Talk

Advanced search

I need a CHEAPO maternity office suit that looks professional, to wear for court.

(17 Posts)
pavlovthecat Sat 06-Jun-09 21:27:56

I am going to court as a witness in a trial, I am the sole witness which will result in some-one being sent to prison.

I have suits for court hearings, but as it is not a day to day part of my job any more (shame, i love court!) I have no need to purchase a proper suit for my pregnancy bump.

None of my suit trousers fit in the slightest over my bump. And I really do not want to buy trousers to wear with my suit jackets, they are all pinstripe. It will look daft.

HELP! I have a couple of weeks.

(not a jot on ebay)

CMOTdibbler Sat 06-Jun-09 21:41:02

I'd get a black wrap dress instead - I had a maternity suit, and it was v expensive for what it was.

The black Melba maternity wrap dress I had was very smart and easy to wear

BlueKangerooWonders Sat 06-Jun-09 21:41:17

Do you really have to wear a jacket? Won't a smart shirt and skirt do? eg one of your dh's shirt maybe?

KristinaM Sat 06-Jun-09 21:43:01

unless you are an expert witness and giving evidence as part of your job, i do not think a suit is essential, especially if you are heavily pg

do you have other smart, dark " repectable" clothes eg a plain darkish dress or dark trousres and plain blouse?

KristinaM Sat 06-Jun-09 21:43:48

oops x posted

malfoy Sat 06-Jun-09 21:52:36

What size are you? I have a black jacket/ over the bump trousers and dress combination that you are welcome to have. Not sure what size but probably a large. I am 5'4 (1m63).

pavlovthecat Sat 06-Jun-09 21:53:06

Kristina - yes, it is as a professional witness as part of my job! Otherwise I would just wear a nice skirt.

A jacket is essential - its crown court. An absolute must imo. For two reasons. 1) in order to cover a tattoo on my upper arm. 2) to make me feel more confident as I am cross examined by a very strict judge.

I used to do court work weekly, and have some nice suits, but they are very tailored, not the type you can just use the jacket with any pair of black/grey trousers.

I have found this, but DH is spitting his dummy that I have to spend anything on having to go to court!

pavlovthecat Sat 06-Jun-09 21:54:45

Malfoy - thank you, but I am skinny witch due to hyperemesis, I am an 8 blush but the length is right, as I am 5'4! It will probably be too big?

If its likely to fit I would be happy to give you something towards it <eager, eager eager> grin

KristinaM Sun 07-Jun-09 17:17:15

sorry, if you are expert witness then its work and you have no choice. approved clothing is dark suit or dress and jacket

agree tatoo not a good look for expert grin

order that next suit today . sell it on ebay later if you want

dont know why your Dh is complaining hmm its work and you need to be suitably dressed.
you should be spending time preparing for court, not worrying about whether or not to spend £55 on outfit

tell DH to grow up

ShinyPinkShoes Sun 07-Jun-09 17:21:04

Go to Matalan maybe-you'd probably get something smart but cheaper there

Tinker Sun 07-Jun-09 17:58:49

I had to give evidence when pregnant. I just bought a black maternity dress.

cocolepew Sun 07-Jun-09 18:04:10

Could you wear a dress with a jacket over it? If you already have one it could stay unbuttoned.

PavlovtheCat Sun 07-Jun-09 18:48:22

Kristina - I think he is huffy as I will only wear it once. I might just go buy the isabella oliver one if I can re-sell it, what ya think grin grin. You are right. I have never been to court without a jacket on, round and about the offices fine, but not in front of a judge, nor anyone else. Is it actual policy or just unspoken protocol? I would never put myself in a position to find out grin

Problem with dresses, all my suit jackets are pinstriped so they won't match sad

KathyBrown Sun 07-Jun-09 18:51:00

Bloody hell it's only £55 would he really begrudge you that ?
The IO stuff is lovely but if you resell and loose 50% of that it's still more than 50% of the next stuff which I'd say you have the same if not more chance of recouping on ebay or the like.

PavlovtheCat Sun 07-Jun-09 19:36:16

Well, its not that he begrudges me £55, but he has lost his job and not been able to find another one yet, so money is a bit tight. And this is not a normal part of my job any more, its as a consequence of a spin-off that rarely ends with anyone being called as a witness. If it was part of my job like it used to be, and I would wear it again, he would not think about it.

His words 'you mean you got to pay to send someone down?' hmm grin.

He accepts this is what it will cost. He is just not happy about it! He reckons jeans and a black cardi will suffice. He has no clue bless him grin

KristinaM Sun 07-Jun-09 21:25:23

no its not a "rule" but its about your credibility, i think. you will look and feel more professional with a jacket

surely you will be able to wear the black maternity trousers throughout the rest of your pg while you are at work? so the only extra outlay is the jacket

you coudl get away with a smart white shirt but it wouldnt cost much less than the £35 jacket

anyway,if this is part of your job ( or former job) then you will be getting paid to attend court

if you are very pg you may wish to give your evidence sitting down, although you will be able to breathe better if you are standing

good luck

PavlovtheCat Mon 08-Jun-09 07:28:52

luckily not very pregnant at all - 16wks but second baby so have a bigger bump this time!

I actually love the whole going to court and wearing a suit business. I used to work in magistrates court and I loved it!

i am just gonna but the suit.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now