk

Advanced search

What the hell do I wear to a 'Garden Party'?

(10 Posts)
tiredemma Sun 07-Jun-09 20:48:09

Going to a HUGE POSH wedding next saturday in a beautiful country house. I have already got my outfit for that, However on the Sunday, the Brides father is hosting a big garden party affair at his home.
It sounds a fairly 'formal' type affair- what would be the best type of clothing to wear????

Im shit at 'style'

Hassled Sun 07-Jun-09 20:50:36

I would say (with my extensive non-experience of Garden Parties) the equivalent of another wedding outfit. So floaty/pretty/smart dress, possibly a hat.

nickytwotimes Sun 07-Jun-09 20:52:02

WHat Hassled said.

I've been to a couple and it was very weddingy.

<get me> grin

tiredemma Sun 07-Jun-09 20:53:12

Oh Sheesh. I blew my outfit budget on the wedding outfit.

Notquitegrownup Sun 07-Jun-09 21:12:32

I had exactly the same issue TM - but solved it in our local charity shop!! Check out charity shops in areas where folks are likely to go to cocktails a lot! It's amazing what you can get for £7.99!!!

llareggub Sun 07-Jun-09 21:39:18

Don't wear heels though. You need wedges!

kickassangel Sun 07-Jun-09 21:58:30

read this

nice dresses

boogiewoogie Sun 07-Jun-09 22:25:57

KAA's link should be useful but just to add my 2p's worth. In my former life as a student, I wore a smart light linen top and skirt or floral dress with sensible height shoes. You don't want to sink in the lawn!

ILoveDolly Sun 07-Jun-09 22:29:30

Yeah the shoes thing is vital! The heel is rweally importantly not to be pointy - so no kitten heels either.
Go to your nearest posh area and go in the charity shop there, you will get something good, I bet. A nice shift dress would be the conservative option.

tigerdriver Sun 07-Jun-09 22:34:29

country garden party = boden dress, colooured tights and biker boots, poss denim jacket. a bit flowery but don't try too hard. nice jewellry. you can only wear "shoes" of any sort - brantano or Jimmy Choo if it isn't heavy gauge mud.

Yes, I live in the country.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: