Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

What is the oldest item of clothing you possess? Why do you keep it? Does it fit?

(71 Posts)
notyummy Tue 17-Mar-09 14:38:47

Just interested!

I'll start....I have a pair of black jeans bought in 1993. I haven't worn them in YEARS but I try them one once a month just to make sure they still fit, and then feeling smug, consign them to the back of a drawer.Or feeling plump, I stop eating as many pies until I fit into them again grin

DH thinks I am barking....

Oh...and interestingly. They are a size 12, and the size 12 jeans I have tried on over the past 6/7 years are considerably larger than the old ones. Sizes are definitely changing.....

Cicatrice Tue 17-Mar-09 14:41:46

I have shoes from 1985 (and they weren't new then - had been bought by my aunt in 1963 and never worn. They fit me before the baby but far too high and I can't walk in them.

I will throw them away. Generally I'm quite ruthless.

EdwardBear Tue 17-Mar-09 14:42:44

That is a bit barking grin

My oldest is my Se7en jeans. I bought them in NY in 2002.
They were baggy at the time, which I liked. Then they were the only things that fitted me up to being 5 months pg with DS1.
They were then my 'tight' jeans after Ds1 and I was a bit bigger.
Now after DS2 they fit me perfectly and I still love them! I have worn them pretty much all the time (at least once a week) since 2002 except for the times I was heavily pregnant.

Although they are getting thin at the knees now so soon will be no longer I fear.

CarGirl Tue 17-Mar-09 14:42:58

I have a top that used to be my Mum's she was born in 1944 so think it muct be early 60's and most summers it still gets worn.

angelene Tue 17-Mar-09 14:43:37

I have a whole load of relics of my old clubbing days, as I just can't bear to lose them. I also have the dress I pulled DH in, these will all go back to 94/95/96. Would never wear them, I pull them out and reminisce occasionally though.

In terms of what I actally wear, I have a grey Boxfresh t-shirt which is ten years old this year, it says Boxfresh 99 on it and I do wear it pretty regularly, it's very comfortable and cool.

My theory is that it's now vintage...

MrsMattie Tue 17-Mar-09 14:44:48

Oldest thing I own is a 10 yr old tan leather bomber jacket (very 'old school hiphopper') that I love. Admittedly, it's getting a wee bit small, but it is a great jacket for a casual night out.

squeaver Tue 17-Mar-09 14:46:11

I have the dress that I wore when I first went on a date with dh so it must be 18 years old.

I also have an old denim jacket that reminds me of someone who's no longer around.

Never wear either of them.

MmeLindt Tue 17-Mar-09 14:46:53

I have a River Island dress that I bought just before moving to Germany 17 years ago. It was the dress I was wearing on the evening that DH first stayed the night.

I have absolutely no chance of fitting into it again (would have to lose 17kg!) as I was very skinny at the time. But I cannot bear to throw it out.

frumpygrumpy Tue 17-Mar-09 14:48:48

I have a red dotty 1950s style blouse with a nipped in waist and a sweetheart neckline that must be 22/23years old. I love it. Felt amazing in it. I can't bear to part with it because it marked my changeover from child to adult. My children have it in their dressing up box.

fircone Tue 17-Mar-09 14:49:21

I was thinking about this yesterday as I washed my Principles denim jacket (gone bust). I have a Richard Shops raincoat (long gone bust) and a pair of C&A evening shoes (very long gone bust).

pagwatch Tue 17-Mar-09 14:51:18

I have a velvet evening coat that my mum got from Harrods in the 50's/60's which I wear when I go somewhere posh. Its beautiful.

I also have a dress that I wore to the opening of the new lloyds building in the 80s. It is from Annouki in Covent Garden. It is too big for me but beautiful with slash neck and big puff sleeves. I am thinking of selling it but haven't had the heart

MargaretMountford Tue 17-Mar-09 14:52:13

the vintage dress I bought in the Kings Road when I graduated from art school (1981) - it's black crepe,50s - very lovely - wore it to my private view...have lost the little belt it had. It still fits too,perhaps a slightly tighter fit around the waist but I could wear it again.

RubyrubyrubyHareb Tue 17-Mar-09 14:52:37

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Lio Tue 17-Mar-09 14:56:50

These are nice stories. Mine is that I have a rugby jumper that Califrau gave me when we were about 17 (20 or so years ago) after she had her colours done and couldn't wear navy blue any more. I still wear it around once a month.

AuldAlliance Tue 17-Mar-09 14:59:32

I have a jumper that my Dad bought with his first ever pay packet (c.1959, I think).
I wore it loads when I was a teenager and the baggy jumper look was in.
It has one small darn in an elbow, but other than that is in great nick. I have worn it occasionally over the last 10 years.

georgimama Tue 17-Mar-09 14:59:39

My wedding dress. It's eight years old.

I have no idea whether it fits or not, I haven't tried it on since my wedding day. Perhaps we should all try on our wedding dresses and report back?

Am scared now.

Niecie Tue 17-Mar-09 15:01:48

I have a white shirt that I had in university which has to be more than 20 yrs ago since I graduated in 1989.

It is a size 14 and it still fits even though I am an 18 now. I have just started to wear it again after a break of about 10 yrs!

I also have a few t-shirts lurking in my drawer which I haven't worn for a very long time which I suspect were from university days too but I am not sure.

I also have a v-neck jumper I knitted before I went to university so very very old. I haven't worn it for a very long time but I won't throw it out as I made it!

fruitbeard Tue 17-Mar-09 15:02:38

I have a lilac wool top that my mum used to wear in the 1960's - the label says "Milady-Anne - the loveliest knitwear" ! Still going strong.

The oldest thing I have that I bought for myself is my first ever designer buy - a Sue Clowes racing back vest top that has purple roses down each side and a madonna/child print on the front of it. Still fits me. I bought it from a shop called X-Stremes in Liverpool in 1982 and used to wear it over a black t-shirt with a Boy George-style hat, black leggings and dm boots... OMG.... still wear it in the summer (the vest top that is, not the rest of the outfit!)

Alibabaandthe40nappies Tue 17-Mar-09 15:03:58

I have a rugby shirt which was from the '99 world cup that I still wear - it is significantly tighter that it was!! I've also got a linen/silk mix cardie that I bought from Miss Selfridge when it did nice clothes when I was 15. It is still my summer evening staple.

notyummy Tue 17-Mar-09 15:06:23

See a fair amount of these are retained because of either sentiment or because they are 'vintage'.

Mine is just because of some bizarre need to prove I am roughly the same bodyshape as I was 16 years ago.

Perhaps I AM vain after all.....

Bettymum Tue 17-Mar-09 16:31:09

Beautiful 1940's black suede court shoes from a vintage shop in Dorking, they are the comfiest shoes I have ever worn.
Gold strappy wedge heels that were my mum's in the 70's, they are the best party shoes.
And a Helly Hansen thermal vest I've had since I was 20. Still keeping me as warm as it did 17 years ago grin

pagwatch Tue 17-Mar-09 16:43:23

I have promised DD that I will keep some of my nicest stuff for when she is my age ( well younger grin. My mum had some fantsatic stuff - she used to do brilliant charity shop and jumble sale shopping back in the 70's before it was cool but she threw most of it away shock . I found an Ozzie Clark dress just after my dad dies and ebayed it for her.
I have a few nice things I will keep for her.

BikeRunSki Tue 17-Mar-09 20:37:16

I have an Arran jumper my granny knitted me for my 13th birthday in 1983, and I am now 38. I don't wear it often, but it still fits. Granny died in 1990. For everyday things - I run a couple of times a week in a Patagonia vest I bought in about 1994 and for "real" clothes, a pair of Peter Golding jeans that make me feel tall and skinny, even though I am not, and never will be. And some ancient Converse.

lou33 Tue 17-Mar-09 20:39:02

a white cotton sleeveless top that belonged to my mum from the late 60's/early 70's

i keep it as a memory of her

beanieb Tue 17-Mar-09 20:40:26

I have a farmer's smock which was my dad's and his 'I like the pope because the pope smokes dope' T-shirt grin

Oldest clothing I have is probably stuff from my goth days, and no they don't fit!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: