Talk

Advanced search

Do I have a freak body or do all casual trousers nowadays have a 1 inch zip that just about goes past your fairy cake?

(20 Posts)
HarryB Sat 06-Jun-09 15:53:18

Against my better judgement, I went into New Look today to get a pair of cropped blush trousers just for mooching about in during the week. Didn't try them on as hate shopping and couldn't wait to get out - big mistake. So I get home try them on and they do up - but only if I want them buttoned up on my bikini line. shock I have a mummy tummy and I also have a long trunk (like Kate Moss wink )so do have a high waist but blimey, is my body a ridiculous shape post DS, or is this lack of material in casual trousers commonplace. Or, is it just that New Look now only caters for 12 year olds.

cornsilk Sat 06-Jun-09 15:54:14

I'm liking fairy cake.
As for the trousers - get to gap.

HarryB Sat 06-Jun-09 15:57:34

As I walked round New Look, there was a young girl trying on pink and purple sequinned stilletos - that should have told me to leave.

Thanks for the tip on gap cornsilk, I'll try that tomorrow.

cornsilk Sat 06-Jun-09 15:58:29

shudder at the stilletos

NorbertDentressangle Sat 06-Jun-09 16:03:25

Try them on in Gap though as I bought some linen crops and linen trousers there at the end of last summer in the sale and when I tried them on this year I realised that they are huge.

I'm normally a 12 (occasionally a 10) but the Gap size 10s are almost falling down (and that is a UK 10/US 6).

NorbertDentressangle Sat 06-Jun-09 16:06:16

oh and I meant to add - Who on earth wears the shoes in New Look?

I went in there recently and they had the most ridiculously high shoes. I never see people out and about in them so who buys them?

(admitedly I don't go out clubbing or anything so maybe they're only worn after dark or after the watershed blush)

yappybluedog Sat 06-Jun-09 16:18:54

I get very confused by all the choice in those sort of shops

Primark is the worst, I walk in and immediately feel very lethargic wondering were to start

<old lady>

HarryB Sat 06-Jun-09 16:31:09

Norbert, I know what you mean about the shoes. This particular young lady looked like she was on stilts - sparkly ones at that!!!

*Harry requests membership at Yappy's old lady club*

potplant Sat 06-Jun-09 16:47:17

"I went in there recently and they had the most ridiculously high shoes. I never see people out and about in them so who buys them?"

Young girls who go out in their undies (well its seems like it) also wear stupid high heels they can't walk in.

potplant Sat 06-Jun-09 16:48:01

Just read that back - when did I get to be an old fuddy duddy!!!

yappybluedog Sat 06-Jun-09 17:31:32

everyone welcome, remember your comfy slippers and Bella magazine

curlygal Sat 06-Jun-09 18:40:40

unfortunately I think thta gap have changed their cut on their trousers since last year norbert.

I got a pair last year (cropped linen) that were marked as a size 6 and a HUAGE (ie they are roomy on me and I am a generous UK 12). They are also lovely and high cut at waist - ie they actually do not give you crack watch when you bend down.

I went back to get some new ones this year and they barely covered my bum at the back and the sizing was much less generous.

I tried new look too and they did nothing for me at all.

I got some in sainsburys tu and some lovely ones in next though.

ThePellyandMe Sat 06-Jun-09 21:17:05

I have a couple of fairly high waisted linen trousers from Debenhams John Rocha range but they are not cropped. They are a more flattering cut though.

They hide my saggy tum and big knickers wellgrin

I have some Gap cropped linen trousers from this year, I wouldn't recommend them as high waisted. They are a bit too low for me but I wear them with tunic tops.

NorbertDentressangle Sat 06-Jun-09 21:24:43

curlygal -I think you're on to something there as I find (or should I say used to find) Gap jeans a really good fit. Their US 6 was perfect for me.

However a couple of months ago I must have tried on about 20 pairs and not 1 fitted properly. They're also now marked up as 30x32 etc rather than US6/UK10 etc.

It was hopeless -one size would be too tight and give me a muffintop yet the next size would be falling down if I didn't wear a belt.

Pelly -last years Gap linen crops are really high so it sounds like they are very different now

Hormonesnomore Sat 06-Jun-09 21:28:15

I have the same problem - loooong body & how I hate having a muffin top! I can understand low slung trousers in a size 8/10/12 but why make them in larger sizes? <Will try Gap, John Rocha & probably Bon Marche>

Hormonesnomore Sat 06-Jun-09 21:29:42

Probably not Gap after reading Norbert's post...

LadyGlencoraPalliser Sun 07-Jun-09 17:25:45

I got a great pair of crops in Fatface last week - and, dare I say it, a bargainous pair in M&S - £9.50 and worth every penny!

howtotellmum Sun 07-Jun-09 18:20:51

I find Gap trousers hopelss now- I am a size 10 but the jeans are much too low and give me a muffin top.

MrsSeanBean Sun 07-Jun-09 18:25:17

I also have the OP's problem. Even normal rise are uncomfortably revealing on my tum. Low rise = no chance, the 'waist' sits below my hips. blush but per una seems ok on me, crop-wise. <old fartette emoticon>

HarryB Sun 07-Jun-09 20:44:14

Thank you all for suggestions. Didn't go shopping today - had a laundry day instead blush . Will check out Gap and M&S next weekend smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now