Talk

Advanced search

which martial art? (for me)

(20 Posts)
binkie Thu 31-Mar-05 09:37:41

Posted this in the little-used Sports section: trying again ...

For a middle-sized, middle-shaped, nearly-mid-forties, very out of condition & unco-ordinated mum of 2. Think the discipline would do me good.

Recommendations, anyone?

alux Thu 31-Mar-05 09:42:33

Start with Tai Chi! Relaxation, concentration, stretching, breathing techniques, and they are really combat moves slowed down so if you decide to move into another discipline, a lot of them will already be familiar.

gscrym Thu 31-Mar-05 09:42:51

Depends what you want to do, how you see your flexibility going. I was thinking abou going back to one. I did Kung-fu and semi contact fighting 7 years ago and really enjoyed it. Do think you would be more interested in the theory (Kata, sets whatever each style calls their set patterns) or the fighting/sparring side of it. I tried Tai Chi for a little while but found it a bit boring. At the time I was competing so it wasn't my thing.
Find out what's on in your area and go round them. They'll all tell you it's just the thing for you but look at how the instructor or sensei looks after the class and how much like an army drill seargant they are.

alux Thu 31-Mar-05 09:43:29

oooohhh, and weight bearing (your own) exercise.

gscrym Thu 31-Mar-05 09:44:17

Pity you aren't in Falkirk cause then I'd have someone to go with my stecky, wobbly body to classes. I was thinking Tae Kwan Do myself.

binkie Thu 31-Mar-05 10:01:28

thanks for those! Ds (nearly six) does Tae Kwon Do with a charismatic Brazilian who also does adults, but I don't really want to barge in on ds's space there.

Tai Chi sounds really good - I tend to function on adrenaline and anxiety so starting with something that consciously slows me down would probably be ideal. For that reason, I probably need the physical/mental control aspect before the sparring bit.

Not Falkirk, sadly ... central/west London. Any recommendations there? - or further inspirations?

alux Thu 31-Mar-05 13:27:10

I do Shotokan Karate (when not pg) which I thoroughly enjoy. My club brings in other senseis from other martial arts disciplines from time to time. I think that aikido is fascinating. Again, a lot of control. If tai chi is too slow, I would try Aikido next. Aikido seem to work with your body weight and the weight of your opponent to get the advantage. Find out if clubs in your area have a trial evening.

Shotokan is great but I'm thinking that maybe you would like something less physical to start out with. I love the discipline that I see even the most scatterbrained child eventually gets taught.

lou33 Thu 31-Mar-05 14:21:31

Tai chi my friend says. He does kickboxing.

binkie Thu 31-Mar-05 15:00:57

tai chi it is.

but: I have just been surfing and where on earth do I start? There are dozens of organisations, dozens it seems of sub-sets of the art itself. Is it the sort of thing I ought to try to find a group lesson for, or is it like Alexander technique and you really need one-on-one? There's a rather corporate personal training outfit nearby which would do it, but I don't want to do individual tuition if it really ought to be a group experience ... help??

alux Thu 31-Mar-05 16:23:38

go for a group instruction club. I would make priliminary enquiries at one that has been established for a long time. My club allows interested people to sit and observe at the sidelines during a couple lessons to see if it is for you. (they may ask that you stay for the whole lesson as people coming and going is a distraction). Remember that the one that charges the most is not necessarily the best.

I don't think the style matters to a beginner. To start is more important.

gscrym Thu 31-Mar-05 16:29:43

Every martial art is the same in that way, they all divide into different groups under the same style (kung fu - Lau Gar, Wing Chun, Jun Fan etc, kickboxing - Tai, full contact, semi contact etc) and withing those, there are probably different associations that clubs are affliated with. Like Alux says, observing a few classes is the way to go. Whatever style and association you pick, have a great time.

alux Thu 31-Mar-05 16:38:00

found these links for you
here

and

here

lou33 Thu 31-Mar-05 19:03:04

i could ask my friend for you if you like?

binkie Thu 31-Mar-05 21:36:46

lou, yes please - pointers would be really helpful! alux, thanks for the links - so very many options (and I only need wait 7 years before I'm an "elder" and get courses free ............

motherinferior Thu 31-Mar-05 21:38:22

DP teaches t'ai chi. On a Tuesday night, not for a living.

binkie Thu 31-Mar-05 21:39:12

no, really??

motherinferior Thu 31-Mar-05 21:41:15

Absolutely. He used to go on two Tai Chi courses a year as well, instead of going on holiday, before taking up with me (and indeed sloped off on one when I was pregnant with DD2). He will tell you about it with the zeal of a cult member, I fear.

binkie Thu 31-Mar-05 21:50:25

well he's most welcome!

lou33 Fri 01-Apr-05 01:08:06

I usually see him most days, so will ask him tomorrow

hub2dee Fri 01-Apr-05 08:42:27

Anyone done any Krav Maga ? (Was contemplating....)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now