Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

How much does a perm cost - and can you get one on shortish hair?

(15 Posts)
Flightattendant27 Mon 23-Feb-09 19:14:04

Haven't had a perm since Toni and Guy experience 10 years ago...but the other thread got me wondering.

I have just below the shoulder hair and it's got layers in - shortest chin length. Quite thickish, wavy-straight.

I wondered what I should expect to pay and also if it will wreck my hair condition wise - it's quite nice at the moment having grown back from short cut when ds2 was tiny (it had got v thin)

Any advice appreciated smile

Flightattendant27 Mon 23-Feb-09 19:18:24

Oh great am on the ignore list again tonite grin

Hogiabach Mon 23-Feb-09 20:57:20

I too am thinking of a perm, as I have long very fine straight hair and I just want more body and bounce....no idea how much they cost though as I last had a perm 16 years ago blush

Flightattendant27 Mon 23-Feb-09 20:59:26

Oh but i am so glad you answered!!! Thankyou smile

I've ragged my hair tonight. See how dreadful it looks in the morning and make a decision from that grin

Flightattendant27 Mon 23-Feb-09 21:00:03

envy at long though...

toddlerama Mon 23-Feb-09 21:25:01

Varies wildly, but my sister just paid £80 for shoulder length perm. She straightens it every day. It never really looks like you imagine it will....

MrsSeanBean Tue 24-Feb-09 23:17:51

About £60 I think.
Think carefully before going down the perm route, that's all I'm going to say.

wink

alicecrail Tue 24-Feb-09 23:23:49

Just don't!

TheCrackFox Tue 24-Feb-09 23:27:41

If you have thick hair then, please, for the love of God do not have it permed. You will just give it volume, which you do not need.

There is a reason why they went out of fashion 20 years ago and never came back into fashion.

Flightattendant27 Wed 25-Feb-09 07:07:08

Thankyou for all the advice!!!smile

Well, I rag-curled it the other night and it looked fab sad

It's naturally not that thick, just wavy and boring. It really was lovely to have a bit of volume for once - even my mother liked it hmm and I felt like a different person.

The question is how to achieve this on a regular basis? I didn't get much sleep with little knots all over my head!

Buda Wed 25-Feb-09 07:14:15

Hi FA!

The only warning I will give is that a perm will make your hair look shorter. I did it twice with what I thought was long-enough hair. I looked matronly. The chemicals alter the feel of your hair too - much more than ragging it will.

I had the 80s perms in the 80s - curly bob mostly - loved it. Would love it to come back in!

Flightattendant27 Wed 25-Feb-09 07:26:53

grin

Thanks Buda! Yes I remember that look. It's very nice actually isn't it!

I had a perm once when my hair was shorter, it was ok, but I never really looked nice in those days as I was still anorexic so it was kind of a shame.

I'd forgotten the way it makes your hair feel different. I don't really like messing with it tbh - never dye it or anything - but wish there was a way to make it thicker and curlier all the time.

Hmmm. <ponders>
Can't afford to have a perm anyway by the look of it!

earthpixie Wed 25-Feb-09 07:59:42

Perms are horrid things - I've had hundreds and looked crap EVERY TIME.

they promise so much and deliver matronly frizz.

Flightattendant27 Wed 25-Feb-09 09:37:13

Lol. I do quite like matronly frizz though blush

We are talking Anita Roddick right Buda? grin

Buda Wed 25-Feb-09 10:41:56

Oh God no FA! Her hair wore her imho.

Mine was always just above shoulder length and I loved it. So easy to manage.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: