Advanced search

Would it be weird to wear this as perfume?

(14 Posts)
muggglewump Sun 25-Jan-09 17:49:44

I was browsing in a shop this afternoon and had been looking at perfumes, not with a view to buy though but then I smelled one and loved it so squirted some on and noted the name. I've just looked it up on the site to buy with leftover Christmas money and see it is room frangrance blush I'm sure the shop assisstants think me a weird nutter but would it be OK to buy it as perfume?

mrsmaidamess Sun 25-Jan-09 17:51:28

Would it be safe on your skin? Perfume goes through quite rigorous testing for sensitivity I think, which a room fragrance would not.

NotQuiteCockney Sun 25-Jan-09 17:55:46

Maybe see if the same firm makes some fragrances you might like to? I'd worry about skin damage, or how it might wear over the hours, too ...

TheRealMrsJohnSimm Sun 25-Jan-09 18:00:50

I definitely wouldn't wear room fragrance as perfume for the same reasons given by the others.

which fragrance is it?

muggglewump Sun 25-Jan-09 18:01:30

I hadn't though of that but it seems fine, no itching or anything.
I just can't work out if it's a weird thing to do or fine as it smells nice and not like a cheap air freshener.
It's this. Hmm, when I read the blurb it screams of air freshener but I wouldn't have known, and didn't until I looked it up, but then I've never heard of room fragrance until today!

piratecat Sun 25-Jan-09 18:03:27

so many times i have picked up a room fragrance and thought it was a perfume blush

i am not sure if i'd put it on my skin tho, might spray it on a scarf or something tho!!

LynetteScavo Sun 25-Jan-09 18:04:25

Spray it on your clothes. You will have a lovely smelling wardrobe,andyou will smell nice

TheRealMrsJohnSimm Sun 25-Jan-09 18:06:24

Thing is, the concentration of essential oils and additional chemicals will be different to a perfume. It may be okay as a one off but over time may cause some kind of reaction. IME, Arran Aromatics are a good quality company but the testing that product will have undergone will not be the same as for perfume. If you really are stuck on the idea of wearing it, then I would contact them for advice.

muggglewump Sun 25-Jan-09 18:10:11

Oh yes, I hadn't thought of my clothes.
Is it OK then and not weird to smell of it?

I just love the smell.

TheRealMrsJohnSimm Sun 25-Jan-09 19:23:25

If you love the smell then go for it . I shouldn't think for one minute that you are going to be inundated with passers-by stating "My god, that woman is wearing room fragrance!"

ninedragons Mon 26-Jan-09 00:11:00

I used to wear Shanghai Tang Ginger Lily room fragrance until they brought it out as a proper perfume. I never got a rash and I have terribly sensitive skin.

ninedragons Mon 26-Jan-09 00:13:12

But a couple of people did say to me gosh, you smell exactly like Shanghai Tang. The shops all pump the Ginger Lily fragrance into the air and it's very distinctive.

I only admitted to the good friends that it was because I was wearing the room spray. Everyone else I just said oh really? how odd.

twinsetandpearls Mon 26-Jan-09 00:13:13

As long as you dont move on to shake n vac next.

LightShinesInTheDarkness Mon 26-Jan-09 00:25:21

lol twinset!

I am sure that if you took a sample of the fragrance to a half-decent perfume counter, someone would be able to identify the 'notes' and recommend a similar perfume.

Putting room fragrance on your skin does not sound like a great idea - but why not buy it to use indoors. You will get the benefit of the fragrance that way, if you use it as perfume its everyone else that smells it, you can't smell scent on yourself after a while.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now