Talk

Advanced search

maternity jeans - what did you like

(16 Posts)
pushmepullme Mon 01-Jun-09 14:23:01

Please can you ladies share with me your experience of maternity jeans. I have been looking on e-bay but am absolutely baboozled by all the different makes and styles.

Any favourites?

Hopefully Mon 01-Jun-09 14:29:04

I have a definite non-favourite - I got the Isabella Oliver under the bump ones (just their ordinary boot leg ones, think they might have a couple of other types), and they were absolutely horrendous for falling down. I'm quite curvy (size 12 at the time), so I don't know if it's because they sat at pretty much my widest point, or if they're just a crap cut. Flattering, though, when I wasn't hoicking them up with one hand! The other IO stuff I had was lovely though.

Tulia Mon 01-Jun-09 14:29:12

i had two pairs from mothercare, they were under the bump ones, they had a stretchy waist all round the top (like jogging bottoms) and were so comfy and i wore them for a long time after the birth too.

i never really felt comfy with over the bump clothes but then some people love them, horses for courses really

pushmepullme Mon 01-Jun-09 14:33:10

forgive my ignorance but what is the difference between over the bum and under teh bump? I kind of get the concept but am not sure blush

Tulia Mon 01-Jun-09 14:36:32

well under the bump just sit under the bump like a normal pair of jogging bottoms would do.

over the bump have a special sort of panel (elasticated) that goes right over the bump sort of to under the bust.

hope that makes sense!

Tulia Mon 01-Jun-09 14:43:36

how many weeks gone are you? under the bump style will be better in early preg, over may be more comfy later on in pregnancy

Queenoftheharpies Mon 01-Jun-09 14:43:54

I have some H+M pale flared under-the-bump jeans that are comfy and I have had compliments about them.

My only complaints are that:

1)The regular length is really long. I have long legs but still had to get them shortened.
2)The stretchy bump-accomodating bit is NAVY BLUE. Which means that it shows through pale coloured vests and shirts.

LetThemEatCake Mon 01-Jun-09 14:44:25

I am 23 weeks and would be lost without my J Brand love story jeans

Buy on hautemama.co.uk

pricey but worth it. High rise at back so that under bump doesn't equal under-bum

This is my 3rd pg and first time that I have had decent jeans.

Topshop are ok but too low-rise
Blooming marvellous = effing hideous

HTH

KingRolo Mon 01-Jun-09 14:50:30

I loved the H&M over the bump straight leg jeans. Very flattering fit, didn't fall down, dead comfy towards the end when I was huge. True about the blue band but I wore darkish / patterned tops so not a problem really.

I'd say you're best going and trying some on, you could potentially waste a lot of money buying on ebay if you're not sure what suits you.

lynniep Mon 01-Jun-09 14:54:28

I'm an under-bump fan. In my first pregancy I had some topshop boot cut ones which I loved. I'm too fat to get into them this time round, and got a similar pair from dotty p's.
Actually I find even though they have adjustable elastic sides I have to wear a belt to keep them up, but I really hate over the bump ones. Feels really itchy on my belly.

I also find that pregancy jeans tend to be cut larger all over, so whilst I am probably too fat to get into DP size 14 regular jeans, maternity jeans in a 14 are no problem. Ditto - I tried on a pair of peacocks maternity jeans in a 14 and they are enormous.

Bettymum Mon 01-Jun-09 15:15:04

Be careful with New Look jeans, I had two pairs that kept falling down even at 9 months pg hmm. I had a great pair of over the bump ones from Vertbaudet, lovely shape and colour. You can't really tell what will suit till you get there.

Eve4Walle Mon 01-Jun-09 15:17:32

I has 2 pairs from Blooming Marvellous (still trading in Winchester).

They both had the strechy panel at the top and were the most comfortable IMO. Staff help with the fitting to make sure you get the best use out of them.

I also had a pair of denim shorts from Pumpkin Patch. They didn't have a panel, just some elastic to let them in and out, and they were very good too.

southerngal Mon 01-Jun-09 21:58:29

M & S pregnancy jeans were fab - I got a pair last year which where almost skinny cut and for early pregnancy - as in - not over or under the bump but just with stretchy panel at either side.

No-one noticed they were pregnancy wear, so they were great for the first 3 months at work - and I even got a lot of compliments on my new jeans.

The side panels were surprisingly stretchy and did me till about 7 months gone.

Cheap and easy to wash too.

monkeysmama Tue 02-Jun-09 09:29:02

I spent loads on different jeans when I was pregnant but had 2 favourite pairs. A dark skinny pair from TopShop which were brilliant until c.7 months. They don't have the material thing at the top just a stretchy band in the sides of the jeans. I wore them for 6 months after dd was born too with a belt to cover the stretchy bit.

The others I loved were from Mothercare (worth going in and trying them on) with a big band to cover my bump. In the last 2 or 3 months they were all I felt comfortable in.

I usually wear designer jeans but wouldn't hesitate to reccomend these. I'd say under the bump until about 7 months then over the bump!

pushmepullme Tue 02-Jun-09 11:20:09

Thanks all. I don't spend much on jeans to be honest and the ones I really love tend to be cheapies from Peacocks and Primark. If I find a pair I like I wear them to deat. Just feel like I will need to invest in at least one pair for later pregnancy so don't want to get it wrong.

Am confused in general about maternity stuff and don't want to go about looking like a sack of potatoes but neither do I want to spend loads of money on something I might not wear again after the baby is born.

Tulia I am only 8 weeks at the moment so just getting prepared.

BikeRunSki Tue 02-Jun-09 13:17:37

I had some Next under bumps ones and some Seraphine under bum cords. I loved the Seraphine ones especially. They were like normal trousers except the front bit of the waistband was a narrow (about 3" wide) stretchy band.

I also had soem H&M overbump linen trousers. The over bump bit was very big and I found it very hot, so I preferred under bump styles. A good selection at Gap too (they also have a sale rail most of the time).

Peacocks do maternity clothes!

The downside of under bump styles is that underbump = on the scar if you have a c section. You will be wearing your mat clothes for a few weeks after DC is born!

Noe it is summer, get yourself some boob tubes from Primark. I had 5 in different colours, £1 each, and wore tham as Bump Bands. They covered the gap between T shirt and trouser very well.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now