Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

Can someone help me find a nice new watch please.

(23 Posts)
HeadFairy Fri 27-Feb-09 17:39:50

The battery on my pink baby g has died and I think it's probably time to get something a little more sophisticated. I want a waterproof watch that I can see in the dark (don't care if it's a glowy one or a light up one), not too keen on metal bracelets that pinch the hairs on my arm, so vinyl/rubber/plastic strap is ok. I think fabric or leather won't work on a waterproof watch. I've looked around but I'm failing miserably. I only want to spend about £50. Any ideas?

WaitingForVino Fri 27-Feb-09 17:52:20

Hmm. Sophisticated and plastic. Big ask.

You may have luck at a big Swatch shop though, they have many designs these days. Unfortunately I don't have such a shop close to home but if you fancy a short break to Vienna, there's a 2 storey one in the city centre as well as a ginormous H&M with lovely things in it. hmm

HeadFairy Fri 27-Feb-09 17:57:30

I know I'm asking a lot! Hmmmm Vienna, I'd love to go, dh and I went for a long weekend pre ds and it's fab.

I've had a browse of the swatches available online and perhaps there's too much choice but I'm slightly dazzled by how many there are to choose from. Perhaps I should just get another baby g but in black

I don't mind anything sporty looking, it doesn't have to be a rolex type thingy (and for £50 it won't be!)

WaitingForVino Fri 27-Feb-09 18:00:04

hang on I'll have a look at swatch and see if I can pick something - just to help you see -

WaitingForVino Fri 27-Feb-09 18:05:37

any clues as to your style? Here are some which might be 'sophisticated' and 'plastic'?

silver

pure white

square white

HeadFairy Fri 27-Feb-09 18:20:33

hmmm I shouldn't have started looking at those watches, I want about 8!!! I quite like this one if that helps with style. I know it's got a metal bracelet, I'm probably going to have to accept that. Perhaps I can wax my wrists

WaitingForVino Fri 27-Feb-09 18:46:46

Ooh I like that one!

I was about to ebay my watch as I don't wear it anymore, maybe you'd like it?

(it's worth waxing wrists for )

tag heuer

HeadFairy Fri 27-Feb-09 18:54:22

oooo that's lovely. what were you hoping to get for it?

WaitingForVino Fri 27-Feb-09 18:56:55

<grimace> more than £50 must admit - paid almost £3k for it 4 years ago.

can't imagine i'd get more than a couple hundred quid for it now though if I took it to a pawnbroker or similar.

HeadFairy Fri 27-Feb-09 19:02:21

oops! out of my budget I'm afraid. It's lovely though, good luck with selling it. I only need a cheapie to last a couple of years, dh has promised me a rolex for my 40th in a couple of years time. Perhaps I'll have a look at getting one of those.

WaitingForVino Fri 27-Feb-09 19:03:14

if you do go for a Rolex get it at duty free - bargain of the century!

good luck with your hunt

HeadFairy Fri 27-Feb-09 19:06:24

Well my mum travels loads so dh might get her to get it, or as dh is from Jersey he could make a little trip over to get one.

WaitingForVino Fri 27-Feb-09 19:39:46

got DH one for our engagement gift - felt guilty I got a ring and he got naught but a bad cold that day. That was back when I (sort of) had spare cash...hmm. Duty free definitely saves you though, and tis still legit merchandise.

HeadFairy Fri 27-Feb-09 19:41:24

You know that's exactly what I was going to do for dh, I felt guilty he'd bought me an engagement ring, so I promised him a Tag Monaco. I think I may have to reciprocate the 40th birthday present to him, our birthdays are a week apart so it'll be a really big surprise for him

WaitingForVino Fri 27-Feb-09 19:44:46

great minds think alike

bluebump Fri 27-Feb-09 19:48:36

WaitingForVino i've got that watch but without the diamonds! Can't believe you want just a couple of hundred for it!

WaitingForVino Fri 27-Feb-09 20:11:05

oops. posted the link too quickly blush mine hasn't got diamonds either - now that I look at the photo more closely I see the difference.

do you like yours? is it automatic too?

bluebump Fri 27-Feb-09 20:23:29

This is mine. I LOVE it. It was a present and I was very cautious about wearing it to start with but wouldn't be without it now.

Not quite sure what automatic means blush

WaitingForVino Fri 27-Feb-09 21:59:32

Bluebump, that is mine exactly!

Automatic refers to the type of movement. It means it winds itself automatically when you wear it, because there's a magical device which senses movement and somehow through a physical property I don't understand due to a hotchpotch of schooling involving 'kinetics' it never needs winding or a battery.

Except mine. Which is automatic but I find I need to shake my wrist when wearing it in order to keep it fully wound and on-time.

assuming this will be a thread killer

bluebump Sat 28-Feb-09 10:55:15

Oh no, i'll kill the thread instead smile...

Mine isn't automatic then, it needed a new battery a while ago which cost me around 50 quid (ouch!), but it was quite clever and it skips 2 seconds at a time to warn you that you need one.

HeadFairy Tue 03-Mar-09 16:24:29

Don't worry, I'll finish this thread off. Finally found one it's not as pink as it looks in the picture but still rather nice, and just a tad over my budget. Not plastic though, but luckily the bracelet strap doesn't pinch off all my hairs...

WaitingForVino Tue 03-Mar-09 19:09:45

HF that's a great find.

HeadFairy Tue 03-Mar-09 19:11:49

Thanks... only prob (God I'm so blonde) I've just realised it doesn't glow in the dark and I specifically wanted a watch I can read at night. Last week I got up and started getting dressed when ds started grumbling.... It was 2.15am!!!!! But now I love my new watch so I'll just have to get a bedside clock too (grrr)

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: