Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

help needed from fellow tight-wads

(21 Posts)
SenoraPostrophe Sun 08-May-05 14:34:33

I need to buy a new dress for a wedding - trying to get one online.

The thing is, apart from my wedding dress and winter coat, I have never spent more than 20 quid on an item of clothing. And it has to be really nice for 20 quid. I'm a charity shop girl and proud of it, and designer labels put me off (though i do like good quality)

anyway I've found this - very "me", and nice fabric. But it's 39 pounds so i am unsure. I would probably buy it anyway if it had a high neck (as in turtleneck) because then i would be able to wear it around without worrying about getting sun cream all over it (the front of my neck burns in about 5 seconds flat). The alternative is this

what do you think? is anyone else like this about buying clothes? if so what would you do?

SenoraPostrophe Sun 08-May-05 14:35:06

ps would buy a skirt and top, but can't find any I like.

popsycal Sun 08-May-05 14:35:44

i see a pink bikini on that link..

SenoraPostrophe Sun 08-May-05 14:39:26

arse. cheap one , expensive one

spykid Sun 08-May-05 14:41:19

Think the more expensive one looks much nicer....sorry!

Fran1 Sun 08-May-05 14:44:32

i vote for the expensive one two, how much is it?

spykid Sun 08-May-05 14:51:50

what about this one from next on the right hand side

only £29.99! or the halter neck next to it for£26.99

SenoraPostrophe Sun 08-May-05 14:57:10

fran1 - 39 pounds (i.e. 19 more than I would usually pay).

next one is nice, but far too low cut - not that I'm prudish, but I would spend all day rubbing cream into my cleavage. halterneck would mean no bra. or at least buying anew bra. scarey.

So that's 2 to none so far then...tamum is always good at this kind of thing. perhaps i've put her off with the thread title.

popsycal Sun 08-May-05 15:08:32

watching wuth interest - off to a wedding next month at which i will have to feed ds2....so looking for easy access,,,,

SenoraPostrophe Sun 08-May-05 15:15:21

popsy - I weaned ds last week specially! this will be my first chance to wear a normal dress in nearly 2 years.

have you seen Lou's thread? there are a couple of nice top and skirt combos on there - short skirts though so no good for my spam-like legs.

popsycal Sun 08-May-05 15:16:02

wheres lou's thread?

SenoraPostrophe Sun 08-May-05 15:20:32

lou's thread

Aero Sun 08-May-05 15:20:58

I got my whole wedding outfit for my brother's wedding in H&M a couple of years ago. Skirt, sleeveless polo top and cardy to match for the grand sum of £30!! Was amazed and it looked great (imho). Was a similar colout to the expensive one, which I must say is really gorgeous, but I also like the cheap one too. Put the cream on before you get dressed in a high factor and you should be ok for hours, then maybe re-apply in the loos later on in the day without plastering it on the dress.

popsycal Sun 08-May-05 15:21:36

thanks
may start a thread myself....

SenoraPostrophe Sun 08-May-05 15:22:56

aero - the problem is that H&M don't sell online and I was hoping to order something and get it sent to my dad's.

I'm cutting it fine as the wedding is next Sat, but should be OK.

miranda2 Sun 08-May-05 15:28:36

Def the more expensive one - looks much nicer, and much nicer than £39 too! I'd say that was a bargain.

tamum Sun 08-May-05 15:30:53

I like the cheap one, actually, even though I am the opposite of a tightwad when it comes to spending money on myself. I have sometimes had to wait weeks for deliveries from Le Redoute, though. Have you looked at Kew?

SenoraPostrophe Sun 08-May-05 15:37:47

I seem to remeber they delivered quick last time. But no, what is kew?

tamum Sun 08-May-05 15:41:03

Bum, it's undergoing maintenance . I'll keep thinking..... (also trying to supervise children making chocolate chip cookies so may be some time)

Aero Sun 08-May-05 15:43:57

Oh that is a pain! Am sure you'll get the right outfit and for a one off £39 isn't bad! It really is lovely.

beansontoast Sat 14-May-05 13:40:03

senorapostraphe
i know this is a little late...but as a totally brassic charity shpoper tight wad myself...i thought id share a site i found recently that is pretty cheap.its 'vintage'clobber..some weird stuff and some pretty regular stuff.
i havent learnt how to do links but its called marthascloset.co.uk
one thing though most of it is pretty small.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now