Talk

Advanced search

Big ask I know but I refuse to be the office "mum" new wardrobe required

(45 Posts)
KathyBrown Fri 05-Jun-09 18:56:48

Am a size 12, 5'9" with D cup norks and decent legs, shame about the bum.
I am thinking dresses as I need to get dressed quickly in the morning. I keep finding myself drawn to "this www.jaeger.co.uk/index.cfm?page=1094&productid=630039R&productvar=630039R-05800-12&refpage=1583"
sort of thing but I do not want to look like the old lady of the office.
All suggestion very welcome, thank you in advance.

MrsHappy Fri 05-Jun-09 19:03:40

I like that. What it needs is really sexy heels and would not be mumsy at all.

KathyBrown Fri 05-Jun-09 19:04:38

Do you think ? I was worried it was a bit miss money penny ?

GossipMonger Fri 05-Jun-09 19:07:19

Tis a bit dull though.

How many outfits do you need?

Budget?

KathyBrown Fri 05-Jun-09 19:37:31

5 at least, budget of £1,500 including shoes for size 42 (boats) needs to be easily put together though and cover all eventualities.

foxinsocks Fri 05-Jun-09 19:38:45

that material sounds a bit odd and sweaty (though I admit I have no idea what Tri acewhatshisface is)

foxinsocks Fri 05-Jun-09 19:41:01

you didn't say how old you were

I would spend money on

1. Good black jacket (I've got a great lined one that has lasted me yonks)
2. work shoes

Other than that, you can get some nice suits still within your price range (skirts and shirts and some dresses). If you are having to wear a jacket, I'd go for more colourful shirts or dresses if you can pull it off.

foxinsocks Fri 05-Jun-09 19:42:04

I mean i think £1.5k is a v big budget for clothes (sorry my last post made it sound like it wasn't)

TheRealMrsJohnSimm Fri 05-Jun-09 19:49:02

I like that dress but wonder if the neck line makes it err on the mumsy side. How about a wrap dress? Or a v-neck line? Both would be flattering considering your norkage proportions <<extremely jealous barely c-cup emoticon>>

Only go for a black jacket if black suits your skin tone. Otherwise look at chocolate brown or navy. I wore black for years - despite the fact it made me look washed out because I felt black was somehow more "cool". I felt that navy was a bit "old lady". I now wear predominantly navy and it makes my skin glow and my eye colour "pop" even without make up on BTW, never had my colours done....just worked out what suited me best by trying on lots and lots of clothes

In terms of how to spend your cash.....try looking at Gok's page on the Channel 4 website. He does this whole 24-piece wardrobe thing (all from the high street so perhaps not as expensive as it may sound). It's all about having key pieces which you mix and match - including shoes, bags and accessories. If everything works with everything else then you have a huge amount of outfits from a relatively small amount of items.

KathyBrown Fri 05-Jun-09 19:52:57

I prefer navy and chocolate, I am a light autumn according to CMB so Black is a bit harsh.
When I was 18 i'd buy epsoide and country casuals and austin reed and now I'm 33 I want to wear karen millen blush

MrsMattie Fri 05-Jun-09 19:55:35

Oh, I am so joining this thread and semi-hijacking it <sorry!>

I need inspiration. Different shape to you (5'11 and size 14-16_ but need, need, need clothes that don't scream 'frump who had a baby 6 months ago'. Especially important as team sec is 23, my height, a size 8 and gorgeous. grin

TheRealMrsJohnSimm Fri 05-Jun-09 20:00:29

How about this dress from Jigsaw as your basic dress? It is structured enough to look smart with heels and necklace but could also look more "dressed down" with flats.

You could wear it with jackets or cardigans in navy, white or red or even hot pink. Ditto shoes and jewellery (adding gold and silver to the mix).

Will be back with a few other ideas.

mrsruffallo Fri 05-Jun-09 20:08:36

How about this?

mrsruffallo Fri 05-Jun-09 20:11:29

I love this

slyandgobbo Fri 05-Jun-09 20:12:11

I have that jigsaw dress - sadly the material stretches as the day goes on so it gets a bit droopy. Also makes arse look big and is a bit low- cut for office. Not recommending...

slyandgobbo Fri 05-Jun-09 20:14:02

I bought in Jigsaw a shift dress not dissimilar to the Jaeger one but with a more flattering neckline But it's not on the website sadly). Jigsaw dresses in their crepey suit material are very tough and last forever.

Katisha Fri 05-Jun-09 20:14:35

I know I am being thick here but all these dresses, or jackets that you wear with sleeveless dresses therefore no protection against ahem glowing - won't it be the case that you wear it one day and then you have to wash it/get it dry cleaned, so it is out of commission for quite a while?

For daily work purposes surely using easily washable tops/shirts etc that you can have several of the same is more practical?

Mind you I do walk quite a way to work so maybe the perspiration factor is more of an issue for me.

slyandgobbo Fri 05-Jun-09 20:17:05

Hobbs have some quite shapely suits and they last well too. Dresses are easy but it's a bit more obvious you are wearing the same thing a lot if you rotate dresses than if you mix up separates.

Clure Fri 05-Jun-09 20:20:57

grey with a different neckline
red but wear with navy jacket/shoes
with a little cardi
bit more casual

mrsruffallo Fri 05-Jun-09 20:21:39

How about this

KathyBrown Fri 05-Jun-09 20:46:09

mrsruffallo, are you on the right thread hun, I couldn't blow all my budget on what looks like a dressing gown to me but I admit I'm not cutting edge any more.
We're thinking more an IT department in Cheshire than a magazine editor in London.

mrsruffallo Fri 05-Jun-09 20:50:40

IT dept in Cheshire
Why didn't you say?
I was thinking smoky theatrical soho office, sorry

mrsruffallo Fri 05-Jun-09 20:51:38

How about this then?

KathyBrown Fri 05-Jun-09 20:52:02

Lol I wish wink I do want funky, not the hot 29 year I work with mum, but not going to get caught in the mainframe and strangle me, somewhere between the two.

KathyBrown Fri 05-Jun-09 20:52:39

Very good, I like that

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now