Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

wedding guest outfit

(24 Posts)
compo Fri 29-Apr-05 15:32:52

Just starting to look around for an outfit to wear for a wedding in August. The entire wedding is at a very posh hotel in Yorkshire and my wardrobe is a mess. What do you guys usually wear at weddings? Are trousers a no go area? Is it ok to wear black these days ie black skirt, pink top?

psychomum5 Fri 29-Apr-05 15:37:40

Well.......I am off to a wedding very soon and am currently flitting between getting the white trouser suit and a pretty blue dress, both from Next.

I think trousers are fine in all honesty....i mean, lets face it, some women are just not suited to dresses. Or there are those who, like me, don't always feel comfortable in them. Now wondering why I am looking at the dress actually......I am not gonna feel 'right' in it anyhow. Guess it'll be the trouser suit.

Listening to me rambling...tis you wanting advice, not me...sorry

psychomum5 Fri 29-Apr-05 15:38:15

Oooh, and a posh hotel screams HAT to me.....I lurve hats....

Freckle Fri 29-Apr-05 15:39:08

I'm going to a wedding in just over a week's time. It is in two parts, i.e. wedding and wedding breakfast in afternoon followed by an evening reception. I have insisted to dh that I have to have two separate outfits. I mean, it's de rigueur, n'est-ce pas?? For the main wedding, I have a crepe trouser suit, where the top has a faux jacket, IYSWIM. Navy suit with cream insert in jacket. For the evening, DS2 (aged 9) chose a rather lovely skirt and top from Monsoon (the trouser suit I already had but have only recently lost sufficient weight to get into it, so I haven't gone mad buying two expensive outfits).

I don't think trousers are unacceptable at a wedding, but I suppose it depends on what type they are, e.g. I don't think anything in denim would be terribly sensible.

Miaou Fri 29-Apr-05 15:39:55

I don't think trousers are a no-go, as long as they are tailored/smart. I would prob. only wear them as part of a suit, though.

I'm not known for being the most stylish of people so maybe take my ideas with a pinch of salt - but I would have thought that as long as you look smart and that you are fairly "co-ordinated" then you can wear whatever you want. You certainly don't need a hat in this day and age!

Can't comment on the black issue - I hate black and never wear it, so don't have anything constructive to say - maybe someone else will!

compo Fri 29-Apr-05 15:40:10

Is the white suit this one? It looks really nice but as I'll be taking 17 month ds I think it would be a disaster waiting to happen - lol. I'm the same, dresses make me look huge in the hip area

Freckle Fri 29-Apr-05 15:40:40

I should elaborate that DS2 chose the top and skirt for me not for himself . He's not going and nor are the other two. Just me and dh. Bliss.

compo Fri 29-Apr-05 15:41:40

Thnaks Miaou and Freckle. I think I'd look silly in a hat but it is tempting as my hair never goes right iyswim!!! Monsoon is a good idea, haven't looked there yet

compo Fri 29-Apr-05 15:43:29

definitely not getting changed for evening do so I suppose a suit like the white one in Next (but not white!!) with evening type top underneath would be good. Then I can just whip off the jacket and look instantly stunning.... I wish

psychomum5 Fri 29-Apr-05 15:45:03

YES.......that be the one!!!

And the dress I was looking at is in that blue colour too...altho have just scrolled and not yet found it to explain.

I too am wondering about how sensible it is with the fact that I have the five kiddies to sort, and my best friends little lady too (tis she who is getting married).

compo Fri 29-Apr-05 15:45:35

does it come in any other colours?

compo Fri 29-Apr-05 15:46:49

I think white isn't meant to be good for slimming and I need all the help I can get. I saw loads of pretty pink skirts but they looked silly on me when I tried them on

psychomum5 Fri 29-Apr-05 15:48:16

Miaou.....you may not need a hat, but tis a great excuse for one, especially when you are like me and love them. Great for hiding hair disasters, which always seem to heppen to me at weddings. Never anywhen else tho....hmmm....conspiracy me thinks!!!!!

FLUM Fri 29-Apr-05 15:48:16

Black is fine.

No need for hat if not a church wedding.

what time of day is wedding?

could go for a cocktail dress if in the evening.

I usually wear a suit in day and dress if in the evening

compo Fri 29-Apr-05 15:49:27

hi Flum. It's at 1pm. But Psycho what do you do when you have to take hat off and hair is all squished?!!

tarantula Fri 29-Apr-05 15:50:35

wore black to my brothers wedding and mammy didnt complain so guess it must be ok. Im sure shed have said if it wasnt Cant be much help apart form that as hate shopping and clothes

psychomum5 Fri 29-Apr-05 15:50:59

That suit does come in black....I have one!! I have worn it a few times already and it fits wonderfully. With a dressy top it will do for the evening too, like you say.

I am wanting the white one tho because my kiddies are part of the wedding party, as is my husband, and I want something new too!

psychomum5 Fri 29-Apr-05 15:53:30

Not thought about the squshed hair problem.

Mind you, I wore one to my brothers wedding and by the time I took it off I was slighty tiddly (hell, lets be honest, I was roaring drunk, in the nicest possible way), and was past caring anyway!!!!

FLUM Fri 29-Apr-05 15:53:40

In that case I would say smart suit. or pretty daydress.

no need for coat as all in hotel.

if you don't like a hat no need, unlikely to be many in hats i would think if it is a civil wedding.

Flowers in hair can be a nice touch and then bride can see what an effor tyou;ve made

compo Fri 29-Apr-05 15:58:53

right smart suit sounds a good pla. anywhere other than Next do nice ones, not too expensive? Designers at Debenhams?

psychomum5 Fri 29-Apr-05 16:00:26

Ah, now you got me. I only get mine from Next as I know their sizes fit me well. Get all hot n bothered shopping for suits other places.

FLUM Fri 29-Apr-05 16:04:54

actually M&S do good suits. they are machine washable too. around same price as Next. they last really well

compo Fri 29-Apr-05 16:05:49

thanks Flum, will have a look.

FLUM Fri 29-Apr-05 16:06:00

also Mango / Zara if there is one near you. You would need the trousers taken up though - guaranteed unless you are more than 5ft 10 tall

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now