Talk

Advanced search

What make up do you hate?

(64 Posts)
GetOrfMoiLand Tue 02-Jun-09 16:24:24

I loathe the thickening mascaras which are advertised all over the place. I tried one which consisted of white undercoat (to thicken) and black mascara to put on top. It makes my eyelashes look like pertrified spiders. It is horrible and takes an age to take off, and is all fibrous and yucky. I now resort to cheap and cheerful plain non-thickening or lengthening mascara - is so much better.

Also have tried Loreal Minerals powder - it is useless. Goes on patchy and strangely coloured.

What make up do you hate?

lou33 Tue 02-Jun-09 16:31:39

touche eclat, it makes my eyes go scaly and sore

Tinker Tue 02-Jun-09 16:33:09

I couldn't work out how to use the L'Oreal Minerals powder - which bit to put the brush in, where shoudl the powder be etc.

Megglevache Tue 02-Jun-09 16:35:04

Mineral powder, make me look like a corpse.
Touche Eclat- used it for years then I think they started to put something dicky in at as it made my eyes scaly too.
Ronseal - fake tan grin

Megglevache Tue 02-Jun-09 16:35:46

Mineral powder - makes me look like a corpse.

Touche Eclat- used it for years then I think they started to put something dicky in at as it made my eyes scaly too.

Ronseal - fake tan grin

lou33 Tue 02-Jun-09 16:36:04

ooh no i love my fake tan, it saves me from looking like a corpse

BitOfFun Tue 02-Jun-09 16:36:38

Loreal mnerals is awful, I agree!

I can't stand seeing girls in fake tan with really pale lippy on. It looks like their teeth are darker than their lips, and is just odd.

BitOfFun Tue 02-Jun-09 16:37:51

Oh and for me personally- I have never been able to get along with bronzing powder.

KingRolo Tue 02-Jun-09 16:45:23

Fake tan - have never mastered how to apply it without making myself look like a piece of streaky bacon
Mineral foundation - everyone says it's great. I don't.
Liquid eye liner - would get a better result with a felt tip pen.

I'm 31 but still feel like a 12 year old when it comes to make-up.

GetOrfMoiLand Tue 02-Jun-09 16:49:24

God knows with that mineral crap, I think you were supposed to get a bit on your brush, tap the excess off, brush in inspired manner all over your face. However I tried I looked as if I had out cake mix all over my chops.

Concealer to hide spots (not the touche eclat, hide the black suitcases shadows under your eyes type. They make your spots look bigger.

I also don't like lipsticky looking lipstick. You know, where it looks like you're wearing lipstick, in manner of Alexis Colby.

KingRolo Tue 02-Jun-09 19:43:43

Mineral foundation is such a fad. I bet we'll all be laughing at ourselves in a few years time.

Meglet Tue 02-Jun-09 19:46:10

fake tan - doesn't work on hairy laydeez like me who have to bleach themselves every few days. The bleach bleaches out the fake tan hmm.

eye shadow - i have no idea what to do with it. I must have funny eyes.

Scootergrrrl Tue 02-Jun-09 19:52:35

(whispers) With mineral foundation, you're supposed to really work it in with the brush, in circles and stuff. Otherwise it looks rubbish. This is NOT in the instructions....

ThePhantomPlopper Tue 02-Jun-09 19:55:22

Mineral foundation is great. You have to polish it on in circles IFYSWIM?

ThePhantomPlopper Tue 02-Jun-09 19:56:23

Hate fake tan. I can't get it right ever.

elliepac Tue 02-Jun-09 19:57:16

liquid eyeliner...panda eyes doesn't even begin to cover it.

whoopsididitagain Tue 02-Jun-09 19:59:21

cream foundation just looks orange on me i have very sallow skin md minerals 2.0 for me all the way

bluebump Tue 02-Jun-09 20:04:24

I hate any of those mascaras with a plastic comb rather than a brush. If I use one I look like I have spiders on my eyes.

theDreadPirateRoberts Tue 02-Jun-09 20:13:37

Mineral foundation is fab. Lorrible Mineral foundation is not...

Agree on the thickening mascara and the fake tan.

And have never ever found a concealer that actually did that. It always seems to sit on top of my skin shrieking 'look! Over here!' [hmmph]

bebesequin Tue 02-Jun-09 21:14:42

Chanel foundation smelly,orangey,and feels urgh. Cost ten pounds more than my usual and far superior Clinique one.

Bonneville Tue 02-Jun-09 21:26:10

Oh I agree with that mascara with the white undercoat. Its horrid and the white shows through.

MrsMcCluskey Tue 02-Jun-09 21:29:51

Agree with the thickening mascara - esp when you forget to add the black top coat!
I cant get along with Bronzers.
Love mineral foundation though.
Hate frossted lipstick.

GetOrfMoiLand Wed 03-Jun-09 09:27:10

I am a great lover of liquid eyeliner (took ages of practice to be able to perfect it though, I looked like a raddled old wino for quite some time grin)

However for some reason I have decided that it doesn't really look summery, so bought a khol pencil for the first time since my teens at the weekend - the difference being that this one is by Estee Lauder, and the once when I was a teenager was by Constance Carroll!

I have got it on this morning and it looks awful. All smudgy looking and mucky. Not my clean, sweeping liquid eyeliner line (waaah)

So add bloody khol pencil to ths list.

Re mineral foundation I did try to put it on in swirls (I read how to on a website). However it didn't look good. It just looked, um, as if I had put my make up on in circles - you could see where it started and ended. I gave it to dd to play with in the end

TheRealMrsJohnSimm Wed 03-Jun-09 13:20:27

I wish I had read this thread before wasting £12 on sodding L'Oreal Minerals bronzer for brunettes angry. It's absolute crap and makes me look like I've been down t'pit rather than St Tropez blush

Also never got on with fake tan BUT am loving St Tropez's Every Day stuff. Works so well and not at all streaky.

GetOrfMoiLand Wed 03-Jun-09 14:25:39

lol at down t'pit

I have got sick of the panda kohl pencil look and washed it off my eyes, reapplied the only eye make up which I have in my bag (blue frosted eye pencil) so now look like Anni-Frid from Abba.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now