Talk

Advanced search

Can someone help me find a nice new watch please.

(23 Posts)
HeadFairy Fri 27-Feb-09 17:39:50

The battery on my pink baby g has died and I think it's probably time to get something a little more sophisticated. I want a waterproof watch that I can see in the dark (don't care if it's a glowy one or a light up one), not too keen on metal bracelets that pinch the hairs on my arm, so vinyl/rubber/plastic strap is ok. I think fabric or leather won't work on a waterproof watch. I've looked around but I'm failing miserably. I only want to spend about £50. Any ideas?

WaitingForVino Fri 27-Feb-09 17:52:20

Hmm. Sophisticated and plastic. Big ask.

You may have luck at a big Swatch shop though, they have many designs these days. Unfortunately I don't have such a shop close to home but if you fancy a short break to Vienna, there's a 2 storey one in the city centre as well as a ginormous H&M with lovely things in it. hmm

HeadFairy Fri 27-Feb-09 17:57:30

I know I'm asking a lot! Hmmmm Vienna, I'd love to go, dh and I went for a long weekend pre ds and it's fab.

I've had a browse of the swatches available online and perhaps there's too much choice but I'm slightly dazzled by how many there are to choose from. Perhaps I should just get another baby g but in black

I don't mind anything sporty looking, it doesn't have to be a rolex type thingy (and for £50 it won't be!)

WaitingForVino Fri 27-Feb-09 18:00:04

hang on I'll have a look at swatch and see if I can pick something - just to help you see -

WaitingForVino Fri 27-Feb-09 18:05:37

any clues as to your style? Here are some which might be 'sophisticated' and 'plastic'?

silver

pure white

square white

HeadFairy Fri 27-Feb-09 18:20:33

hmmm I shouldn't have started looking at those watches, I want about 8!!! I quite like this one if that helps with style. I know it's got a metal bracelet, I'm probably going to have to accept that. Perhaps I can wax my wrists

WaitingForVino Fri 27-Feb-09 18:46:46

Ooh I like that one!

I was about to ebay my watch as I don't wear it anymore, maybe you'd like it?

(it's worth waxing wrists for )

tag heuer

HeadFairy Fri 27-Feb-09 18:54:22

oooo that's lovely. what were you hoping to get for it?

WaitingForVino Fri 27-Feb-09 18:56:55

<grimace> more than £50 must admit - paid almost £3k for it 4 years ago.

can't imagine i'd get more than a couple hundred quid for it now though if I took it to a pawnbroker or similar.

HeadFairy Fri 27-Feb-09 19:02:21

oops! out of my budget I'm afraid. It's lovely though, good luck with selling it. I only need a cheapie to last a couple of years, dh has promised me a rolex for my 40th in a couple of years time. Perhaps I'll have a look at getting one of those.

WaitingForVino Fri 27-Feb-09 19:03:14

if you do go for a Rolex get it at duty free - bargain of the century!

good luck with your hunt

HeadFairy Fri 27-Feb-09 19:06:24

Well my mum travels loads so dh might get her to get it, or as dh is from Jersey he could make a little trip over to get one.

WaitingForVino Fri 27-Feb-09 19:39:46

got DH one for our engagement gift - felt guilty I got a ring and he got naught but a bad cold that day. That was back when I (sort of) had spare cash...hmm. Duty free definitely saves you though, and tis still legit merchandise.

HeadFairy Fri 27-Feb-09 19:41:24

You know that's exactly what I was going to do for dh, I felt guilty he'd bought me an engagement ring, so I promised him a Tag Monaco. I think I may have to reciprocate the 40th birthday present to him, our birthdays are a week apart so it'll be a really big surprise for him

WaitingForVino Fri 27-Feb-09 19:44:46

great minds think alike

bluebump Fri 27-Feb-09 19:48:36

WaitingForVino i've got that watch but without the diamonds! Can't believe you want just a couple of hundred for it!

WaitingForVino Fri 27-Feb-09 20:11:05

oops. posted the link too quickly blush mine hasn't got diamonds either - now that I look at the photo more closely I see the difference.

do you like yours? is it automatic too?

bluebump Fri 27-Feb-09 20:23:29

This is mine. I LOVE it. It was a present and I was very cautious about wearing it to start with but wouldn't be without it now.

Not quite sure what automatic means blush

WaitingForVino Fri 27-Feb-09 21:59:32

Bluebump, that is mine exactly!

Automatic refers to the type of movement. It means it winds itself automatically when you wear it, because there's a magical device which senses movement and somehow through a physical property I don't understand due to a hotchpotch of schooling involving 'kinetics' it never needs winding or a battery.

Except mine. Which is automatic but I find I need to shake my wrist when wearing it in order to keep it fully wound and on-time.

assuming this will be a thread killer

bluebump Sat 28-Feb-09 10:55:15

Oh no, i'll kill the thread instead smile...

Mine isn't automatic then, it needed a new battery a while ago which cost me around 50 quid (ouch!), but it was quite clever and it skips 2 seconds at a time to warn you that you need one.

HeadFairy Tue 03-Mar-09 16:24:29

Don't worry, I'll finish this thread off. Finally found one it's not as pink as it looks in the picture but still rather nice, and just a tad over my budget. Not plastic though, but luckily the bracelet strap doesn't pinch off all my hairs...

WaitingForVino Tue 03-Mar-09 19:09:45

HF that's a great find.

HeadFairy Tue 03-Mar-09 19:11:49

Thanks... only prob (God I'm so blonde) I've just realised it doesn't glow in the dark and I specifically wanted a watch I can read at night. Last week I got up and started getting dressed when ds started grumbling.... It was 2.15am!!!!! But now I love my new watch so I'll just have to get a bedside clock too (grrr)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now