Talk

Advanced search

Is this Hobbs top a dud - or can it be rescued?

(10 Posts)
blithedance Tue 02-Jun-09 21:33:53

In desperation for summer tops for work I've bought this one from Hobbs (you are looking at "Heavy Embroidery T Shirt" in dark brown. Frankly, it's very frumpy to a curvy figure, not fitted enough at the waist; thick non stretchy fabric.

BUT there was not much choice out there- could it be rescued to be decent workwear? What would you wear it with? Necklace? belt?

slyandgobbo Tue 02-Jun-09 21:36:44

If you are still looking for tops for work, try the L K Bennett website sale section - good quality and fit.
Not sure what you could do with that brown one. Less might be more.

MarthaFarquhar Tue 02-Jun-09 21:36:51

can you return it?

I loved the look of some of the stuff on the Hobbs website, so went there at the weekend to try on some stuff for work. I did find that it was all a tad matronly, despite seeming perfectly innocuous on the hanger.

blithedance Tue 02-Jun-09 21:46:17

Matronly, exactly. I could return it but that leaves me with no tops at all rather than a possible one.

Not sure about LK Bennet, is hard to imagine how they will look. I bought a couple of tops from H&M, other end of the price scale, they were cheap and looked it.

cherryblossoms Tue 02-Jun-09 21:52:15

On the site it looks as though it would work in a Madmen/vintage way - teamed with a cardi and 50s/60s style skirt or capri/cropped trousers/jeans. 50s/60s jewellery too (large brooch, 2009-style pearl necklace).

I'm guessing it's not that good in the flesh though.

Could you take it in? Though if it's a really unyielding fabric, you won't be able to get it on then.

PortAndLemon Tue 02-Jun-09 21:54:47

If you are curvy that neckline is a BIG mistake by itself. Take it back and buy something v-necked from somewhere (there's another thread on v-necked tops running at the moment that may have some suggestions).

slyandgobbo Tue 02-Jun-09 22:22:15

On the sale bit some of the LK Bennett tops are not too bad pricewise and the ones I bought looked better than I expected, although the sizing seemed a bit random. But it is hard to visualise them on when you are squinting at the little pictures- I find this with all online purchases.

Pannacotta Tue 02-Jun-09 22:27:47

Take it back and go to Monsoon/Phase Eight/LK Bennet/Fenn Wright and look again at H&M.
The Hobbs one is over priced and yes matronly.

soopermum1 Tue 02-Jun-09 22:47:44

it could be rescued, i reckon, with cream or whilte linen trousers and brown shoes/sandals and maybe some mint or lime green accessories???

blithedance Wed 03-Jun-09 13:42:28

Ok, thanks. The writing was on the wall really.

Have swapped it for a plain Hobbs stretch brown T shirt (which will just go under cardigans etc) and also got a black Bravissimo viscose top (cannot link as office IT system blocks Bravissimo, but it's called puff-sleeve top).

Next time I have an afternoon off I'll venture into the unknown territory of Pannacotta's brands!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now