Talk

Advanced search

I need a ball dress, help.

(15 Posts)
wolfnipplechips Thu 04-Jun-09 21:50:15

Ok i have a ball to go to in 3 weeks and i need a formal dress. Preferably long, i had my eye an a black silk bias cut dress but they don't have it in my size. The ball is for dd's new school so i would like to make a good impression but don't mind a little cleavage.

I would rather not buy from monsoon, coast,faren millen or debenhams mainly because of the possibilities of turning up in the same outfit.

I am 30,5'1 have 34E boobs and am an 8 on the bottom but a 12 on top due to the large norkage. My tummy is the bit i hate. I like Temperley and Miu Miu and French connection from the high street rather than boden.

Can anybody help? I have about £250-300 to spend.

Jewelsandgems Thu 04-Jun-09 21:57:48

Did net-a-porter not have anything of interest?

My advice is dresses with ruffles from the waist down will balance out your top half, and create an hourglass figure [plus disguise any tummy whatsoever]

wolfnipplechips Thu 04-Jun-09 22:02:12

Jewels they had lots of very lovely things but they were all too expensive. The outnet didn't even have anything suitable within budget.

Its a one night only dress and funds are tight sad

hf128219 Thu 04-Jun-09 22:04:55

And I presume you have nothing already in your wardrobe that you could liven up with new shoes etc??

JackieNo Thu 04-Jun-09 22:06:25

Do you need to wear a bra underneath whatever it is?

This?

Jewelsandgems Thu 04-Jun-09 22:08:02

I so know what you mean about avoiding the usual suspects re dress hops I.E Monsoon et al.

I got my black tie dress at a boutique, where all the dresses are hand made and one offs. It was £275 but at least I know I need not worry!

Reiss has some lovely stuff in right now, and if you are up for it so does All Saints. And there is always ted baker too, beautiful dresses - not too expensive.

wolfnipplechips Thu 04-Jun-09 22:09:03

Are you my dh hf?

I have a black satin karen millen dress that is verytight rather old but has only been worn once. It is a classic dress, maybe i should just starve.

wolfnipplechips Thu 04-Jun-09 22:10:56

Jackie its very nice but way to strappy, hang on i'll put a pic of me in my clingy wedding dress so as you get an idea.

JackieNo Thu 04-Jun-09 22:11:22

Yes - All Saints lovely.
This is classic looking and would skim over the stomach area.

JackieNo Thu 04-Jun-09 22:18:26

This may also be too strappy?
This is rather nice, but I'm not sure if it's full length.

wolfnipplechips Thu 04-Jun-09 22:19:40

pics on but can't make it bigger, damn it.

I am a bit smaller than this now it was taken a year ago a tear after having ds although i should tell you that i wear so much empire line and have such a crap tummy that somebody congrtulated me on my new baby the other day hmmsad

wolfnipplechips Thu 04-Jun-09 22:21:39

Jackie, i'm loving that bluemarine dress in black Thank you.

JackieNo Thu 04-Jun-09 22:24:12

Yay grin.

wolfnipplechips Thu 04-Jun-09 22:27:52

thats a fab site jackie.

JackieNo Thu 04-Jun-09 22:32:33

It's good isn't it. I also like Shopstyle, which is where I found out about Yoox.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now