Talk

Advanced search

I need a new wardrobe and suggestions

(8 Posts)
pramspotter Fri 29-May-09 08:20:08

I just don't know where to shop. I used to like dorothy perkins etc but lately the stuff they have seems like it wouldn't suit me.

I haven't bought clothes in a long time. I am 30 years old and about 5'3. I am very pear shaped. I used to be about a 16-18 but after months of intense exercise and healthy eating I have lost tons of weight. I really need some new clothes but have been looking everywhere and cannot find anything decent. My jeans are all hanging off of me.

I think I have a really bad body shape and no matter what I wear I look frumpy. I lost all this weight yet I still have chubby legs and wide hips. My arms and stomach are toned now. I am now a size 8-10 on top and a 10-12 on the bottom. I hate these fat dumpy legs of mine. Thank god I haven't developed cankles yet.

I think I have the worst body shape in the world. Everything seems to be made for woman who are taller and slimmer with nice legs.

Any suggestions? I am sick of teeshirts and baggy jeans. I haven't bought any clothes in awhile so money is no object (within reason). I just need things that are comfy but nice. I do have to chase after little ones and do the school run twice a day.

19fran76 Fri 29-May-09 22:19:45

You don't have a bad body shape. It sounds just like mine, only difference being I'm 5'6 & I'm my tummy is not as toned as it was pre-baby. Sure, I will always envy slender elegant legs, mine are naturally 'heavy' & muscular but they are a good defined shape. I think you can wear loads of different stuff. Accentuate the positive e.g. your top half, your small waist. Bet other MNers will give you loads of good advice & you have money to spend. Hurrah smile

macherie Fri 29-May-09 22:22:08

You must be really proud of yourself for losing so much weight, so you are right you deserve a new wardrobe to celebrate. You have a figure that lots of women you kill for, so skim over what you don't like, an accentuate your assets.

I am exactly the same size as you - 8/10 on top, 10/12 on bottom. The part of my body I like least is my thighs, so we must have been parted at birth.

I bought 2 pairs of jeans recently which gave me a total ego boost, both from Topshop - baxter skinny jeans, size 12 PLEASE go and try some on, thay look amazing on and I would never have thought they would. I wear them with tunic tops to hide the thighs. I also got a pair of boyfriend jeans, size 10, totally camoflage the thighs, wear these with layered t-shirts and cardigans.

Another brilliant purchase was a leather jacket, got it from Comptoir des Cottoniers, it's a fitted biker style, looks great with the layered look, and with dresses....

Dresses, I love them, they love me, completely solve the thigh problem, I particularly love A-line ones often use a belt to accentuate small waist.

A-line skirts are great too, skim over thighs. Wear them a lot in winter with boots.

Toned arms are fab - lucky you envy You can wear vests and slim fitting t shirts, no more baggy ones. How abot an a-line skirt, camisole, pretty cardigan/ denim jacket for taking dc to the park, etc.

Let me know what colours and styles (chic/boho/casual etc) you like and I'll have a look for some links tomorrow.

smile

19fran76 Fri 29-May-09 22:34:21

Y'see you'll be fine macherie sounds like just the tonic/source of good advice you need grin You're gonna look fabulous!

traceybath Sat 30-May-09 08:04:35

Pramspotter - i'd recommend you went and saw a personal shopper. All the dept stores do them from Harvey Nicks to Debenhams/John Lewis.

You have a chat discuss your requirements and budget and they give you lots of options/suggestions to try on.

Just good to have a fresh pair of eyes when you've lost so much weight.

Well done on your weight loss! And am very envious of toned arms.

MrsMattie Sat 30-May-09 08:16:59

Well done for losing all that weight. V jealous!

As it's summer, I'd go for dresses that accentuate your waist worn with wedge heel sandals. If you're small and pear shaped, that style could work really well (trust me, I am 5'11 and long legged and just look like a comedy tranny if I wear heels and summer dresses!).

I think you need to give yourself a couple of shopping trips just for looking around, trying things on and failing to buy anything grin. I always need to do that before I find anything I like.

PutDown Sat 30-May-09 10:38:27

Am same height as you but size 12,36DD,could do with losing flabby tummy and love handles...
I wear in summer
Wide floppy linen trousers with fitted vest/cardigan and wedges
Aline skirts with vest and shrug
Pretty dresses with ballet flats or wedges
Tunics over slim jeans or cream linen trousers.
Chunky jewellery.
I like White Stuff,Fat Face,some Boden,Autograph,Some Monsoon,Great Plains,Kew,Noa Noa.New Look good for shoes,little knits.
HTH!

pramspotter Sun 31-May-09 08:59:19

Thanks. I may think about the personal shopper thing. Sounds like a fab idea. My mum and sisters are over 3000 miles away and I hate shopping on my own!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now