Talk

Advanced search

Has anyone used Estee Lauder Double Wear Foundation then switched to a cheaper one that has been just as good?

(17 Posts)
Notalone Wed 27-May-09 11:17:56

My student budget is sadly not going to be able to afford my beloved Estee Lauder foundation for much longer, and someone on here a while ago recommended Boots No 7 saying it was just as good. Has anyone used Boots no 7 after using more expensive brands and found it the same? If not can anyone recommend one that gives as good a coverage as Estee Lauder? My skin is not great at all and needs really good coverage.

Thanks!

miche8 Wed 27-May-09 13:22:22

I use the estee lauder double wear light and bought the NO7 stay perfect and its nothing like the estee lauder one, my skin felt tacky/sticky and it didn't give good coverage, after a couple of hours it was all patchy. They had a fairly good range of colours though as i'm quite pale. I now use this on sundays when i need to nip to the shop to get the papers and them come home and take it off. Can't face the public without my face. I recently got a sample of cliniques superfit and i'm pleased with it, would buy it, will have to compare prices to estee lauder.

Notalone Wed 27-May-09 13:46:08

Thanks Miche - like you I am also really pale and find that I can't use all foundations because some don't do shades light enough. I am currently using "shell" which is paler than pale. I think Clinique is roughly the same give or take a couple of pounds. I used it about 8 years ago and it didn't cover my skin enough sadly. Have you ever used Bourjois? Apparently it is a diffusion range from Chanel. I am wondering if their foundation is any good as I think I will be giving no 7 a miss now

nappyaddict Tue 09-Jun-09 02:05:24

I want to try this but haven't a clue what shade to get!!

barbie1 Tue 09-Jun-09 05:39:30

I have worked for estee for many years, double wear is the best selling foundation in the world, with one being sold every seconds! Most people try a cheaper brand but always end up coming back, in the long run it works out cheaper due to the fact you dont use half as much as the cheaper brands. However if you are really struggling you can do one of two things...try maybelline. They tend to do thicker makeup that will still give the coverage....or mix your remaining double wear with a cheaper brand to thicken it up. Then beg your friends and family to treat you on your birthday!

tip......you can always go and ask for a five day sample free of charge at any counter.

nappyaddict go to any counter and asked to be colour matched, it takes a few minutes and you get a free sample too smile

nappyaddict Tue 09-Jun-09 10:22:20

i want to buy it online that's why i'm not sure what colour to get. don't have time to go to a counter.

brokenspacebar Tue 09-Jun-09 17:06:25

I have tried bourjois and didn't like it, okay for an emergency, but not great.

I have used clinique, or did, for years, but I just find it is a bit drying for me.... I don't love it,iyswim.

I have used lancome recently, which I like...but it is v expensive imho.

I have also tried benefit, but not very keen on it.

My skin is pale too - watching with interest, I need a new foundation - how pricey is Estee Lauder?

AuntieMaggie Tue 09-Jun-09 18:22:14

My double wear light was about 20 quid but don't need to use much as the coverage is so good and lasts, esp if you top it off with loose powder.

brokenspacebar Wed 10-Jun-09 21:38:44

I have just bought this notalone, I got it tonight when I was at the hairdresser's, £16... I will let you know what I think.

frAKKINPannikin Thu 11-Jun-09 09:23:25

I mix mine with their Spotlight skin tone perfector - makes it go twice as far. Trying their vita-mineral make-up at the moment though as they don't stock my shade in France (gulp!)

nappyaddict Thu 11-Jun-09 14:45:26

What's the nvey like one? £16 is a good price!

AbricotsSecs Thu 11-Jun-09 20:44:47

Message withdrawn

AbricotsSecs Thu 11-Jun-09 20:46:39

Message withdrawn

AbricotsSecs Thu 11-Jun-09 20:47:57

Message withdrawn

brokenspacebar Thu 11-Jun-09 21:04:45

nappy, I only tried it for the first time today and I am not sure, I was advised to use a damp applicator sponge to apply, for smoother coverage and to make it go further* notalone that might be worth considering if you stick to your double wear - to make it last longer, but maybe you are doing that already?

I also quite fancy trying dr hauschka, but not sure how expensive it is..

the nvey 510 is incredibly pale btw - so ideal for those of us with celtic paleness! it smells flowery(maybe too flowery?)... and I will need to buy applicator sponges, but applying very carefully just now it is okay.... but not absolutely fabulous.

nappyaddict Fri 12-Jun-09 00:52:43

oh perhaps 510 will be too pale for me then.

brokenspacebar Fri 12-Jun-09 16:05:49

I think nappy, that there are at least four shades?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now