Talk

Advanced search

I've found a dress!! Now, what about the rest?

(20 Posts)
MuffinToptheMule Wed 03-Jun-09 13:08:56

I've got my graduation ball coming up and I've bought this dress for it from John Lewis.
I was going to get the dress in purple and wear gold shoes, but now I've got it in green.
I've got dark brown hair which comes to just above my shoulders; pale skin (might have a bit of a tan though because I'm going on holiday) and I'm 5'7'. What colour shoes, bag, make up, jewellery? Also I can't walk in very high heels. Please help me, I've never been to a ball.

MaryBS Wed 03-Jun-09 13:25:19

Just wanted to say I LOVE the dress

LaurieFairyCake Wed 03-Jun-09 13:35:07

I'm wearing a green dress this weekend and I'm pairing it with red shoes and bag.

shoes are a bit like this, however my dress is emerald green so maybe bright pink shoes would work

these

For a ball I would wear simple jewellery. A lot of chunky stuff looks very day jewellery to me.

MuffinToptheMule Wed 03-Jun-09 15:14:32

Wow, those shoes are very bright. I'm not used to such bright colours. Would silver look too washed out against pale green?

woodenchair Wed 03-Jun-09 15:25:05

I think silver strappy shoes would look good

Sazisi Wed 03-Jun-09 15:27:37

Was going to suggest silver accessories too

sweetheart Wed 03-Jun-09 15:34:50

haven't you heard the saying red and green should never be seen?

I would go for brown sandle type heals and some nice ethnic jewellary. Perhaps some wooden bangles and earings.

sweetheart Wed 03-Jun-09 15:36:57

something like this maybe?www.monsoon.co.uk/invt/48447603&bklist=icat,5,shop,accessorize,accessorizejewellery,accessorizebangl es

browntrout Wed 03-Jun-09 15:53:57

I like red and green together I have to say although I think the red shoes linked here might be a bit too bright. I think silver, gold, dark purple (aubergine maybe) or yellow would all work well.

steamedtreaclesponge Wed 03-Jun-09 15:58:37

I think gold would go really well, and would warm the look up better than silver.

I'm not sure I'd team bright colours with it since it's more of a pastelly shade; lilac or sky blue might go quite well though. Or, as sweetheart said, wooden shoes/accessories would look nice and be a bit different.

TheGirlWithTheMostCake Wed 03-Jun-09 16:04:03

silver or gold defo

minko Wed 03-Jun-09 17:29:43

What about dark purple? That would work with that shade of green. Maybe purple and a bit of silver??

minko Wed 03-Jun-09 17:32:51

shoes

bag

Sago Wed 03-Jun-09 17:38:52

congratulations on your graduation - i like the dress! i've got trinny and susannah out the library and though i don't agree with a lot of their stuff (too feminine for me!)here's what they think would go with that colour:
-hot pink and nectarine
-lilac and deep purple
- turquoise and forest green

though I think gold and silver would also work well with it.
enjoy the holiday and the ball- you won't care what colour you are wearing after a few drinks!!

janeite Wed 03-Jun-09 17:43:05

Gold or silver. I think it would look sweet with pretty silver sandals, Indian silver bangles on the wrist and either earrings or necklace but not both.

janeite Wed 03-Jun-09 17:44:18

If you have a bit of a tan, gold might be better than silver but my personal preference is always for silver over gold as I have cool colouring.

wahwahwah Wed 03-Jun-09 17:48:54

Gorgeous. Have you thought of very plain beige shoes? Anything else may take focus away from that lovely dress. I also agree with silver.

I may have to get one for myself.

MuffinToptheMule Wed 03-Jun-09 18:37:33

Thank you for all your replies. I think I'm going to go with gold or silver and then there will be more choice of wearing the shoes/using the bag again. The heels which have been linked so far are far too high for me to walk in. Can anyone link silver or gold shoes which have a smaller heel and will go with the dress?

LaurieFairyCake Wed 03-Jun-09 19:59:19

here's a low heeled silver pair from Next

glad to see that Tranny and Soozy agree that bright pink would go with it grin

"red and green should never be seen" - applies to wedding dresses (old adage)- not putting the colours together as Bree in Desperate Housewives will attest to - she looks fabulous in green with her red hair.

MuffinToptheMule Wed 03-Jun-09 21:45:40

I like those Laurie. They also look manageable to walk/dance in. I'll make a trip to Next in the next (no pun intended) few days.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now