Talk

Advanced search

Could I wear this maxi dress to a wedding?

(17 Posts)
dorothybunny Wed 03-Jun-09 14:41:34

I've just ordered this dress as I love the colour but was wondering if you think it would be suitable to wear to a wedding too? Any suggestions as to what shoes and accessories would go? I'm not hugely keen on my arms so what could I use to cover them a little? Would also prefer to wear heels than flats and want to look elegant rather than going for the dressed up boho look. Why is it that the perfect dress is sooooo hard to find? Please help!

bubblagirl Wed 03-Jun-09 14:47:34

you could get a pretty scarf to drape round your arms and some nice shoes maybe with diamante these are nice

bubblagirl Wed 03-Jun-09 14:48:56

scarf worn similar to lady on bottom of page you posted but obviously in different color

KristinaM Wed 03-Jun-09 15:32:48

i agree. scarf and big necklace OR earrings ( not both)

personally i wouldn't wear heels with maxi dress

lots of elegant silver or gold flatties out there at the moment

dorothybunny Wed 03-Jun-09 16:43:35

Thanks. Will look for some chunky jewellery then. Thanks also for the link for the shoes. I like the flat sandals that are about at the moment but really wanted to wear heels for the wedding. The search continues...

bubblagirl Wed 03-Jun-09 16:56:05

i like the black wedge shoe

bubblagirl Wed 03-Jun-09 16:57:24

if you look through they have lovely shoes and matching bags

bubblagirl Wed 03-Jun-09 16:59:01

i really like some of these too

TheDevilWearsPenneys Wed 03-Jun-09 16:59:35

Heels and maxi dress is a big no, the lines are all wrong.

I'd wear strappy metallic flat shoes and a colourful printed bag.

ReginaCovington Wed 03-Jun-09 17:02:31

SCARF?

why on earht do you need more fabric?

ethnic earrings and wedges

SheikYerbouti Wed 03-Jun-09 17:02:47

Oooh, I like that dress.

Agree some nice silver flatties would look good with that.

princessmel Wed 03-Jun-09 17:11:33

I agree no heels.

Also no to a scarf.

Wedges or flats. Nice chunky jewellery.

minko Wed 03-Jun-09 17:25:40

As above - agree with princessmel. Nice dress.

dorothybunny Wed 03-Jun-09 19:31:45

Glad you all like it. Thanks for all your suggestions. Have taken on board that heels are a no no with the dress and am now on the lookout for some suitable flats.

ReginaCovington Wed 03-Jun-09 19:33:08

oh deffo heels
they know nothing

ReginaCovington Wed 03-Jun-09 19:36:04

"THE MAXI DRESS

Why? Floor-length dresses are back for both day and evening, and have been given a romantic twist with lacy trim, beaded or bejewelled bust lines and delicate patterns. Get this look right and you’ll appear light, airy and breezy, as opposed to stiff, formal and constricted (though avoid that fitted-to-the-floor look). Keep it cottony and lightweight for day, and floaty, patterned or embellished for evening. It’s a great look if you hate your legs (these dresses hide many sins) and it effectively elongates the silhouette. But if you are a petite Kylie size, steer well clear — you will drown in all that diaphanous fabric.

How? Empire line is the most flattering on a long dress, focusing attention on the bust, neck and shoulders.

Avoid medium-heeled shoes. Wear either a flat Jane Austen-style slipper or a chunky wedge platform.
Jersey dress, £72, from Jigsaw; 020 8392 5600
"

ReginaCovington Wed 03-Jun-09 19:36:26

in flats it will look like a nighty

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now