Talk

Advanced search

First night out for quite a while - do people still wear gowns, gloves and bustles for a night on the town? Should I wear a hat or a tiara?

(20 Posts)
HuffwardlyRudge Mon 01-Jun-09 16:58:57

<Hyperventilates>

I'm going out with the girls.

I have NO IDEA what to wear. Not a clue.

Me: 5'6, size 12/14 (recently lost some weight so feeling pretty good). Bit of a shabby two-children figure.

The plan: It will be fairly glam. Dinner then a bar or two. We're not in UK and it's HOT outside but cool inside (a/c).

I fancy a dress. Yes? No?

I think heels are a must.

I even thought I'd buy an underwired bra shock instead of the blimmin feeding bras I have lived in for the past 400 years or so.

You can't tell me precisely what to buy because I might not have the same shops / same stock, but give me some inspiration PLEASE!!

TheProfiteroleThief Mon 01-Jun-09 17:04:37

Start with super undies. Deff new bra - is fitting good where you are?

If figure is a little softer shall we say, than pre-dc, then a tailored/ftted dress can be fab. I find this helps counteract the mumsiness of my physique.

Are your legs/arms good?

New requirements for night out are

phone
£ for taxi in envelope with address written on it, in case incapable of speech
lipstick
bail money grin

HuffwardlyRudge Mon 01-Jun-09 17:11:01

Good tips. Oooh, I could buy some super-pants to squeeze everything in. Although that might be a bit sweaty...

<dusts the cobwebs off her white lead face powder>

TheProfiteroleThief Mon 01-Jun-09 17:18:22

Won't matter in aircon!

Could you go for strappy/sleeveless frock with dinky cardi?

HuffwardlyRudge Mon 01-Jun-09 17:34:13

Oh god you're right. I could do strappy without mahoosive bra straps to hide.

I am overwhelmed by the possibilities.

TheProfiteroleThief Mon 01-Jun-09 17:37:33

And you will need jewellery and book your hair too!

Overmydeadbody Mon 01-Jun-09 17:40:47

magic knickers, a dress, heals, jewelerry and your hair and make-up all nice!

Go for it girl.

HuffwardlyRudge Mon 01-Jun-09 18:24:23

Oh god. Hair. I have terrible hair.

Clure Mon 01-Jun-09 18:35:47

give your feet a little pampering with some gorge bright toe nail polish - this always looks great with nice sandals!

TheProfiteroleThief Mon 01-Jun-09 18:41:36

chop chop chop!

HuffwardlyRudge Mon 01-Jun-09 18:44:32

I wonder if my friends will recognise me without a pushchair / vomit on my shoulder / a smelly nappy in my handbag?

In fact - THIS REALLY HAPPENED - last week a woman I know at toddler group was about to walk past me and then did a double take and said "Oh Huff! Sorry, I totally didn't recognise you because you're not carrying a child."

hmm

TheProfiteroleThief Mon 01-Jun-09 19:34:27

You need a countdown - to allow for fake tan/pedi/mani/haircut and colour/shopping etc

HuffwardlyRudge Mon 01-Jun-09 19:51:54

Bonus - am going to get a few hours to myself to pop to beauticians and even go to the mall to find something to wear without the help of my children!

TheProfiteroleThief Mon 01-Jun-09 20:43:22

woo hoo
now gives us your comprehensive list

HuffwardlyRudge Tue 02-Jun-09 11:20:28

Well I've had my eyebrows done. I was going to the mall but ds fell asleep in the car and I took pity on him and came home so he could have a snooze instead. Will try and get to the shops tomorrow.

Dress.
Shoes (if none of mine go)
Hair? Maybe?
Feet. Def due for a pedicure.

That's it, isn't it? <worried>

TheProfiteroleThief Tue 02-Jun-09 18:56:45

Unless you are planning on going commando you also need

lingerie fitting (place to start imo)
dress+ cardi
shoes/sandals
accessories (your daily mummy type bag Will Not Do)

Not that I am a control freak - oh nooooo. But well done on the brows - excellent start

HuffwardlyRudge Tue 02-Jun-09 19:41:03

Oh yes. Knickers. And an underwired bra! (I don't currently own an underwired bra blush.

I was looking through my wardrobe earlier and found a dress that might do. Halter-neck, a-symetrical, a bit floaty.

Bag. I had completely forgotten about a bag.

TheProfiteroleThief Tue 02-Jun-09 20:02:35

dammit woman - get yourself a minimum of 3 good underwired bras in nude. This is Non-Negotiable

crankytwanky Wed 03-Jun-09 12:39:03

I have exactly this predicament, Huff!

Global hypercolour T-Shirts and baggy baggy jeans are still in, right? grin

I'm finding it hard to find a frock with sleeves.

Have an excellent time!

HuffwardlyRudge Wed 03-Jun-09 18:49:08

As long as you accessorise with one dayglo pink sock and one dayglo green sock you'll be fine Cranky grin.

Well I went to the mall today. I was completely overwhelmed by all the choice and came home with a jumpsuit for ds and a pretty stripey dress for dd hmm. I always do that.

Is a cotton dress okay? All the dresses I liked would be fine to wear to the swimming pool. I am not sure if that means they probably aren't up to a swanky night out.

I am hopeless.

Have got an hour or so tomorrow to have another go.

I have no idea what to do about my hair. I don't own a hairdryer or straighteners or any styling products.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now