Talk

Advanced search

Royal Ascot hat

(5 Posts)
Sourdough Fri 05-Jun-09 20:06:40

Planning on wearing a black Vivienne Westwood skirt suit with kitten heels (can't walk in big 'uns) and think a large picture hat would look fab with it. BUT..
I'm barely 5'2" and worried I'll look like a mushroom. Wore a large-brimmed hat last year with very narrow outfit but hat had an angular shape at the crown and looked lovely. I do tend towards square-ish small hats, but feel it wouldn't do suit any justice and hate fascinators with a passion. It's all black with a couple of cream accents so at least it's not a pale colour which I would steer clear of anyway. I am a fairly slim 5'2" but suit is quite a curvy shape. Aaaarrrrgghhh! will fairies start dancing around me?

MrsBadger Fri 05-Jun-09 21:15:43

[rummages]

very good advice
iirc the site is run by a Mner so if you mention you are one too you may get a discount wink

Sourdough Fri 05-Jun-09 22:21:19

Mrs B, you are a ruddy marvel. Picked the hat, got the outfit sorted. Thank the lord I'm only going for one day!

MrsBadger Fri 05-Jun-09 22:40:39

grin

it actually gets easier the more you go - like the old Henley dodge: you can get away with wearing last years' Saturday outfit on Wednesday or Thursday as anyone who did see you wearing it the year before was probably too drunk to remember...

Sourdough Fri 05-Jun-09 22:55:01

I was interviewed on the racing channel last year, so couldn't get away with last year's outfit grin My problem is always my height (or lack thereof) and I don't do frilly or floaty. Racing generally is never a problem, but Ascot isn't a proper racing crowd. I find it a fine line to walk because I prefer a more tailored look but don't want to look totally detatched from the dressed up ladies

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now