Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

So, if you make an 'audit' of your appearance, and find a review is necessary...

(9 Posts)
TheProfiteroleThief Thu 04-Jun-09 12:41:00

...do you make it up as you go along, or do you have a clear idea of the sort of look you want, a sleb type person as an influence or what?

I fear a little remedial work may be necessary, but where to start? I think a more strategic approach rather than a new handbag might be more successful.

abraid Thu 04-Jun-09 12:48:06

I don't know: I've always found that buying a new handbag works well!

I just did it: on Monday, with a bag from Hobbs, which just, er, called my name. It's small and smart and lifts whatever I'm wearing. I think it was really worth the investment.

Perhaps I 'need' another one...

TheProfiteroleThief Thu 04-Jun-09 12:50:06

I am sure you do need another one wink

abraid Thu 04-Jun-09 12:52:07

Isn't it wonderful how you can come here and someone will tell you what you are hoping they'll tell you?

What do you need, TPT? Can I persuade you not to hold back?

womma Thu 04-Jun-09 13:01:04

I was just thinking about how I wish someone would take me in hand and give me a style re-jig. I need some hair and make up advice, and then a gentle nudge to change my style direction...anyone got the number for the fairy god-mother hotline?

TheProfiteroleThief Thu 04-Jun-09 13:09:40

Well, if I am honest, I tend to keep on top of things and update fairly regularly (my rude hairdresser is a gem for this grin).

She will say 'it is time for a change, you look an old fart'

So due for new hair next week.

I don't have any clothes more than 2-3 years old, my make up is fairly natural, but selected to suit my colouring. I wear jewellery most days (real and fakey/funky).

However, I considered that when I redecorate a room, it works better if I change everything with a final result in mind, rather than piecemeal.

I also noticed a few friends were looking slightly 'dated' having dressed the same way for about 10 years (eek) and whilst they still look 'tidy' and I would not hurt their feelings for the world, I wondered if they thought the same about me and I have unwittingly turned 'mumsy'.

Sorry - a bit rambling I know

abraid Thu 04-Jun-09 15:49:23

I wish my hairdresser would be more forward about suggesting new hairstyles.

womma Thu 04-Jun-09 16:26:43

PT - that's it, I don't want people looking at me and thinking 'she's looking a bit...' but I just don't have the time and energy (or budget) right now to give my appearance the attention it needs. That's why I need someone to help me out a bit.
Do you find that you buy the same kind of clothes over and over again? I'm stuck in that kind of rut.
You do sound like you keep on top of it well, I need to take a leaf out of your book.
What kind of hairdo are you going for and what kind of clothes have you got your eye on? Inpsire me PT, puhlease!!

TheProfiteroleThief Thu 04-Jun-09 19:13:54

Well - that makes me sound much more together than I am grin!

I would describe my current look as slightly ethnic, aging surfer. I tend to buy Fatface (mainly outlet and ebay as I am very poor!) and mix them with similar bits. Usually with a few layers so vest under open shirt/cardi/jacket. I have shocking legs (scarred and chubby) so always wear trews or full length skirts which limit me a bit.

Shoes from el natura (£££ but last for years) or flip flops in summer. AM considering some orange birkies as someone linked to them on sale.

My hair was in a pob for a while (bless posh, that was fab) but with a waxed shaggy finish, but have grown it to shoulder length and am using a conical curler for shaggy curls. This is By Order of She Who Must be Obeyed aka my hairdresser.

I do make a point of replacing specs every 2 years or so as they seem v dating too.

I suppose my concern is, am I too old to pull off this casual a look these days (40!eek). Probably the thing to do is put up a pic and ask if I look like an old fart, but I am the photographer of the family and don't think I have one of me that is less than a year or so old. Plus I am too shy.

I cannot really think of any kind of look to aspire to - I think Emma Thompson is the kind of sleb who I think is looking better as she gets older, but how much of that is real life and how much is mega groomign for special events only?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now