Talk

Advanced search

would I look too mumsy (nothing wrong with mums - don't get me wrong - love 'em to bits)

(10 Posts)
peanutbrittle Mon 01-Jun-09 14:33:38

in this skirt and this top??

I tried them on at lunch time and did like them, quite a bit actually. The styles seemed to work well on my pear shaped figure and it felt a bit 1950s ish which I liked. Also I am a sucker for a nice bit of applique. BUT

a) the colour is totally outside my comfort zone, I normallly do blues, greens etc...so am not sure it suits me - am very bad at that sort of stuff

b) I wondered if they'd look like I tried too hard, too dressy or matchy-matchy (shivers) sort of...(I have no occasion to wear them, and just trying to update my everyday work/school/weekend in the park sort of wardrobe a bit as am sick of jeans and do like wearing skirts)

c) I have been known to buy things in monsoon/east etc and wear them once and they forever languish in my wardrobe in the "too mumsy" label...on the other hand one of my fav ever skirts comes from monsoon...hmm

d) I have no idea what footwear I would put with them...I am a birkies/converse sort of girl...the only heels I can do are wedges- so I could be in the market for a nice new pair of (comfy) flatties - any ideas?

[give you an idea of what I look like, size 10-12 on top, 12-14 below, 5'6, brownish hair in super short crop-pudding bowl cut, red highlights, pale but wearing a bit of johnsons at the mo - still pale actually!)

LaurieFairyCake Mon 01-Jun-09 14:36:24

Yes, I would wear that outfit but to stop it looking matchy I would wear it with pink birkies (the ones I have on my feet would look great, madrid ones, pink with red lips all over them grin)

and with cool chunky earrings/necklace. I would also have i even more casual and buy a couple of pink/black vest tops to go with the skirt - 3 days of wear then.

peanutbrittle Mon 01-Jun-09 17:25:55

thanks LFC smile - I LOVE the birki madrid style but unfortunately have an odd problem with hip since childbirth which means I can't wear them, they make my hip realy sore and leg start to drag sad I have to wear the toe post ones (gizeh) instead, they don't cause trouble

maybe I should look for a funky pair of those - I have the bronze and it feels a bit hippy-ish sometimes [fine when I am feeling hippyish too of course](MUCH prefer the styling of the madrid though, so cool)

any other flat shoe recommendations? can't be sliders (think that's what the madrid style is called) have to have toe post or something around the heel or my hip gets buggered (weird I know)

HuffwardlyRudge Mon 01-Jun-09 17:29:34

I think the skirt is great but the top with it looks a bit mumsy.

naomi83 Mon 01-Jun-09 18:56:55

I would wear the skirt with a black to or white tshirt and jacket for work with black sandals and the top with jeans for a night out. I would save wearing them together for a wedding or some type of event.

Overmydeadbody Mon 01-Jun-09 19:04:54

lol you're asking mumsnet if an outfit would look too mumsy? grin OH the irony

I love the skirt, the top is nice too but the skirt would go with lots of different tops, whites, blacks, even pinks and greens, no need to limit yourself.

Flat shoes will look fine with it, even converse would work for a more casual look for the park or something

Jewelsandgems Mon 01-Jun-09 21:10:24

Like the skirt, lots of options there. Top, not so sure. Looks a bit like that slinky fabric you get alot of on QVC (and in my case, that fabric - except the obvious horrendousness - is not a good look for me)

How about a little fitted blouse, either tucked in or belted over?

This is lovely, and colours would look great
www.tedbaker.com/shop.do?cID=704&pID=5650 plus you can wear it with jeans for sexy look

Or with smething like this
www.tedbaker.com/shop.do?cID=704&pID=6203

saadia Mon 01-Jun-09 21:19:45

I think the top looks a bit dated, also not keen on the colour of the skirt - slthough the skirt does not look mumsy - it might look nice with a simple t-shirt.

cocolepew Mon 01-Jun-09 21:40:52

The skirts is really lovely, not too keen on the top, I'd be more inclined to dress the skirt down a bit.

peanutbrittle Tue 02-Jun-09 09:33:20

aaah, you see I quite liked the top once I tried it on, the scoopy scoopy neckline seemed to do something to make my small norkage look a little more engaging, and drew a bit of attention away from my larger bottom half. Also, I like the column of colour thing, I think it's quite elongating, rather than two blocks of colour breaking me up in the middle, seems to make me look very broad that...but, the jury does seem to vote mumsy for the top so maybe am best leaving the lot alone...

hmmmm.........

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now