Talk

Advanced search

bohemian fashion for frumpy mum!

(23 Posts)
unicorn Sat 02-Apr-05 18:49:34

Help!!..

I really like the hippy chic stuff out at moment.. but realise I am not 20 something... and I would look awful in most of it(thin straps, plunging necklines etc!)

What I think I probably could get away with, is a sort of longish, er well, Kaftan I guess, over some linen pants.

So any suggestions for pretty - not too expensive ones?

ambrosia Sat 02-Apr-05 19:14:42

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Blossomhill Sat 02-Apr-05 19:15:35

Yes, second primark. Loads of lovely cheap boho, hippy stuff

unicorn Sun 03-Apr-05 15:06:49

feel a trip to Primark is due.

Anyone else know what I mean re these long Kaftany things? Can't seem to find what I want anywhere.

I need it long enough to cover bum, with sleeves to cover arms, but loose enough to be comfy and cool for spring/summer.

Anyone seen something similar anywhere?

NomDePlume Sun 03-Apr-05 15:28:09

I got one from the Pilot outlet shop in Devon recently. It was a bargain too. Plain white with a fluted type sleeve and deepish v neck, is just below bum length.

unicorn Sun 03-Apr-05 15:55:01

that sounds the sort of thing, ta will take a look.

maisystar Sun 03-Apr-05 16:00:31

they do have a longish (knee length) kaftan tunic thing in primark. white or black with gold bits round the neck, really nice and a bargainous £8 i think

motherinferior Sun 03-Apr-05 18:31:29

Try Tesco, believe it or not; our local ones has some kaftans (they're more kurta tops, really, aren't they) in black, or orange (very fetching) or I think pink. Cheap.

Or if you want to be all liberalpinko you could splash out on the white empire ruffle top here

unicorn Sun 03-Apr-05 19:54:07

kurta tops... blimey see how untrendy I am- never heard of them!

Thanks MI.. will check out Tesco too.

Would quite like a colourful/patterned one tho...
any more ideas anyone?

tamum Sun 03-Apr-05 20:17:03

I like a lot of stuff from Bishopston Trading . It's all fair trade, and they've got a few things that might do, although they tend to use quite heavy cotton. Failing that there are quite a few things on eBay if you search on "kurta" (thanks to MI's superior knowledge!)

Miaou Sun 03-Apr-05 20:18:25

Me too, unicorn - ie frumpy mum seeking boho fashion! Only I'm a billion miles from the shops, so any internet suggestions, anyone?

motherinferior Sun 03-Apr-05 20:22:41

The Kew catalogue has some nice boho-ish stuff, but it doesn't seem to be online yet.

I fear I end up with a mumsy/boho crossover, really...mumbo?

hoxtonchick Sun 03-Apr-05 20:23:34

i was lusting over the kew catalogue yesterday MI - lovely colours. roll on summer... (ps your link doesn't work).

CountessDracula Sun 03-Apr-05 20:24:37

Monsoon have some

Smurfgirl Sun 03-Apr-05 21:28:39

Tescos. Oasis had some I think? For the kaftan thingys.

I would totally go for a tiered skirt and flats (flip flops?) easy to wear and yeah. And I am 20 and totally hippy chic and never wear thin straps or plunging necklines

snafu Sun 03-Apr-05 21:53:21

Dunno about mumbo, more like bumsy if the sight of me today in new (supposedly flattering) long raspberry-coloured flippy boho skirt is anything to go by. First time in ages I have thought 'Hmmm, clothes in magazines that might not make me look ridiculous' - wrong!!!!!!!

unicorn Sun 03-Apr-05 21:56:57

oh god... it's that image v reality thing isn't it snafu?

I used to wear this stuff when I was young/lithe and er 18!!!...

I still like it... and I'm sure there must be something suitable for the 'mature' lady (yak yak...... am I really that??!)

snafu Sun 03-Apr-05 22:02:22

I thought I looked great as well - when I left the house. Flip-flops, long skirt, vest top, very cute little sheer embroidered thing over the top. Then I sat around for three hours in the company of a load of twenty-three-year-olds in perfect jeans and devastatingly cool t-shirts and looked like what I was - overdressed, sweaty, chunky and frumpy. Gaaaaah!

WideWebWitch Sun 03-Apr-05 22:08:30

Oh no snafu! This is why I don't even attempt trendy.

unicorn Sun 03-Apr-05 22:12:46

awwwwwh I bet you didn't look as bad as you felt snafu... it's your own perception (self confidence - or lack of)

but I would suggest that you don't go out in the company of 23 yr olds - can't be good!!!!

(unless you too are 23, and I have done a unicorn foot in mouth classic !)

debs26 Sun 03-Apr-05 22:14:55

dorothy perkins have fab online sale atm

snafu Sun 03-Apr-05 22:19:46

unicorn - no, not 23 anymore!

But only 31 - surely still far too young to be feeling that I should just resign myself to crimplene elasticated waists and those Innovations catalogue tartan slipper-boot things...

motherinferior Mon 04-Apr-05 20:39:54

Snafu
You need to move. Definitely. Come and live in my bit of Sarfeast Lunnon, at my most custardy I can still venture out of the house.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now