Talk

Advanced search

Are trousers suits OK for a wedding?

(13 Posts)
HensMum Wed 25-Feb-09 13:56:30

I'm going to two weddings this year, one in April and the other in July. They are different sets of friends, luckily, so I only need one outfit.

I don't like wearing dresses. They rarely look good on me - I'm pear shaped, size 14/16 with horrible legs.

Can I get away with wearing a trouser suit? I've seen a nice one in Next in chocolate brown linen. It would be versatile and handy for the April wedding as I could wear the jacket if it got chilly but is it too boring and officey? I'd obviously dress it up with heels, nice top and jewellry.

MadreInglese Wed 25-Feb-09 13:57:55

Absolutely ok, it sounds lovely, and will look great with fab accessories!

HappyHome Wed 25-Feb-09 14:16:58

I like to cover up my legs too and have worn trouser suits for weddings. Worn with the right accessories they can look great and not officey at all. Go for it!

compo Wed 25-Feb-09 14:18:35

yes agree it sounds fine
I'm the same shape and size as you, am 5ft 6 , and thought all dresses looked hideous until I went to Hobbs ad then brought down loads for me to try on and one was very flattering and hide my tummy, most of my legs. Could be worth a try?

HensMum Wed 25-Feb-09 15:10:01

Thanks Compo, I'll try Hobbs. And if not, I'll get back to Next and hope that trouser suit fits...

Drusilla Wed 25-Feb-09 16:13:37

Wellfitting trouser suit that you feel good in will look better than a badly fitting dress you are uncomfortable in. I am biased though, I got married in a trouser suit! I feel your pain regarding dreeses smile

sifuentes Wed 25-Feb-09 16:54:02

Course you can! - can look tres sexy with vertiginous heels, a lovely low cut camisole underneath and layered necklaces...

I think Kate Moss wore won recently to a wedding, so that means it's like, todally cool, obviously grin

i agree with drusilla. Are you tallish? if so Reiss do really lovely suits.

HensMum Wed 25-Feb-09 17:01:03

I am indeed tallish - 5'7.5" but my legs are short so heels would be a necessity.
Right, Reiss and Hobbs it is then. The advantage of having two weddings to wear the outfit to is that I feel fully justified in spending twice as much as I normally would!

newgirl Wed 25-Feb-09 17:06:35

can i add that a brown suit however fab in july may feel really uncomfortable - too dark, pos too hot to wear a jacket all day?

im not sure on trousers for weddings - ive done it and tbh ive felt a bit frumpy when ive got there - not the sexy one, the sensible one iyswim

can i pursuade you to at least try on a few dresses - you sound lovely and tall - you might find something surprising

sassy Wed 25-Feb-09 17:13:14

I wore shorts to a wedding last summer!

(They were linen city shorts, not cut-off denim)

Looked v smart, loads of compliments and felt comfortable and practical all day.

Do it.

KristinaM Wed 25-Feb-09 17:24:08

I have just looked at our wedding photos as i coudlnt remeber who wore suits

conclusion - those ladies who wore plain dark suits did look quite officey. even with heels

lighter colours less officey

so not sure how brown linen woudl be - depends on the cut and accessories as well i think

one guest wore very flowing black trousers in a drapey fabric and strappy top and pashmine thing and hat and looked wedding - y

HTH

sifuentes Wed 25-Feb-09 18:21:08

Funky enough top underneath and you'll be all right i reckon. But yeah you should try on the dresses once you're already in the shop.You might surprise yourself. I told myself for years I couldn't wear skirts and now I do all the time...

HensMum Thu 05-Mar-09 14:43:47

Compo, just popping back to say thanks for the idea to try Hobbs.
I found a dress! Look here

It's nicer in real life I think. I tried on a 16 and it fits Ok but bags a bit under the arms so I've ordered a 14 but if that's no good, I'll just get the 16 and not lift my arms up! grin

I'm chuffed, it feels much more weddingy than trousers and actually looks nice.

Just need to buy shoes, handbag and a wrap to go over the dress for the April wedding and I am all set!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now