Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

Has anyone had summer skirts altered? Did it work?

(5 Posts)
Sarimillie Mon 02-Mar-09 13:58:05

I have a couple of pretty unlined summer skirts which just feel too A-line; I like that shape, but want them to be a bit less sticky-outy. Can get them done at the drycleaner, apparently, for about £12. Has anyone had this done/done ti themselves, and was it successful?

RinkyDinkyPinky Mon 02-Mar-09 14:31:01

My local dry-cleaner has a lady who's a whiz at altering. I've had skirts taken in/ taken up/ zips replaced. I have to either pin them myself or leave precise instructions as she doesn't work at the shop. All good so far. I guess it depends on who is actually doing the alteration.

bishboschone Mon 02-Mar-09 16:37:46

I am a dry cleaner and we have a fantastic tailor but we tend to stay away from these type of alterations as sometimes instructions can be lost in translation. Our tailor doesnt work FOR us either he just comes , collects and brings back . I believe you would be better off to look through your local mags etc and find a tailor that you can go to see and get it pinned on you exactly what you want.
We would only take in a skirt to be altered that had been pinned exactly how it was wanted. This is often difficult to do on yourself though!! HTH

Sarimillie Mon 02-Mar-09 22:22:03

Thank you, both! This is great - I now know that it can be done well, but that there are pitfalls...will find someone who can pin them on me. And maybe try one at a time, just in case smile

bishboschone Tue 03-Mar-09 17:23:12

yes...def try one at a time ..goood luck!!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: