Talk

Advanced search

Chunky legs - best footwear with dresses?

(49 Posts)
Sheila Tue 29-Mar-05 14:37:57

Inspired by the wrap dresses thread I've ordered a summer dress from Top Shop. Can any of you wise ladies advise me what's the best footwear to waer with it, bearing in mind I have legs like a giant redwood, although I do have thin ankles in relation to my footballer calves?

Or should I bow to the inevitable and stick to trousers?!

NomDePlume Tue 29-Mar-05 14:39:57

if you have good ankles then go with a heel, but nothing with an ankle strap or it'll cancel out the effect of your slim ankles ! what length is the dress ?

Demented Tue 29-Mar-05 14:40:26

Probably best to avoid anything too flat, a small heel would be flattering (if you can walk in them).

NomDePlume Tue 29-Mar-05 14:41:34

kitten heels (2 inches high, like a little stilletto heel) always look good.

Sheila Tue 29-Mar-05 14:42:31

Knee length I think. Would boots be OK do you think or is it too late in the season? Was thinking maybe cowboy boots with a bit of a heel.

docket Tue 29-Mar-05 14:42:48

NDP is right about the ankle strap, these make even the loveliest legs look a touch stumpy. I'd go for a plain court shoe for a classy and elongated look. ps, what are legs like a giant redwood?!

NomDePlume Tue 29-Mar-05 14:44:33

I hope not sheila, I've just bought a pair of brown boots to wear with my choccie brown wrap dress ! I think we can get away with boots in the Spring here in chilly old Blighty .

Personally I'd avoid cowboy boots, a) because I don't like them and b) because they can make knees look a bit blobby, IMO.

Sheila Tue 29-Mar-05 14:46:09

Like the kitten heel idea (easy to walk in too) but what's the position re tights? In the hope we get some warm weather (dress is sleeveless) should I try some nude gloss tights or are they just too tacky? Need to hide spider veins on footballer calves. What an attractive picture I'm painting - you can see why I've always stuck to trousers before now! I long for the swish of a dress though.

Sheila Tue 29-Mar-05 14:48:50

Legs like a giant redwood (tree) are just v. chunky but unlike a giant redwood unfortunately also very short. I have thin arms and torso but big hips and thighs. Sigh.

almost40 Tue 29-Mar-05 14:49:44

If it's warm enough out, how about a pair of mules? You can get either a sandal type or a closed-toe, and you would wear them without tights.

sweetmonkey Tue 29-Mar-05 14:52:00

i like you have veins on my legs. had a spray tan done on sat just on my legs and it really does improve the look of the legs.also iget a free top up on sat which is even better. all for £10 too .bargain!!! it was so nice wearing skirts over the weekend and not feeling paranoid!!!

NomDePlume Tue 29-Mar-05 14:52:25

I think very subtle tights would be fine with a closed toe shoe. I wouldn't go too glossy or obvious in colour or texture. Finding the right hopsiery can be a bit or a minefield, IME

Sheila Tue 29-Mar-05 14:52:46

NdP - what sort of boots are best if not cowboy?
Many thanks for all replies - hope nobody minds me bleeding you all white for ideas...

NomDePlume Tue 29-Mar-05 14:56:20

My calves are slim to average, but I don't think that makes a difference where knee highs are concerned, although it can make buying them more diificult if you are larger of calf , but they do exist !!!

I've just gone for normal knee highs with a 3inch heel - not as tarty as they sound !!!!

I have got some lovely black knee highs with a kitten heel and they are fab. Something like these would be good

Obviously I may be barking up the wrong tree completely without seeing the dress itself !

Enid Tue 29-Mar-05 14:59:14

how are your knees? Mine are awful so I always go for a on the knee style with black tights, in the spring I go for long skirts and trousers until the weather is good enough to do fake tan and on the knee skirts.

If you want boots make sure you get a style that goes up to your knee, the three quarter ones that are everywhere at the mo are very unflattering on all but the slimmest legs IMO.

Sheila Tue 29-Mar-05 15:04:06

The dress is here in the dresses section (sorry can't seem to link direct to image):

Wallpaper Print Wrap Dress

A bit loud for me (normally wear safe classics) but what the hell!

aloha Tue 29-Mar-05 15:04:49

knee-high boots with a heel of any kind would be good, or sandals with a lowish front and a heel any kind of heel is OK though I think chunky-ish work better with thick legs than stilettos or even kitten heels. I hate court shoes! They make me look unbelievably mumsy. They are better if they are a ballet pump shape - ie low cut on the foot as this elogates the leg. The more foot on show the more flattering it is. But right now boots with a thermal lining would be best! As for tights, fishnets look nice in spring, I think. I think black opaques look a bit dated.

Sponge Tue 29-Mar-05 15:05:09

I would certainly wear tights at this time of year - too bleedin' cold for bare legs! Roughly skin coloured or skin with a light tan on it is best - but not shiny. Shiny is only for evening IMO.

NomDePlume Tue 29-Mar-05 15:06:08

I think cowboy boots would look a bit busy with that. I'd either wear low brown kitten heels or plain brown knee boots with that dress

aloha Tue 29-Mar-05 15:06:29

Seen your link - I think brown knee high boots now, with brown fishnets and some sort of cardigan, then thong-type sandals when it's properly warm.

Sheila Tue 29-Mar-05 15:13:59

oooh thank you - you are all so wise and so generous! Wish I could take you all shopping with me.

Will go for (light?) brown boots now and kitten heels if and when it warms up a bit. Don't let's get started on the cardi issue - another no-go area for me. I always seem to end up looking frumpy.

Hope the damn thing fits me when it arrives...

gingerbear Tue 29-Mar-05 15:14:58

I have chunky legs too - I have these M&S wedge mules in Khaki - they would be perfect with that dress:

mules

Sheila Tue 29-Mar-05 15:20:34

Now I'm torn Gingerbear - like look, colour and price of these. Do you find the top strap shortens the look of your leg a bit (see Aloha's comments below about showing as much foot as poss.)?

Also, do you find you fall off them? I had a pair of mules a few years ago that nearly broke my ankle - I was always slipping sideways out of them!

hermykne Tue 29-Mar-05 15:29:42

sheila yourrightthe top strap will cut your foot and make itlook shorter, need a lower strap and not one on the instep.

gingerbear Tue 29-Mar-05 15:32:00

they are very comfy Shiela. Not fallen off yet - try a pair on in M&S and have a walk round the store (that is what I did!!

The chunkiness of the wedge balances my chunky calves & compensates for straps.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now