Talk

Advanced search

John Frieda - go blonder

(24 Posts)
LuLuBai Fri 05-Jun-09 14:09:15

Anyone tried this? Used the shampoo and conditioner for the first time this morning. No noticeable difference.

Does anyone know how it works? Is there actually any lightening agent in it? Do I have to use it for months before I see any change?

Should I just give up and go to the hairdresser?

bluebump Fri 05-Jun-09 14:27:29

I just saw the advert for this and wondered if it was any good. I have a feeling it would make my highlights which are dull brighter but do nothing for my roots.

I used to LOVE the John Frieda Beach Blonde range as that heat activating spray actually used to make my dark brown hair go blonde but it's been discontinued and there is no way I am paying the price it goes for on ebay.

LuLuBai Fri 05-Jun-09 14:43:16

Well I'll keep at it and see if there is any change over time. My hair certainly feels soft enough so no complaints there. But not especially shiny and definitely no lighter.

bluebump Fri 05-Jun-09 16:10:01

Well come and post back if it makes it lighter! I might give it a go if it does.

LuLuBai Fri 05-Jun-09 17:49:23

In the interests of science and MNers' hair I will continue my experiments and report back.

SoupDragon Fri 05-Jun-09 17:52:09

Would it be very wrong of me to use this on the SmallDragons' mousy hair? DS1 gets fabulous white blond highlights in the sun [sigh]

LuLuBai Fri 05-Jun-09 17:57:59

I have to confess I did put a little lemon juice in DDs hair when we were on holiday last September. She was only 17 months at the time.

blush blush [bluah]

MaggieBee Sat 06-Jun-09 15:07:57

LuLuBai, I WAS putting a red colour in my mouse hair the other day and my duaghter who has beautiful dark hair begged me to put some in her hair. I thought NO Ican't she's only 7, but then I thought, ach, it won't show up, her hair's too dark. well, she has quite obviously put something red in her hair. I'm embarrassed. SHe mgiht even have roots! I feel an idiot. she's delighted with it tho. I wonder what hte other mums will think of me... blush

MaggieBee Sat 06-Jun-09 15:08:55

ps, it's lovely NOW btw, natural looking. But I'm scared of roots....

LuLuBai Sat 06-Jun-09 15:19:52

Funny - I had a friend at school when I was 6 or 7 who coloured her hair red with henna. Her mother used it too so I guess she just wanted to be like mummy. She had dark eyes and fair skin and the reddish tone did look beautiful on her.

MaggieBee Sat 06-Jun-09 15:45:09

I'm hoping it will jsut fade! it was only l'oreal casting with no amonia.

SoupDragon Sun 07-Jun-09 18:26:08

[snort] Casting does fade

LuLuBai Wed 10-Jun-09 10:30:26

Ok - just reporting back. So far no obvious lightening. But my hair is very soft and seems to reflect light very well (not that we've had much sunlight lately).

So will keep at it and see if my hair ever gets visibly lighter. Although without being scientific and only using it on half my head to see how it compares the difference may be too subtle to actually tell.

Haven't tested it on DDs hair though grin.

ComeOVeneer Wed 10-Jun-09 10:33:22

I bought it yesterday in anticipation of keeping my highlights brighter after I get them done on Monday, so will see if it is just yet another gimmick I have fallen for!

lou33 Wed 10-Jun-09 10:37:15

my hairdressers friends recommend this

though i have dark hair so i cant say if it works or not from a personal pov

lou33 Wed 10-Jun-09 10:38:33

erroneous s in hairdresser there

LuLuBai Wed 10-Jun-09 10:41:06

I think it does brighten the highlights a bit. But I was rather hoping it might help me prolong my next trip to the hairdresser (7 week old baby so it's hard to make time for such luxuries).

Not having quite as dramatic effect as I would like though.

I think the approach of using it to brighten professional highlights is probably more realistic.

So will need to book myself in.

AppleAndBlackberry Wed 10-Jun-09 11:28:32

I have used it 3 times and I think my hair does look slightly lighter, but I think it does after just using normal John Freida so it will be interesting to see whether this goes further after a few more uses IYSWIM.

beaniebaby25 Sat 13-Jun-09 12:17:24

So... comoveneer and appleandblackberry - any update? Has it made any difference? I just saw an ad for this and am tempted... I already have hairdresser-highlighted hair though and not sure if it'll acually do anything. it says it strips the hair of "colour pigments"... hmm

LuLuBai Wed 17-Jun-09 14:43:13

I do think my hair might be looking a bit blonder now. Although no-one has commented on it or anything.

FrontRowFig Wed 17-Jun-09 14:52:12

Does it work on brown hair?
:hopeful:

LuLuBai Wed 17-Jun-09 15:03:06

Doubt it. My hair has highlights in and I think it has just lightened them up a little and made it a bit glossy so that it catches the light. It's all very subtle. But I can't really complain too much as I think my hair is looking and feeling reasonable.

RubyBlueberry Thu 27-Aug-09 19:41:47

Any update? Am thinking of that.
Do you know if there's a forum or a petition to bring back JF Beach Blonde ??
Apparently JF makes it for his special friends in his lab!

RubyBlueberry Thu 27-Aug-09 19:53:35

Actually there is a petition here

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now