Talk

Advanced search

'Baggy' perm?

(16 Posts)
springlamb Mon 01-Jun-09 14:11:33

I have a hankering (which may disappear overnight) to have my just below the shoulder hair permed. It has a few long layers and has a bit of natural wave. However, when I last had a perm (I believe when Thatch was in No 10), it was awful, really tight curls that just came out straight from my head.
Has technology moved on to give a perm that looks old and a bit dropped as soon as its done? Will all my hair fall out? What shall I ask for - the phrase demi-wave keeps popping into mind, but is that what I'm after?
TIA hair afficionados!

SheSellsSeashellsByTheSeashore Mon 01-Jun-09 14:13:23

Perms have moved on loads now. They are much less damaging and yes, you can get loose natural looking curls from them.

stillenacht Mon 01-Jun-09 14:13:38

I had a perm last year for the first time in 17 years - i loved it but it fell out quite soon.sad May do it again - i too have wavy hair smile

stillenacht Mon 01-Jun-09 14:14:12

btw i didn't mean my hair fell out soon - i meant the perm.

springlamb Mon 01-Jun-09 19:20:44

Thank you very much.
I mentioned the possibility of having a perm to a friend, she gave me a very strange look. However, I shall pop into the hairdressers for a chat. They will think I've had a personality transplant as six weeks ago I told them to cut it all choppy as I would never give up my straighteners.

lou33 Mon 01-Jun-09 19:24:36

perms have moved on in leaps and bounds, i have had one for about 3 or 4 yrs now, but am currently growing it out

noone has ever thought it permed though

springlamb Mon 01-Jun-09 19:34:52

Yes lou that's the kind of look I want. Well, I want it to look like an 'old' perm. I do not want to look like my mother c.1975 (god, the rollers were so tight I can remember her scalp turning white, and all that foamy stuff everywhere).

lou33 Mon 01-Jun-09 19:36:09

you can definitely get that nowadays

Daisydaydream Tue 02-Jun-09 20:44:13

This is interesting, I was thinking about getting a perm too, but it conjures up all sorts of horrible images of 80's wet look gel type do's! I want curly hair that looks natural, not frizzy and I can just wash and leave (maybe just some serum) and it will look nice. Am I asking the impossible?

Katisha Tue 02-Jun-09 20:59:07

My hairdresser is on about something called a permanent blow dry, which is hugely expensive but I am almost tempted. Basically it's some sort of non-chemical (he says) perm so goodness knows how it works, but the idea would be that it would mean my hair would just fall into style and not go all frizzy and wavy in stupid places. Lasts 3 months.

Hmmm.

Anyone heard of this?

MamaHobgoblin Tue 02-Jun-09 21:54:11

This sounds like what I want (when I can claw together some money)! I used to have tight corkscrew perms - I think it looked ok because my hair was very long and it relaxed pretty fast, but I know it wasn't very good for the hair. I'd love natural waves and gentle curls. Does anyone have any links to photos of what this actually looks like these days?

Katisha Tue 02-Jun-09 23:07:53

Permanent Blow Dry I have to say my hairdresser was quoting £150 not £200 but even so, that's above my idea of acceptable amounts of money for haircare!

If you google permanent blow dry there are other articles.

lou33 Sun 07-Jun-09 16:51:34

i have just uploaded a pic to my profile taken today, so you can see my perm, if you are interested

burningupinspeed Sun 07-Jun-09 16:57:30

CountessDracula had the permanent blowdry and posted about it here

BeehiveBaby Sun 07-Jun-09 17:09:18

Lou, you are gorgeous and have a very pretty, very blonde family. My sister has your hair (as a result of a perm) in the pic nearest the bottom and loves it, very easy to do. SHe used to make it look the same before with a special way of using GHD straighteners though.

lou33 Sun 07-Jun-09 17:13:53

yeh you can use ghds to curl hair too, like you would curl a ribbon with scissors

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now