Talk

Advanced search

Hunter wellies: worth the money?

(26 Posts)
mrsbabookaloo Thu 12-Feb-09 11:10:36

I'm the last person who would buy designer wellies, and not at all the "horsey country- living" type, but have realised in all this snow and rain that wellies would be useful and now I've seen that Hunter do wellies in PURPLE, I really want some.

So, are they comfy, practical, long-lasting, good for walking, easy to clean? Worth £60?

Also, don't think I should buy online, think i should try on, where would I go to get some in RL, in London?

TIA

candleskormafor2andcheapwine Thu 12-Feb-09 11:12:20

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

saythatagain Thu 12-Feb-09 11:13:00

I've got a pair of lilac ones! I bought them online. Just google budget hunter wellies!
I am wide of calf but they're all right in that dept. I think they're worth the money imo.

candleskormafor2andcheapwine Thu 12-Feb-09 11:13:40

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MitchyInge Thu 12-Feb-09 11:13:46

I've got those aubergine Hunters!

they are very comfortable and last for ages, although not bramble-proof - easily worth the money and you can tighten them so they keep your legs warmer

MitchyInge Thu 12-Feb-09 11:14:39

aren't they nice

wools Thu 12-Feb-09 11:16:18

TKMaxx had some hunter wellies in yesterday although I could only see large and small sizes left.

nickytwotimes Thu 12-Feb-09 11:16:34

I've got a green pair. Bught them cheap form an Army Navy store when I was 16, nearly 20 years ago.

For me, they can only really be green, or navy if you are royal.

Molesworth Thu 12-Feb-09 11:17:38

there are some on this site for £24.45

saythatagain Thu 12-Feb-09 11:18:28

Mine are actually iris (more purple), on the Uttings wbsite they are just under £40

Astrophe Thu 12-Feb-09 11:20:30

well I bought some young hunters for my kids, and they seem to fit them well - much more like a shoe ftting than normal cheap wellies, and more cushioning. Don't know about the adults ones. The kids ones don't really tighten, they have a fake tightening thng, which was disapointing.

I am not so keen on the coloured ones and I'm not so keen on the ones with the defined heel (the classic Hunter) but I have dark brown ones lined with leather which cost a blardy fortune and were totally worth it. They look much more like a normal boot than the classic one, here they are. And adjustable side v good for socks, jeans, whatever. They are toasty warm, dry, grippy on ice and deffo bramble proof!

mrsbabookaloo Thu 12-Feb-09 11:30:50

Gosh, that was quick!

Thanks all.

Candleskorma etc, thanks, i did go to the store locator after I started the thread, it was silly of me not to look it up first.

Molesworth, great price and thanks for the link, but it's got to be aubergine, not lilac!

CaptainKarvol Thu 12-Feb-09 11:33:24

DH got some last week - they were less than £60, and they are great. See here www.sweetfeetshoes.co.uk/sfproducts.php?cat=94&category=95

spugs Thu 12-Feb-09 13:16:13

i have navy ones and love them. if your tall and have slim calfs get the mens there a better fit (longer and narrower) and the welly sock things are good

spugs Thu 12-Feb-09 13:43:39

i want somw welly socks now after looking on the hunter webste!
pink or light blue to go with navy wellies???

Wizzska Thu 12-Feb-09 13:48:59

I bought some aubergine ones. I don't like them. I bought them for a camping holiday in cornwall. Thought they'd be good for walking down to the beach. Turns out they really rub the back of my heels as the moulded bit cuts in so I can't walk in them very far. With normal leather boots they will stretch but rubber doesn't.

BirdyArms Thu 12-Feb-09 14:15:56

Definitely try them on first. I had them as a horsey teenager and so thought I knew my size. I bought the mens and my calves are obviously not as slender as they used to be - I can only really wear mine with skinny jeans.

MamacitaGordita Thu 12-Feb-09 14:22:47

I agree with BirdyArms- mine are quite fitted in the calves. I think either buy cheap cheap cheap wellies to replace regularly or splash out a bit- I've bought lovely patterned ones before that have just fallen apart and my hunter ones (pink!) are lasting really well. Worth the cost. If you really want warmth and longevity though go for the real deal like VintageChampagne suggests.

I love my pink ones but yes, green gives you more street cred. Or hill cred!

mrsbabookaloo Sat 14-Feb-09 15:22:09

Thanks all! Might be naughty and try on in shop then buy cheaper online!

leoleosuperstar Sat 14-Feb-09 16:13:01

Would anyone mind giving the calf measurements please for the normal ladies ones..
I have noticed the childrens ones go up to a size 5 and are approx £25.

FredaB Fri 28-Oct-16 21:22:02

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

DonkeyOaty Fri 28-Oct-16 21:25:09

Freda.

You've made your point. No need to bore on about Hunter boots any further.

Thanks ever so.

MsAdorabelleDearheartVonLipwig Fri 28-Oct-16 21:29:27

grin

llangennith Fri 28-Oct-16 21:31:12

Boring as it is DonkeyOatey, FredaB is talking sense grin
Hunter wellies are very comfortable and the Huntress is the wide calf version. Yes you can walk miles in them.
Unfortunately they're not as well made as they were, and these days there are many comfortable alternatives.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now