Talk

Advanced search

shrug/cardy advice

(4 Posts)
ThingOne Thu 04-Jun-09 11:19:14

I need a cardy/wrap/shrug to wear with a maxi dress to a party this weekend.

The dress is cream/brown/silver-grey/gold-ish in a geometric pattern. It's crinkled material with a shimmer.

I've put a lot of weight on recently and the flimsy gold shrug I bought to wear with it just highlights my very large hips.

I'm 5'3. Norks currently good due to excess weight and top half looks good. Dress makes me look as I have a bit of waist whereas in reality it is currently lost. Hips very heavy - size 16 - which is very big for a short person. I have pale skin and reddish hair. I'm 42 and not fashion forward wink. Far more interested in what makes me look good.

What sort of style/shape should I look for to be most flattering?

I do need a covering as I have a colostomy (on my tummy) and if it goes into action during the evening I need to be able to cover the lump the bag will make while I make my way to the loo and make it flat again.

I can shop in Bath, Bristol or Cribb's Causeway tomorrow. Too late for on-line only!

blondissimo Thu 04-Jun-09 22:08:03

Is the dress new? Is there any way you could send a link to it or post a picture on here? Sorry it's just difficult to visualise smile

Helium Fri 05-Jun-09 09:05:37

I think most cardis/shrugs will do this (i.e mke your hips look big) because they sort of stop at the hips - if you buy anything longer or to provide more coverage I think that might just look a bit odd...

I would get a wrap (or sarong) and artfully drape it around you - would also give you more opportunity to cover your bag if neceessary (whereas pulling a cardi etc over would simply look like you are trying to hide it).

Good luck!

ThingOne Fri 05-Jun-09 09:15:51

It's not new and I can't find the photo I have of me in it. Anyway, I was two stone lighter and still had breastfeeding norks so it looked good.

I have now seen some nice looking wraps which look long enough and am off to shop them now.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now